The enigma known as Mayeli-Kohan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The enigma known as Mayeli-Kohan

I dont know what's with the man. But I just cant figure him out!
    one look at his career, you'd see massive fluctuations and huge ups and downs in the form of great achievements followed by tremendous losses, followed by more glory, only to be turned into utter failures ... and so on & so forth!!!

The latest chapter in his rather interesting ( and never a dull period, even when he isnt coaching any team, he's running his mouth and getting into controversies ) career is his third ( or fourth ) stint at Saipa as coach.

this year, saipa were in deep waters with Litbarski. and their Vatani coach couldnt do much either. Then , Enter the Dragon ... sorry, I mean MK. And if I can recall , saipa except one loss, has won all its games after this appointment.

The players are the same batch that worked under the previous coaches. So how come a team that lost by bundles of goals to mediocre and even weak oppositions, has suddenly transformed into a team, in form and capable of beating just about anyone in the league?

I clearly remember at the time of his appointment, everyone on our boards were laughing and quoting "Ash-hado allah .... " for Saipa.
    I warned them of MK's track record and style of coaching.
    I wonder what they're thinking now.

.... and before anyone says it, I will.
    It will not be long till we see saipa's nose dive under MK also.
    But what I'm interested is just how on earth does he manage to get such fluctuations and especially such boosts as soon as he's appointed ?

In a way I believe his trust and belief in our youth has much to do with his immediate successes. We always underestimate the energy and motivation of youth.

To start with , I would not give all credibility for Saipa's revival to MK.

Remember that two season ago this team was the champion of the league and it is still basically the same team.

Saying that , a faltering character in Littbarski , a great player but definitely not a person for coaching as evident by his career , has done so much screw ups and damage to the team , it obviously nose dived. His local successor , who I don't even remember his name , could not do much under the circumstances because he probably lacked the credentials to be a first class coach.

Mayeli Kohan on the other hand has a proven record albeit fluctuating .

BUT...I agree...he is an enigma.

sigpic

Comment

well, saipa were losing game after game right up to the point MK took over.
      and then, BAM! they started winning 3-4 games and then a loss and now, another win!
      same players, same management, same stadium, same .... . the only difference is MK.
      go figure!

Comment

In sports, it seems more often than not that any sort of leadership/managerial change when good teams are underperforming leads to a positive outcome, regardless of what that change is.

I don't believe this scoundrel is doing anything out of the ordinary - it's simply the motivation of the players to impress someone new who is evaluating them.

Even Osasuna has performed better (though their results haven't changed much), and I'm not so sure it's a direct result of 'better coaching', rather a change in the coach itself. Especially as 3-4 games doesn't give anyone enough time to implement any significant changes.

MK, as you've mentioned, will be out and on the streets in a short amount of time. Let's talk about Saipa in a couple of months/next season .

Just my two cents...
        Last edited by faraz; 01-22-2009, 10:38 PM.
        We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

Comment

There is no Enigma.

Its just that football in Iran has not changed or evolved as much.
          Which means that any coach who was successful 10-15 years ago can still be successful because tactically, its almost the same.

Thats why people such as Yavari and Karimi can still coach and get decent results.
          Thats why a dalal such as Kazemi comes back to a team as "big" as Sepahan.
          Its the same merry go around. And the young coaches such as GN, Peyrovani, Azizi are pretty much steeped in the same mold.

If IPl had really grown and would have teken decent coaches from abroad and give them time to intall their knowledge, then Ali asghari coaches such as mayeli kohan would not have had a chance but know, I bet that even Pourheydari and Parvin could have done a decent job. Who is going to stop them???

Comment

I agree with the effect of a "new man to impress" totally.
            any set of players would want to be in the new guy's good books and start games, hence the extra efforts in training and games.

