Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Down the memory lane : Iran football in the seventies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down the memory lane : Iran football in the seventies.

The thread about Ghleechkhani brought back many memories of that era and for me personally , it was the pinnacle of Iran's football.

I like to share my memories and thought with all the senior guys in the forum being bitter or sweet memories.

Iran was the true force of Asian football , second to none to paraphrase it. Apart from that bitter defeat against Australia in 1973 final World Cup qualification match , the rest is all sweet memories from the Iranian Leagues up to Team Melli. Success after victories. Even the youth Team manged 5 consecutive Asian Championships ( some of them as co-championships , admittedly).

I was a kid when Taj won the Asian Clubs championship , and the news of Taj victory tricked to us after a few days..... There was only one TV station at that time , and we used to get Abadan (Sanat Naft) station once in a blue moon. A month or so later , we got a 45rpm Vinyl record of a song about Taj victory ... What a song!

The Mecca of Iranian football was Amjadieyeh with 28,000 to 30,000 capacity. until Grand Arayamehr (Azadi) was built in 1973 for the Asian Games. I was in the stadium for the opening ceremony as happy as a kid who was over the moon , mouth open in amazement and delight. It was the only time that I saw Shah of Iran in real. I was sitting on the right hand side of the main tribune.

sigpic

Thanks agha Majid for opening this thread, so old timers like me, can reminace the old time.
    I tried to rep you but it didn't allow me and said need to spread it around before giving it to you again.
    Couple of memories for me are:
    The first leg qualification against aussies in 1973. Iran played a friendly against NewZeland in ChristChurch and Parvin broke a leg in that friendly. I was so sad. I was a blue fan since my childhood and didn't care for PP much, but Ali Parvin and later Hamid Deraskhsahn were true play makers and offensive forces in our midfield. So when Parvin got injured, I knew our team wont' do well against Aussies in Australia.

Also, I remember due to the whole issue of always being told Iranians aren't as good as Europeans and their apparent advances, I was so afraid of Aussies back then. I remember they had a forward called John Kozemina and I could beleive that Gheeleech or Ali Jabbari or Ali Parvin can be as good as John kozemian, specially since the guy had a European name.

Other memories are Gheeleech's goal to Aussies in return leg, 6-0 victory of PP over Taj and revenge vicotry of a 3-0 or 3-1 of Taj two years later when Hassan Rowhsan scored two goals.

On a much less important but nontheless very personal was when I got to play for youth team in youth championship at the country level, against Mazandaran and Khuzestan team in Isfahan in 1356.

Another bitter memory is when Iraq youth team defeated Iran youth team in Aryamehr stadium in 1355 I think. Iraqis couldn't beleieve it and they were so excited that when they did the honor round "doore Efetekhar", they broke the cup. I was so sad and crying of course, but on those days Iran was so dominant that a victory against Iran for Iraq and Kuwait (who were the dominant force of West Asia in Football) was totally unthinkable.
    "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
    Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
    Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
    sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I never forget the first goal Dani fard scored against Scotland. It was around 3 AM Tehran time and I screamed so loud that our first floor neighbor came to our apt on 5th floor and got into a arugument with my dad and I.

Another one was how Nasser Hejazi with a broken collarbone or shoulder stood in the game against Peru. Iran made all the subs and no subs left. He even dove with that broken collar bone to save against the 4th Peru goal ( I think Kobillas socred that one). I suffered a ligher form of the same injury and I remember the pain. I can imagine what Hejazi went through.
        "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."

sigpic

Comment

It was always big trouble to get to Amjadieh......I remmember many times, my bones were squeezed so much by pressure of mas of fans pushing and shoveing through those green colore rods......
          Inside, after some times getting in early, we got to watch some tennis...
          again , I never forget, those skinny Egg sanwiches, that had two very thin slices of pickles,and even thiner tomato slices and some little hard boiled eggs, in " noon blooki ", that the " khamir " was already taken out....and as we used to throw the money down the rows toward the vender, with a carton fool of egg sandwiches, and he in return, throw the sandwich wraped inside newspaper all the way over 10 rows of seated fans !!
          I was always scared, since I was the only taji among my street friends,and I had to seat with them in perspolise section.....and many times it was flat dangerouse.
          Players I remmember....
          1- Mostafa Arab,who seemed like he had " GHOOZ ", and bent back, as he always bent his sholders when he wanted to shoot.
          2- kalani, who invented, fake injuries.and came back from ' Brankard ',with fans cheers.
          3-kashani, who was the coolest player in our history.
          4-Adelkhani, with his signeture " drible " by his left foot, protending to go right first ,and immidiatly flip the ball to left.
          5-hassan Roshan, with his legs,appeared tobe made of rubber.
          6-Karo haghverdian,nasrollah abdullahi,Janmaleki,Allah verdi,etc.....
          7-Sweet win of TM over purple colore jursie Isreal team,in Ariamehr.
          etc,etc,etc.........................

Comment

oh, I remember HATING that Kubilas chap from peru !
            I really HATED the guy for scoring against us !

same with rowshan's injury during the WC, which devastated me.

==============

anyone remember ( I think ) behmanesh's remarks in our last WCQ, after ghafoor jahani scored ... or actually the ball hit him and went into the goal ( LOL ) ?
            "ghafoor jahani dar jaame jahani" .
            but seriously, the tall and lanky ghafoor was just too hilarious to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
              oh, I remember HATING that Kubilas chap from peru !
              I really HATED the guy for scoring against us !

same with rowshan's injury during the WC, which devastated me.

