The thing with FIFA RANKING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing with FIFA RANKING

In some other threads I have seen many members talk about fifa ranking and that we shd remain 1st or 2nd or … .

for the sake of our own football, I believe we must stop looking at fifa ranking ... at least for a year.

I think that not-so important number has done a lot of damage to our football, given our unique attitude towards the game and our lacks and ... .
    It has also provided a false shield for many shortcomings and deficiencies that went un-noticed & un-heeded just becoz we were "ranked so high" !!

this puts unnecessary pressure on the coaches and TM as general to always look for wins, even if the most important thing is testing new players, new formations, new strategies, ... .
    we must start saying we dont care if we slip down to 4th or even 5th.
    ( I doubt even if we lose ALL our friendly and semi-friendly games in the next 9-10 months , we'd go lower than 4th or 5th )
    but we use this period as a period of rehabilitation, restructuring and reorganizing.

with retiring of some great names ( daei, yahya, rahman , ... ) and the impending ones of VH, Kia , (hopefully )karimi, ... , we MUST start looking at our youth and alternatives to get familiarized with TM and its atmosphere. to get coordinated with the remainder of the squad.
    to feel their posts and fit into the scheme of things .

that means not so high quality games. not many wins. and not many desirable test games.

Especially when we consider our dire situation in the strikers category and lack of a dependable one, we must allow our younger generation of strikers like borhani, amraei, … some time to settle in and find their place. By putting them under pressure to score goals everytime they enter, they will buckle and wont reach maturity.

I agree. World cup qualifiers don't actually start until early 2008. It will be hard but I think IFF should get tm some friendlies and test out our younger players who look promising. The current B team with actively playing 30 year olds should be scraped and a replaced with a team where the maximum age is 25.

Also the FIFA rankings are inferior to the eloratings.
    The REAL. The LEGEND. Since 2001.

Comment

Although I don't like the FIFA ranking system (even the revised one), it can be used as a comparative measure (not absolute) between different eras under different coaches, different political situations, and other fun stuff.
      We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

Comment

FIFA ranking is simply a tool like any standard test to track where one
        stands a: globally b: in the continent c:historically

If here is a vision and a plan, a teams coach or more appropriately
        a football organization (i.e IFF in this case) *may* announce that for a
        period (say next 6 months or next 2 years) we are rebuilding for event
        X (as our goal) and dont care about FIFA ranking as it may distract us from
        our main goal which is specific achievment in event X.

This I think every reasonable person would agree should be acceptable.

However, if no goals are set then how do we track our progress? At least
        FIFA ranking will give some semblance of accountibility. BTW, I stated in
        another thread, we wont be sitting very well comes next FIFA ranking and
        you will see that. Then you will know FIFA ranking actually does something
        useful.

Comment

well guys, I did say for the next 9-10 months.
          I didnt totally discard the ranking and its uses. but when we're faced with far more important and unfortunately, DIRE circumstances such as need for rebuilding & re-structuring and more importantly, our desperate striker problem, I think it shd take a back seat.

by keeping the ranking in mind, we tend to put too much emphasis on "wins" and that puts undue pressure on the players, staff and especially strikers , who instead of trying to find their place and making a coordinated team, will be hassled and pushed to score and win all games !
          we all know how "productive" this pressure is.

once we finish this 9-10 months of rebuilding then we can try to rise in the ranking. altho' I still say we shdnt care. here's why:
          fifa ranking is useful when we want to get seeded in groupings and seedings in AFC tournaments like asia cup ( over now ) and WCQ's. now, we are ALREADY top seed in the group, so basically, the next time we NEED a high ranking is after 2-3 years or even more, for the next asia cup qualifiers.

and if we are not ranked within the top 3-4 in asia by that time, then khaak bar saremoon. aslan haghemoon neest.

some may bring up getting "better friendlies" ( as some countries look at the ranking of the opponents ). but we all know that is in case of a regular, normal country like sweden or china or paraguay. not IRAN. we all know even if Iran was top 10 fifa ranked, there'd still be problmes for us in terms of getting ppl to play us.

so I dont see any REAL use for the ranking in the next 2-3 years at all.

Comment

I would just dis-regard the FIFA ranking. Better to invest in future talents rather than being good looking on paper, because that "good looking from outside" brought us were we are here today.
            Also about seedings: this may sound harsh but real winners do not care about seedings! A winner is ready to perform anytime anywhere against anybody!
            CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Well this is my first post in F+

Simple as it is, FIFA Ranking is bullshit. Even the "Elite football countries" dont look at it. It's just for fun.

Before we think about the WCQ, I think we should focus on our IFF Elections first. Without a good and settled IFF, we will get Ghana B and Jamaica C as friendlies again. Everything has to be done step by step. First its the IFF Head, after that it's our headcoach and after that it's the WCQ and it's preparations.

Comment

Originally posted by Agha_Kasra View Post
                Well this is my first post in F+

Simple as it is, FIFA Ranking is bullshit. Even the "Elite football countries" dont look at it. It's just for fun.

Before we think about the WCQ, I think we should focus on our IFF Elections first. Without a good and settled IFF, we will get Ghana B and Jamaica C as friendlies again. Everything has to be done step by step. First its the IFF Head, after that it's our headcoach and after that it's the WCQ and it's preparations.
                Agha_Kasra....................good to have you here !!

Many,view Fifa ranking as you do, but,in my opinion, FIFA ranking, must be there, and it is as good as it could realisticaly be !!, there can never be a perfect system, as football is not perfect.....................

Comment

Originally posted by zzgloo View Post
                  Agha_Kasra....................good to have you here !!

Many,view Fifa ranking as you do, but,in my opinion, FIFA ranking, must be there, and it is as good as it could realisticaly be !!, there can never be a perfect system, as football is not perfect.....................
                  Merci ZZ jaan

Well I agree there should be a ranking, but not in this way. the point system should be changed... and we need some Football experts to create this system, not some "Godfather" from Switzrland like Sepp Blatter or Johanson..

Comment

Fifa ranking is like women.

Cant live with it, cant live without it. Its just something thats needed even though it is very disorganized and does not accurately reflect anything

Comment

Working...
                    X