Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Iran a third rate footballing country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Iran a third rate footballing country?

The main pillar in every organization is good management and sticking to principles.

I am sure you remember the incident in Denmark-Sweden match (Euro 2008 qualification) when a Danish fan tried to punch the referee when he awarded a penalty to Sweden when the score was 3-3. Fortunately he couldn't actually hit the referee. The referee abandoned the match.

After the incident, the perpetrator apologized to Danish and Swedish people and said that he was an idiot. He blamed the incident on him being drunk and acknowledged that he acted like an animal. The police did not disclose his name fearing that his life may be in danger because of anger his action had caused among Danish fans.

And here is the UEFA's decision on the case:
    On Friday, UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body awarded Sweden a 3-0 victory over Denmark, fined the Danish federation $81,000 and ordered the team to play its next four home qualifiers at least 155 miles from Copenhagen.
    Now look at a similar case in our country:

During the SS Ahvaz and Mes match, the referee's assistant declares a ball, that apparently had landed on the goal line, a goal, when the score was 1-0 to SS Ahvaz. After the match ended 1-1, some SS.A. fans invaded the pitch and badly beat up the referees assistant without anyone (including the police) trying to stop them.

The next day SSA club's manager blames the referee for the fans' action and implicitly approves their action. The federation does not take any action by saying that they are waiting for the referee's report. The least they could do was to force SSA's next game to be played behind closed doors. Then, they would have enough time to receive the referee's report and implement the proper penalties.

As of today, nobody knows what happened to the referee's report, and no action has been taken against SSA. There was a simultaneous case against SS Tehran that can help us to understand the mentality of current federation. The Disciplinary Committee had sentenced SS to play the next game without fans. The federation overruled the decision with the most absurd reason: "Because SS is the away team and Pas is the host, the punishment cannot be applied." At the same time they say "SS and PP's away matches with Tehrani teams should be played in Azadi to accommodate SS and PP fans." So SS ends up playing in Azadi with all their fans.

The level of "Ali-Asghari" management and unprofessionalism in Iranian football is staggering. They have absolutely no principles and try to run football affairs by populistic decisions. The main criteria for their decisions is the amount of approval they can get in short term from fans; hence appointment of Ghalenoei as TM head coach and frequent overturns of desciplinary decisions against popular teams.

Now, Is there anyone who is still wondering why we are a third rate footballing country, and there is such a wide gap between Iran and Europe?

Originally posted by Guru
    The main pillar in every organization is good management and sticking to principles.
    Very good observations. I would add a third element. Cultural level of the country as well. When they call a country advanced, it is not just about the cars and factories, it is about cultural level as well. Backwardedness isn't just in technology and industry, it has a cultural element as well.
    Plus, what do you expect from a generation who were beaten up in the schools by principals, teachers and assistant principals and even their parents. Do you expect from this generation to learn to dialogue and use logic?????

I am sure you remember the incident in Denmark-Sweden match (Euro 2008 qualification) when a Danish fan tried to punch the referee when he awarded a penalty to Sweden when the score was 3-3. Fortunately he couldn't actually hit the referee. The referee abandoned the match.

After the incident, the perpetrator apologized to Danish and Swedish people and said that he was an idiot. He blamed the incident on him being drunk and acknowledged that he acted like an animal. The police did not disclose his name fearing that his life may be in danger because of anger his action had caused among Danish fans.

And here is the UEFA's decision on the case:

Now look at a similar case in our country:

During the SS Ahvaz and Mes match, the referee's assistant declares a ball, that apparently had landed on the goal line, a goal, when the score was 1-0 to SS Ahvaz. After the match ended 1-1, some SS.A. fans invaded the pitch and badly beat up the referees assistant without anyone (including the police) trying to stop them.

The next day SSA club's manager blames the referee for the fans' action and implicitly approves their action. The federation does not take any action by saying that they are waiting for the referee's report. The least they could do was to force SSA's next game to be played behind closed doors. Then, they would have enough time to receive the referee's report and implement the proper penalties.

As of today, nobody knows what happened to the referee's report, and no action has been taken against SSA. There was a simultaneous case against SS Tehran that can help us to understand the mentality of current federation. The Disciplinary Committee had sentenced SS to play the next game without fans. The federation overruled the decision with the most absurd reason: "Because SS is the away team and Pas is the host, the punishment cannot be applied." At the same time they say "SS and PP's away matches with Tehrani teams should be played in Azadi to accommodate SS and PP fans." So SS ends up playing in Azadi with all their fans.

The level of "Ali-Asghari" management and unprofessionalism in Iranian football is staggering. They have absolutely no principles and try to run football affairs by populistic decisions. The main criteria for their decisions is the amount of approval they can get in short term from fans; hence appointment of Ghalenoei as TM head coach and frequent overturns of desciplinary decisions against popular teams.

Now, Is there anyone who is still wondering why we are a third rate footballing country, and there is such a wide gap between Iran and Europe?
    Having said that, I think our football, can perform football wise better despite all other short comings.
    "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
    Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
    Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
    sigpic

Comment

when the top is unclear in what its doing, do not wonder about the basement

our football seems not to know what we are following. In fact we are too much driven by emotions and personal preferences.. see anybody who becomes the head of IFF or even the head of a club changes a lot of things dramatically... as if there is no basic ideology to be followed in our football.
      CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Chicago
        I would add a third element. Cultural level of the country as well.
        You are completely right. But bear in mind that the way a country as whole is governed has a lot to do with the cultural development of its people. But, this is not a discussion that can be carried out in a football forum.

