X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tie-breaker rules in WC-2006

Tie-breaker rules

POINT SYSTEM :
    Three points for a win, one point for a draw, and no points for defeat.

TIE-BREAKER RULES :
    If two or more teams finish equal on points after all the group matches have been played, the following criteria shall be applied to determine the ranking :

(1) Goal difference in all the group matches.

(2) Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.

(3) Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.

(4) Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal after applying above criteria).

(5) Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal after applying above criteria).

(6) A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee.

Thanks a lot. Interesting they now again chose goal difference over direct duel!

Comment

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/releas..._090604_en.pdf

Here is the correct one:

(1) Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.

(2) Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal after applying above criteria).

(3) Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal after applying above criteria).

(4) Goal difference in all the group matches.

(5) Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.

(6) A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee for the FIFA world cup.
      We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
      Go IRAN!

Comment

Originally posted by football-doost
        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/releas..._090604_en.pdf
        Here is the correct one:
        (1) Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.
        (2) Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal after applying above criteria).
        (3) Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal after applying above criteria).
        (4) Goal difference in all the group matches.
        (5) Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.
        (6) A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee for the FIFA world cup.
        Oh thank you. I had already started to spread the wrong info among my friends...

Comment

BS man this head-to-head rule is $hit (sorry).......the rule behrooz posted make much more sense!

this guy blatter has made so many bad rule, (golden goal, silver goal, head-to-head tie breaker,....)

Comment

Here is how I got my information:

Go to livescore.com
            click on WC2006
            Click on Table "Match Detail:" (Germany-Costa Rica )
            Click on Tie-Breaker rules( to the right of Poland)

Comment

ok now i'm confused?!?!? i mean i trust livescore but fifa is saying different? can we get to the bottom of this?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Behrooz
                Here is how I got my information:
                Go to livescore.com
                click on WC2006
                Click on Table "Match Detail:" (Germany-Costa Rica )
                Click on Tie-Breaker rules( to the right of Poland)
                Behrooz jaan, who would you trust more? The official organization for the World Cup 2006 and their official annoucement Or a commercial website? I chose the fifa world cup official website. Unless, there has been some changes that are not annouced yet.
                We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
                Go IRAN!

Comment

Football-Doost: I just wanted to mention my source.

Comment

In my opinion, before the catagory (6),that is to draw !, they should give consideration to teams whom had less yellow cards !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X