==============

anyone remember ( I think ) behmanesh's remarks in our last WCQ, after ghafoor jahani scored ... or actually the ball hit him and went into the goal ( LOL ) ?
              "ghafoor jahani dar jaame jahani" .
              but seriously, the tall and lanky ghafoor was just too hilarious to watch.
              Somehow Ghafoor Jahani resembles Reza Enayati.... Never took them seriously as football players , but they kept scoring !!!!!

My hero goal scorer was the one and only Gholam Hossein Mazloomi. He was never a show off or skilled with his tactical ability , dribbling or so forth, but when it comes to scoring , he was the man. Time and time he was the savior of Taj and in Team Melli , whenever I used to hear his name , it gave me that bit of assurance.....

sigpic

Comment

I also believe, when it comes to scoreing.......It is Gholamhossain mazloomi, all the way......tall, fast, killer-instinct,and playfull......although, perspolisies, used call him, mordeh-khor....which he should take it as compliment.
                Forign players I liked at that time, were....OVERAT of germany, Revelino and Tostao of Brazil, and JJarmackh of Poland.

Comment

When it comes to dribbling , we all automatically think of Ali Karimi..... But years ago , there was one slick Khuzestani player called Nouri Khodayari. When it came to dribbling with style , there was no one even close o him in Iran. A real wizard and ball artist. Unfortunately I have not seen enough of this player as those days like now , there were only two teams who got all the exposure ....I think you can guess which teams !!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maij View Post
                    When it comes to dribbling , we all automatically think of Ali Karimi..... But years ago , there was one slick Khuzestani player called Nouri Khodayari. When it came to dribbling with style , there was no one even close o him in Iran. A real wizard and ball artist. Unfortunately I have not seen enough of this player as those days like now , there were only two teams who got all the exposure ....I think you can guess which teams !!!
                    He was amazing. He played about 2 to 3 years ahead of my years in country youth championship and there was a rumor that Noori did roo payee "juggling" all the way from Ahwaz to Tehran in the train. Those days, football players used to travel by train or buses and none of this foo foo stuff of today with two leg flights are cause of defeaut and stuff.
                    Do you remember Hannon " Abdulreza Barzegari"? What an amazing player he was. After the revolution he played for persian gulf clubs. But he was back to Ahwaz for vacation and I played against him in a game. Size of that man was amazing. He was really big strong yet very skillful. I killed myself to do my best but he simply was a different class. Imagine Michael Essien, yet taller, stronger and much better in ball handling and game vision.

When it comes to dirbbiling, one has to mention Hamid Derakhsahn and Ali parvin. Specially Deraskhshan. He was just extraoridnary.

sigpic

Comment

baba dametoon garm! Eeen old timer ha khilee bahaland ..

I have so many memories from the 70s football in Iran. I was a perspolisi, but was equally supporting any team that showed good football. Homa, Sanet Naft Abadan, and the merging club Raastakheez e Boshehr!

Yadeh hamashoon behkier!

Guys -- sorry this might sound stupid, but how do I upload pictures here. I have a few pictures from the that time that I would like to upload for you .. cheers!

Comment

^ Damet garm.

Here is a simple way: click on "new post", then look below the editing window for "manage attachments", click on that, it allows you to browse thru you local files, select the one you want to upload, and then press upload. If the pic is too big, it will exceed the maximum allowed. In that case you can go to "paint" or any other photoshop software and reduce the size and try again ...
                        We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
                        Go IRAN!

Comment

Originally posted by Kavian View Post

Man ...you make feel so old..... But .... it is still a nice feeling

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Chicago View Post
                            He was amazing. He played about 2 to 3 years ahead of my years in country youth championship and there was a rumor that Noori did roo payee "juggling" all the way from Ahwaz to Tehran in the train. Those days, football players used to travel by train or buses and none of this foo foo stuff of today with two leg flights are cause of defeaut and stuff.
                            Do you remember Hannon " Abdulreza Barzegari"? What an amazing player he was. After the revolution he played for persian gulf clubs. But he was back to Ahwaz for vacation and I played against him in a game. Size of that man was amazing. He was really big strong yet very skillful. I killed myself to do my best but he simply was a different class. Imagine Michael Essien, yet taller, stronger and much better in ball handling and game vision.

When it comes to dirbbiling, one has to mention Hamid Derakhsahn and Ali parvin. Specially Deraskhshan. He was just extraoridnary.

I actually saw Khodayari on TV doing kind of show juggling the ball. I never thought in my mind that anyone in the Eastern Hemisphere could actually even think of doing that...the man was a naturally born juggler. A rare breed ...nothing like it at those days. I regret not seeing him making it to Team Melli...real loss of a talent.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kavian View Post
                              I have so many memories from the 70s football in Iran. I was a perspolisi, but was equally supporting any team that showed good football. Homa, Sanet Naft Abadan, and the merging club Raastakheez e Boshehr!
                              Yadeh hamashoon behkier!
                              Guys -- sorry this might sound stupid, but how do I upload pictures here. I have a few pictures from the that time that I would like to upload for you .. cheers!
                              You probably meant Rastakheeze Khoramshahr right? I think their star player was Beshkar.

As for attaching pictures, when you are posting on this thread, next to font and Sizes and Letter A you will see a typical attachment button, click on it and you can attach pictures or files from internet or your own computer.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X