Goalkeeper problem; What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalkeeper problem; What to do?

Well, this problem is not new to us. We haven't had a real goalkeeper after Abedzadeh. But it looks like the problem is getting worse and worse. Ebrahim Mirzapour is benched at an 2nd division club. Hassan Roudbarian is benched at Persepolis. Taleblou is playing, but misses the form from last year. Abbas Mohammadi showed his inconsistency in both ACL Finals, especcialy in Japan. Mehdi Vaezi and Mehdi Rahmati have the same problem, they are too shol-o-vel. Also our "prospect" in Holland. Agil Etemadi, is not what we thought he would be (at least not yet).

The rest of the goalies we have playing in the IPL are not even close to Team Melli.

What can we do to solve the problem?

None of the above GK have the full attributes of a standard GK. Some of them even lack the basic technics.

I think Abedzadeh is an inborn talent and if he would have had a proper formation he might have been able to play for a top european side. But to have another GK like him we have 2 choices: either wait few more decades until a new talent is born or try to hunt unknown talented young players and train them from early ages.

Comment

Mohammadi did well in todays game. He was not great but he was much better than any other alternative.

To solve our problem we must invest in goal tending coaches at all levels of play most importantly the youth level. These goal tending coaches must be European.
      The REAL. The LEGEND. Since 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by khabalood View Post
        Mohammadi did well in todays game. He was not great but he was much better than any other alternative.

To solve our problem we must invest in goal tending coaches at all levels of play most importantly the youth level. These goal tending coaches must be European.
        On both goals, Mohammadi was at fault. First one the shot was right at him, his reaction was slow and second one, he made two mistakes. First gave up the corner and then had a poor clearenace on the corner which eventually ended up being the second goal. He was clearly impacted by the importance of the game I think. This is when lack of experiece shows up.
        "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
        Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
        Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
        sigpic

Comment

No other Irani goaltender would have done better. In fact he made several very difficult saves in close range which were sure goals. Relative to the standard of Irani goal tending he did well today.

Comment

Khabalood jaan, he was blamable for two of the three goals. at the first goal he stands in front of the attacker and he wants so punch the ball away with just one hand? Why do our goalies have to love for fisting it away with just one hand?

We lack goalies who have the whole package. One is good in this, the other is good in that. Vision, Reflex, Consistensy, Shot Power, PK Saving, Timing and a few more.

BTW You'll never know if any other goalie would have saved Sepahan today or not

Comment

Were you really expecting a perfect game from him? If so your standards are too high. Our goaltenders are not the likes of Casillas or Buffon. These are the type of players whom one would expect to give a perfect performance from.

In fact compare him to his contemporary Roudbarian who lets in even weaker goals during the Asia Cup. This is our standard of play. Our goaltenders make mistakes on a regular basis, which cost their teams. Again his play was not that bad considering he saved some sure goals in one on one situations, which other Irani goaltenders probably would not have done. It all depends on your expectations, and if one is to have realistic expectations or not.

Comment

No of course not. I know our standards are low, but Roudbarian is definately below average. But I mean C'mon the first goal was definately not hard to save. if he had used both hands he would've blocked it.

I know I sound a lil but harsh but when you are expected to be one of the best goalies, you have to show it in the most important matches, those are the matches who can build you up and break you down.

But my point is not only about Mohammadi, also Vaezi, Roudbarian, Mirzapour, Taleblou, Rahmati. We don't have a goalie who has (almost) the whole package.

Comment

Any Championship team needs a great goalie. It is expected a goalie to make 2-3 high percentage (90% scoring chances )saves during each game.
                  "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."

sigpic

Comment

the first thing to do is to bar any team from importing foreign keepers.
                    just like what the arabs have done.

we MUST rely on homegrown players. even if they are not on par. actually that will force the clubs to invest properly on young keepers and gradually, the national team will see the benefits.

---------------

and Mohamadi wasnt that bad either.
                    granted he let in an easy goal in isfahan, that shd have been blocked. I dont know how he didnt get a hand on it !

in japan, the first goal was NOT his fault. besides mojiri's unlucky move, the shot itself was quite heavy and not many keepers could do much about it.

in second goal, he took his eyes off the ball and lost concentration. that doesnt mean he's bad. it means he isnt EXPERIENCED. perhaps the weight of the occasion bore down on him and he ( like many other sepahan players, w exception of navidkia maybe ) felt overwhelmed by the final.

I still say, considering his last 5-6 games at ACL, mohamadi can be great at TM and shd be a serious choice.

-------------

and kasra jan, no GK in Iran is a the "whole package".
                    not even abedzadeh. remember how shaky he was on crosses from sides? his shot taking, game-reading, positioning, penalty taking, ... were all very good. but he just wasnt up to par on reading the height and position of the ball on crosses from either sides into the box !

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
                      the first thing to do is to bar any team from importing foreign keepers.
                      just like what the arabs have done.

we MUST rely on homegrown players. even if they are not on par. actually that will force the clubs to invest properly on young keepers and gradually, the national team will see the benefits.