Comment

You are completely right. But bear in mind that the way a country as whole is governed has a lot to do with the cultural development of its people. But, this is not a discussion that can be carried out in a football forum.
          Can't agree more. Both issues (governement and cultural developmetn are interdependent). It is like the chicken and egg question? Was the chicken first or egg? General level of country's culture definilty impact the type of government selected and type of slogans and programs that can attract people. And government when in power can totally influence the cultural development of the country.

When I was in Iran, after the revolution, I was talking a number of my close family members and I remember one of my uncles was going like" Dooreh Akhar Zamoon shoodeh, Kommonistha rast rast tooye kheyaboon rah meerand". To him if I labled someone as commuist, he could be arrested, probably killed even. Point is not about being pro or anti communist, it is about lack of respect for basic human rights. Based on this type of outlook and cultural level, then a government can do the massacre of political prisoners in Evin in 1367. Mind you these political prisoners were inside the jail and already sentensed to jail terms and yet again summarily questioned about their belief and if they are muslim and then they got executed.

As you said, it is way deeper than football.
          "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."

sigpic

Comment

lack of infrastructure in anythng that we have in Iran is a known fact for 200 years now. On this ground nothing, including football can't be fruitful specially that the gap has exponentially vired towards proleagues, marketing and money management. In Iran nothing is possible without a direct or indirect stamp of theft attached to it!
            deerooz, emrooz, farda
            zeeremonan
            sheeshtayeea
            The only dynasty of iranian football. ( At least three back to back championships define dynasty, we had moreTeam of the people by the people for the people that fills up 100k stadium like its nothing.
            Future of true professional football if any in Iran!

Comment

Jomhori Islami Iran.
              sigpic
              Salute to anyone who stands against these barbaric, inhumane and irrational laws of ANY religion.

Comment

There is nothing in the IFF which can stop such acts. Most of them at the top think only about the money and being sure that they will keep the post as long as possible. And the situation does not change, even is deterioring.
                Who cares about the referee? Where is there discipline in our football? GN can behave like a child with a referee in a friendly match with HSV. what do you expect from specatotors?

Comment

Good observations, but are you guys really surprised? As I always say; We can't expect our football to be world class because our players, clubs, coaches and fans are not given the opportunities and possibilities to be professional by the men upstairs. Unfortunately, there are many more issues in today's Iran that all need to be dealt with, and football is not one of the most important issues.
                  We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying;
                  And this same flower that smiles today, Tomorrow will be dying."

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by The-Red View Post
                    Jomhori Islami Iran.
                    I think at the core of the issue, the above statement is the most important.
                    We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

Comment

Originally posted by faraz View Post
                      I think at the core of the issue, the above statement is the most important.
                      I am afraid it is more than that. Once back in 1979 everyone thought, it is just matter of changing the government. Guess we (my generation) was wrong. But I agree the getting rid of the current rulers is the first step. But hopefully won't stop there like the last time.

sigpic

Comment

Two very simple reasons, one already mentioned:

1-Bad management (already discussed)
                        2-Bad neighborhood

Why is it that Australia wants to mix in with Asia? To me, they see better
                        competition. Why is it that teams like Armenia, Azarbaijan and Cypress who
                        used to get pummeled in Europe are little by little standing their ground and
                        improving? Thats because if you mix in with a gang that is better than
                        you and can challenge yourself, you can get better.

On the other hand, what do we learn playing in Asia? For starters, teams
                        we used to beat easily are getting better and better, but even teams like
                        S.Korea and N.Korea the traditional power houses of Asia have been
                        stagnent. (N.Korea was the first team that advanced to second round in
                        WC FYI, back in 1966 when the Asia quota was only one!

So playing against unworthy opponents will lower your level of game, in
                        someway you can see the same in North/Central America (Mexico/Canada/U.S).

Comment

Originally posted by gol_kuchik View Post

2-Bad neighborhood

Very true.
                          easier you obsereve in the play-quality-level difference between European leginaires and domestic league players.

If we play slow motion football versus our neighbouring countries all the time, of course we will have speed problem at WC...
                          CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Excellent observation.

As mentioned above, there is no hope for this situation to change as long as the administrative establishments of our country continue the way the do.

We need an independent football federation that will not to have to follow anyone's (but FIFA) directive, if that part is fixed then the rest will improve progressively.

Comment

Originally posted by gol_kuchik View Post
                              Two very simple reasons, one already mentioned:

2-Bad neighborhood

Why is it that Australia wants to mix in with Asia? To me, they see better
                              competition. Why is it that teams like Armenia, Azarbaijan and Cypress who
                              used to get pummeled in Europe are little by little standing their ground and
                              improving? Thats because if you mix in with a gang that is better than
                              you and can challenge yourself, you can get better.

On the other hand, what do we learn playing in Asia? For starters, teams
                              we used to beat easily are getting better and better, but even teams like
                              S.Korea and N.Korea the traditional power houses of Asia have been
                              stagnent. (N.Korea was the first team that advanced to second round in
                              WC FYI, back in 1966 when the Asia quota was only one!

That's a very good observation. Teams like Azerbaijan and Armenia have improved tremendously in recent years. But as important as that is that's not something we should focus on because we're stuck with our neighbors and we're stuck with Asia. Our members are completely right to point out that the absence of a football infrastructure has impeded our progress, but it's also worth pointing out that in a lot of Iran its hard to find a hundred yards of grass. Growing up in Iran we played football every day at the same time, on a rocky field that gave us cuts and bruises, and we played with a toop pelastiki. No matter how much raw talent an area has you can't produce players when those are the conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X