The path towards professionalism in Iranian football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The path towards professionalism in Iranian football

I was ruminating about the current state of Iranian football, trying to understand the reasons for our failures in the World Cup, Asian Cup and U/23 Olympic Qualifiers.

It seems to be an almost unanimous view that our football infrastructure is quite unprofessional, with deficiencies in organization and funding, and I believe this is a major hindrance to our progress in football.

If we all manage to agree on this point(I say this tentatively ), then how can we achieve professionalism in our football? If this is the proverbial door to success, how can we open it?
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

The underlying Legal structures need to be set first...

Charter, IFF Election process, Players Union, TV and Copy Rights.. etc.. and then Privatization.. Once those things are in place.. Iran's overall state of Football (both on and off the field) will sky rocket, why? Because the Talent Pool and Fan support is already in place.. Remember other countries have all those things taken care of (like most of the Arab countries) but can't win anything because they don't have the Talent Pool or Fan Base.. Even China suffers from that..

Comment

Originally posted by BehzadB View Post
      The underlying Legal structures need to be set first...
      Charter, IFF Election process, Players Union, TV and Copy Rights.. etc.. and then Privatization.. Once those things are in place.. Iran's overall state of Football (both on and off the field) will sky rocket, why? Because the Talent Pool and Fan support is already in place.. Remember other countries have all those things taken care of (like most of the Arab countries) but can't win anything because they don't have the Talent Pool or Fan Base.. Even China suffers from that..
      Very interesting, as a Law student I did not think of it from that perspective.

But, I agree; the formal legal process needs to be drawn up. I guess a large problem is that there is no rulebook(or it is disregarded) with respect to the actions of the IFF and the subordinate clubs.

I like your suggestion.

Broadcasting rights certainly need to be paid for, this is unquestionable. This will have an incredible impact on the IPL's level of football, for both players and clubs.
      Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginG Inferno View Post
        Very interesting, as a Law student I did not think of it from that perspective.
        But, I agree; the formal legal process needs to be drawn up. I guess a large problem is that there is no rulebook(or it is disregarded) with respect to the actions of the IFF and the subordinate clubs.
        I like your suggestion.
        Broadcasting rights certainly need to be paid for, this is unquestionable. This will have an incredible impact on the IPL's level of football, for both players and clubs.
        You see the problem isn't lack of rule of law, it is the implementation of the law. As a yardstick for juding the development in a country one can look at the sophestication of the judicial system and also the separation of the judicial Branch from the executive Branch.
        Let me give you an example, Item 23rd of the constitution of the Islamic Republic clearly and uneqivocially states no torture can be used to obtain confession and if a confession is obtained under toruture or even duress isn't legally admissable in courts. But in reality that is how things (torture and duress) get done in Iran.

During the Shah regime, there was a amendment to the constitution that was written after the Constitution Reveloution (Enghelabe Mashrooteeyat) that granted the right to each provice to have its local parlimant and even this rigth was extened to smaller regional as well. But when Azarbaijanies tried to use that item of the constition they were accused of being separetist. Point isn't to support Azaris and Kurds in 1325 (1947). Point is what is the rule of the law in teh country is trampled by the executive power. According to the constitution of Iran before the reveloution was supposed to be a constitutional monarchy not a mere monarchy. But in reality country was never run as a constitutionalo monarchy. That was the biggest gripe of Dr. Mossadegh that king needs to have a role like the king and Queen of England and shouldn't be involved in day to day issues of the government. We saw what happened to him. sorry if I digress, but Rule of law and enforcement of the existing laws in the society is a sing of a develped and progressive society. BTW it wasn't like that when I was in Iran (long time ago) maybe it is changed now.

Point I am trying to make is , it is not just enough to have laws, there must be enforcement guarentees for them.
        "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
        Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
        Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
        sigpic

Comment

Hojatollah rafsanjani,last week said, he supports," SIMA ", TV, paying to football clubs for the right to broadcast games......
          This must be the first step,as ticket sales of 5000 tooman, with high estedium expences,players sallery,coaches,club expences, trip costs,etc,etc...will never be enough for a private clubs......untill then, every thing will be financed by the government.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Chicago View Post
            You see the problem isn't lack of rule of law, it is the implementation of the law. As a yardstick for juding the development in a country one can look at the sophestication of the judicial system and also the separation of the judicial Branch from the executive Branch.
            Let me give you an example, Item 23rd of the constitution of the Islamic Republic clearly and uneqivocially states no torture can be used to obtain confession and if a confession is obtained under toruture or even duress isn't legally admissable in courts. But in reality that is how things (torture and duress) get done in Iran.
            During the Shah regime, there was a amendment to the constitution that was written after the Constitution Reveloution (Enghelabe Mashrooteeyat) that granted the right to each provice to have its local parlimant and even this rigth was extened to smaller regional as well. But when Azarbaijanies tried to use that item of the constition they were accused of being separetist. Point isn't to support Azaris and Kurds in 1325 (1947). Point is what is the rule of the law in teh country is trampled by the executive power. According to the constitution of Iran before the reveloution was supposed to be a constitutional monarchy not a mere monarchy. But in reality country was never run as a constitutionalo monarchy. That was the biggest gripe of Dr. Mossadegh that king needs to have a role like the king and Queen of England and shouldn't be involved in day to day issues of the government. We saw what happened to him. sorry if I digress, but Rule of law and enforcement of the existing laws in the society is a sing of a develped and progressive society. BTW it wasn't like that when I was in Iran (long time ago) maybe it is changed now.
            Point I am trying to make is , it is not just enough to have laws, there must be enforcement guarentees for them.
            Just to clarify, the implementation of the law, comprises a large part of the definition of 'rule of law', but I digress.

