No announcement yet.

Iraqi Phonomenon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a nice article also on Iraq and the Asian Cup.

Iraq to pit defence against high-scoring Saudis in Asian Cup final

JAKARTA (AFP) July 28, 2007 - The best defence takes on the best attack in the tournament as Iraq and Saudi Arabia play off for the region's premier football crown in the Asian Cup final here Sunday.

Iraq, who have captivated the football world with their inspirational progress to the Jakarta decider, have conceded just two goals in five games, while the dazzling Saudis have found the net 12 times.

The Iraqis, emotional favourites as they chase their first-ever Asian Cup title amid all the carnage back home, will have to find a way to restrict the scoring opportunities of the Saudis' star striker Yasser Al Qahtani.

Known as the 'Sniper', he is joint leading tournament sharpshooter with Japan's Naohiro Takahara on four goals and with team-mate Malek Maaz forms a potent striking force for the Iraqi defence.

Iraq have showed great resolve throughout the tournament, crushing Australia 3-1 and negotiating South Korea on penalties in last Wednesday's gruelling two-hour semi-final in Kuala Lumpur.

The triple champion Saudis have played all but one of their five matches in Jakarta and their tournament hopes soared when they shocked favourites Japan 3-2 in their semi-final in Hanoi.

Although Jakarta's cavernous Gelora Bung Karno Stadium is unlikely to be anywhere near full, the two Gulf rivals have been the best two sides in the three-week tournament.

"The Saudis have the best attack with 12 goals and we have the best defence with only two goals conceded," Iraq coach Jorvan Vieira said Saturday.

"That does not mean we haven't scored goals, it just means we have scored the necessary goals to win to be in the final, sometimes it's quality not quantity.

"My boys in my point of view deserve to be in the final, they have worked very hard and we have so many problems in all sectors but the prize is tomorrow, I hope.

"The most important thing is that we have reached the final for the first time in the history of Iraqi football and all Iraq people are very happy."

The final brings together two Brazilian coaches, Vieira and his Saudi counterpart Helios dos Anjos, who has taken the Saudis to their seventh final at the last eight Asian Cups.

"I have spoken to my players about keeping their feet on the ground, this game will not be easy, it will be very hard, it's the final and they are always different," dos Anjos said Saturday.

"There is no favourite in this game, both teams have the same chances. We have our dream to win and Iraq have the same dream."

Dos Anjos said his Saudi team had overcome tough challenges in the tournament -- they drew with eventual semi-finalists South Korea, needed an injury-time winner to douse co-hosts Indonesia, had luck against Uzbekistan and overcame three-time champions Japan -- but Iraq presented a huge challenge.

"Iraq will be very tough opponents," he said. "With the qualities they have, the emotion over the social problems in their country, they will be very motivated to win."

Dos Anjos, coaching outside South America for the first time, said his team's ability to get quality ball to their two strikers, Al Qahtani and Maaz, will be decisive in the outcome.

Yet for both camps it is a win-win scenario for Arab football in the first all-Arab final since the Saudis beat United Arab Emirates on penalties in 1996.

"Of course, there will be pressure for us to do well and we want to win but we are also very pleased for the Iraqis, who are our brothers," Maaz said.

"If they win, we will be happy for them and if we win, I'm sure they will also be happy."
    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

I think I didn't choose the article title properly. As much as Iraq's run to Championship was wonderful, this post didn't want to concentrate on that (still congrats to Iraq). The main point of the post was "What IFF and next TM coach, can learn in motivation and effort aspects". Seeing Iraq winning the AFC cup clearly shows the huge role of determination and effort by players to be successful in a tournament.

Can one of the mods change the thread title to "What can we learn from Iraq's peroformance in AFC?" Please?
      "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
      Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
      Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
      sigpic

Comment

One more point, I think the fact that Iraq played with the same team in WAFF games helped Iraq. This way the coach saw the team in competition like situation and learned how to set up his team, choose tactic, see weaknesses all that stuff.

In reterospects, maybe we should have played with our first team in WAFF? What do you think?

I guess a more general question is, if GN had seen our boys in action in real game situtation (not against Weak Ghana or Jamaican team), had his experimentation and stuff in WAFF, our team would have been better off in AFC?

Our team became better game to game, to the point I say game against South Korea was our best game, but there wasn't enough time and we were n't at our best when we needed to.
        "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."

sigpic

Comment

When a team is motivated,the individuals work harder,run faster, anticipate better, play smarter,and work for each other, and rasie each other up !!
          This can be done, by nationalism,or unity,or promise of money, or like profesionalism, or top mangement style.........

Comment

Originally posted by zzgloo View Post
            When a team is motivated,the individuals work harder,run faster, anticipate better, play smarter,and work for each other, and rasie each other up !!
            This can be done, by nationalism,or unity,or promise of money, or like profesionalism, or top mangement style.........

Bahram Khan,

I think pep talk in case of Iran (under nationalisem and stuff) wont' work as much, we still need to do that for pepp talk, but more is needed. More specifically, the current team's pyschologis need to have a file for each player in TM. Any new player who is invited needs to have a file. This psychologist or whoever replaces him (hopefully not much churn and there will be consistancy), needs to establish a long term relationship (of course a professional one) with the players, gain their trust and through this find out how each person can be motivated. A few player maybe with money, few with the history and the Persian Empire thing, few maybe even with the whole Aashora thing, few with the stroeis for the war against Iraq. Point is, motivating our players to do their best in TM from now on (regardless of who is teh coach) will be a challaenge for Iran or for any team that has a lot of legioners.

sigpic

Comment

Since not much contribution in this thread, I guess I have to span now Kiding aside, see this post please
              http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...809#post769809

According to that guy who is an Iraqi I assume, this team is basically the 2004 Olympic team. Interesting trusting the youth and not playing names can help too. Remmbers Iraqi federation left a log of former big names from Iraqi national team names Like Emmad Rezza (Redda) who plays for sepahan, Ahmad Kazem (who played for Paas) couple of other marqi Iraqi players. Noori Sabri is only like very young 20 something.

In our team if the coach doesn't play Karimi or Kia or Nekooname and we loose, his head must be cut off.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X