---------------

and Mohamadi wasnt that bad either.
                      granted he let in an easy goal in isfahan, that shd have been blocked. I dont know how he didnt get a hand on it !

in japan, the first goal was NOT his fault. besides mojiri's unlucky move, the shot itself was quite heavy and not many keepers could do much about it.

in second goal, he took his eyes off the ball and lost concentration. that doesnt mean he's bad. it means he isnt EXPERIENCED. perhaps the weight of the occasion bore down on him and he ( like many other sepahan players, w exception of navidkia maybe ) felt overwhelmed by the final.

I still say, considering his last 5-6 games at ACL, mohamadi can be great at TM and shd be a serious choice.

-------------

and kasra jan, no GK in Iran is a the "whole package".
                      not even abedzadeh. remember how shaky he was on crosses from sides? his shot taking, game-reading, positioning, penalty taking, ... were all very good. but he just wasnt up to par on reading the height and position of the ball on crosses from either sides into the box !
                      Payman Jaan,

Goal in Isfahan was really bad. First goal in Saitama was straight shot at him, I think it even hit his hand, but he tried to bloack it with one hand. Second gaol started in teh first place by the horrible mistake of him, when he couldn't control the easy pass back and the ball went to the corner and again his poor clearance on the ensuing corner kick.

This by no means, is to berate Mohammadi. He is a good goalie, I think the atmosphere of playing in AFC final got to him. He will get better as he gains more national and internatioal experience.

No goalie in Iran currently is perfect, but what you hope for is for a player to evolve. My disappointement with Mirza was that he didnt' evolove and imporve his weaknesses (playing with foot and coming out on free and corner kicks) in the span of 4 years he was our number one goalie.

Mohammadi's reactions time to long shots is slow and he needs to improve on coming out of the goal and clearing the corner and free kicks in the 6 yard box. If he can imporve in this two area, there is hope. Actually with Savari breathing behind his neck, I think he will eventually.

I am not as pesimist about future goalies with Haghighi in PP, Savari and Mohammadi in Sepahan and Soush Makani in Fajr (U23) goalie. And I heard that Ahmadreza Abedzadeh is training his son to be a goalie full time. There were rumores that his son will even travel to England to attened a goal keeping training session in Chelsea (not play there, just get training).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agha Kasra View Post
                        Well, this problem is not new to us. We haven't had a real goalkeeper after Abedzadeh. But it looks like the problem is getting worse and worse. Ebrahim Mirzapour is benched at an 2nd division club. Hassan Roudbarian is benched at Persepolis. Taleblou is playing, but misses the form from last year. Abbas Mohammadi showed his inconsistency in both ACL Finals, especcialy in Japan. Mehdi Vaezi and Mehdi Rahmati have the same problem, they are too shol-o-vel. Also our "prospect" in Holland. Agil Etemadi, is not what we thought he would be (at least not yet).

The rest of the goalies we have playing in the IPL are not even close to Team Melli.

What can we do to solve the problem?

very well said....
                        thats why clubs in IPL are looking for foreign goalkeepers but by doing so they do not solve the countries goalkeeping problems... just their own clubs maybe...
                        CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Okay Peyman jaan, maybe not the whole package but atleast 3 or 4 parts of the package. Mirzapour doesn't have it, neither does Roudbarian or Vaezi. We haven't seen enough from Rahmati. Taleblou had two amazing years, played on a high level, but this year he is seeking form.

Comment

My suggestion is to have quality coaches for goalkeepers in the league.

Many clubs are doing that now , but that is NOT the ultimate solutions. Goalkeepers like Hejazi or Abedzadeh do not just pop up every day , they are unique and it is unfair to compare them to others or expect all keepers to be at their level.

One wise man said once " To produce class goalkeepers , you must first create classy defenders ( or defense line) " ...

I think that wise man has a very valid point !

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agha Kasra View Post
                              Okay Peyman jaan, maybe not the whole package but atleast 3 or 4 parts of the package. Mirzapour doesn't have it, neither does Roudbarian or Vaezi. We haven't seen enough from Rahmati. Taleblou had two amazing years, played on a high level, but this year he is seeking form.
                              There is no goalkeeper in Iran having all these attributes (unfortunately), yes Taleblou had two good seasons but he had some mistakes too in those two seasons.

Right now Abbas Mohammadi is doing a good job for Sepahan, he could and should have done better against Urawa Red Diamonds but goalkeepers are humans too and they make make a mistake or two too once.

I personally think we have some good goalkeepers coming up and with good coaches and more experience they could do a good job for Team Melli in future, for example, Agil Etemadi and Sousha Makani.

Both of them are 20 years old and usually goalkeepers don't reach their peak development until the age of 26 or so. Also Etemadi's contract was renewed today by SC Heerenveen and he will stay there until 2010.

I think we need to continue with our experienced goalkeepers like Mirzapour and Roudbarian and slowly bring in new blood.

Comment

Working...
                              X