The rule of law is generally described by legal sources as 'the extent to which a society(but this phrase is more often used in conjunction with governments) adheres to the rules of governance or laws'.

Anyway, I have an assignment to complete, but I will answer your post soon!

Comment

Just to clarify, the implementation of the law, comprises a large part of the definition of 'rule of law', but I digress.
              The rule of law is generally described by legal sources as 'the extent to which a society(but this phrase is more often used in conjunction with governments) adheres to the rules of governance or laws'.
              Anyway, I have an assignment to complete, but I will answer your post soon!
              I see your point and you are right, I didn't use the right term actually when I said problem isn't the rule of law but implementation of the law. Rule of law is as you truly mentioned in part implmentation of it. What I meant to say was just having laws on paper isn't enough and rules must be implemented in action as well. Sorry for my sloppy writing. I am at times guilty of being lazy and not proof reading my posts. Thanks for correcting and clarifying my post.
              "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."

sigpic

Comment

wow finally one other person puts up a post about this issue...I truly thank you.
                I have put up threads like this from teh day after we lost to Ireland in the seconfd leg of 02 quals..

but hey the whole nation of football dig talking about

what foreign or iranian coach should tm get !!!!as if that on this ground it matters
                deerooz, emrooz, farda
                zeeremonan
                sheeshtayeea
                The only dynasty of iranian football. ( At least three back to back championships define dynasty, we had moreTeam of the people by the people for the people that fills up 100k stadium like its nothing.
                Future of true professional football if any in Iran!

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Chicago View Post
                  I see your point and you are right, I didn't use the right term actually when I said problem isn't the rule of law but implementation of the law. Rule of law is as you truly mentioned in part implmentation of it. What I meant to say was just having laws on paper isn't enough and rules must be implemented in action as well. Sorry for my sloppy writing. I am at times guilty of being lazy and not proof reading my posts. Thanks for correcting and clarifying my post.
                  My pleasure, we all make mistakes. I enjoy reading your mature, thoughtful and often eloquent(well you are the senior among us here!) posts.

Iran's youth development is not lacking particularly in the early teens, but the transition between raw talent and disciplined player is a link that has been perenially missing. (Examples include Mobali, Kazemian and Borhani, all players who had a solid talent base. I think early moves to Europe are imperative in improving our talents, where an environment conducive to continual development is a given.)

What can be done to overcome this? I guess these overseas clubs like Real Madrid and Inter Milan investing in soccer schools is good for creating these youth prodigies, but this is not assisting in creating the next Nekounam, Daei or Mahdavikia.

I am afraid I find it difficult to answer this issue....

Comment

My pleasure, we all make mistakes. I enjoy reading your mature, thoughtful and often eloquent(well you are the senior among us here!) posts.
                    Iran's youth development is not lacking particularly in the early teens, but the transition between raw talent and disciplined player is a link that has been perenially missing. (Examples include Mobali, Kazemian and Borhani, all players who had a solid talent base. I think early moves to Europe are imperative in improving our talents, where an environment conducive to continual development is a given.)
                    What can be done to overcome this? I guess these overseas clubs like Real Madrid and Inter Milan investing in soccer schools is good for creating these youth prodigies, but this is not assisting in creating the next Nekounam, Daei or Mahdavikia.
                    I am afraid I find it difficult to answer this issue....

To be honest I think we already have next Nekoonam, Kia, Daie. It is just when someone turns to a legned like some of these guys did, it is hard for people to let go and trust the new guy. That is one area, I am very critical of Mr. Branko. He in big part architected this tradition of TM being the Monopoly of limited number of players. I was hoping and praying the GN change that in AFC but to my total dismay, he followed Mr. Branko's footsteps.

I am serious when I say with a bit of trust a lot of our players are far better than afromentioned players. Hamid Shafiee is one forward definitly needs time to prove himself. In left back we have guys like Ale Nemeh, Maniee. In midfield , we have Ebraheem Sadeghi and Ashoubi. Even Shayse Rezai can be a great player, if he realizes that has full trust of the coach.

You saw when Mobali and Kazemain came in AFC games and they both were crucial in changing the game for Iran. Even Rajabzadeh is an amazing player. All a player need is good timing, full trust of the coach and a bit of time. Then we will have real honest competition for the 11 starter in TM, which is good for everyone even the legioners (since after all it will make them better).

sigpic

Comment

This is an interesting approach...Perhaps this is one answer?

Comment

Working...
                      X