But we also must consider sometimes coaches have differing philosophies and attitude to the game. ( MK's has usually been an attacking , rather than a conservative one )
            some also have the ability to extract the best out of a set of players ( in the form of different roles or even different posts for certain players ).
            knowing MK, there's another third factor which is he doesnt give a rat's arse about fame and name of players and in a 50-50 situation, he usually goes with the youth.
            perhaps these contribute to this turn around

Comment

That Litbarski hireing was a total mistake....as the guy was a bust !!
              He clearly thought he was in the bangaladesh......and he was so poletical in his interviews, and once even said, his in more interested in the asian club league championship than the domestic league.......,and when he left he said so many bad things about Iran and its enviroments....totaly opposite to what like Buca,( The previouse coach of Sepahan ) said about Iran after he left Iran...........Litbarski,made no connection to its players nor did he understand the football in Iran.....and defenetly,MK whom had been away ,and planning for long to succeed & brag, was much more prepared and motivated.
              ..it was just a clear case of , the differnce in motivations,and players buying in to the coach's plans !!

Comment

Originally posted by maij View Post
                To start with , I would not give all credibility for Saipa's revival to MK.

Remember that two season ago this team was the champion of the league and it is still basically the same team.

Saying that , a faltering character in Littbarski , a great player but definitely not a person for coaching as evident by his career , has done so much screw ups and damage to the team , it obviously nose dived. His local successor , who I don't even remember his name , could not do much under the circumstances because he probably lacked the credentials to be a first class coach.

Mayeli Kohan on the other hand has a proven record albeit fluctuating .

BUT...I agree...he is an enigma.
                Bar a handful of the players - with only 2-3 of them of importance - the team is almost brand new. They have very little resemblance to their championship winning side.

Comment

I always though of coaching as a talent, something that you just can't pick up attending FIFA or AFC coaching classes. Very much like the football players themselves. Attending training everyday and being the first in and the last out , does not make a player a great performer if he does not have the inherent talent.

Different coaches use different tactics in motivating their players. being nice and friendly does not always work , being tough and strict disciplinarian has its drawbacks as well, so a a talented coach needs to understand the assets that he has and work on it the best possible way.

There is nothing magical about implementing a game plan in a football match. No great secrets no great formulas, however , the coach can make a big difference if he has the right players who can execute his plans for the match.

One of the areas that Alex Ferguson always studies before the match , is the standards and forms of the opposition players. He and his staff are apparently following their rivals very closely even to the extent of their psychological status.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xoraster View Post
                    There is no Enigma.
                    Its just that football in Iran has not changed or evolved as much.
                    Which means that any coach who was successful 10-15 years ago can still be successful because tactically, its almost the same.
                    Thats why people such as Yavari and Karimi can still coach and get decent results.
                    Thats why a dalal such as Kazemi comes back to a team as "big" as Sepahan.
                    Its the same merry go around. And the young coaches such as GN, Peyrovani, Azizi are pretty much steeped in the same mold.
                    If IPl had really grown and would have teken decent coaches from abroad and give them time to intall their knowledge, then Ali asghari coaches such as mayeli kohan would not have had a chance but know, I bet that even Pourheydari and Parvin could have done a decent job. Who is going to stop them???
                    The foreign head coaches in most cases are a bad choice for the Iranian football. The main reasons are issues with psychology and language barrier, also a general lack of familiarity with the style and circumstances of the Iranian players. However, I would support someone in the position of Rutemoeller for instance, who can be an assistant coach but meanwhile leaving the main TM leadership to someone domestic. This after all, is a matter of national pride as well.

As for Mayeli, I blame him to a big extent for the relegation of Foolad two years ago. My honest feeling is that he is most likely a bit lazy and does not work hard enough in general, because like it or not, he is a former TM coach and a big name in the Iranian media. But maybe now that his reputation is far too damaged, he is working harder with Saipa to reclaim some of his credibility, which by the way, are showing in the results his team has been earning since some weeks ago.
                    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

somebody, aptly, said "chi mikoneh een haji mayeli" !

notch up another win for saipa!
                      voodoo?
                      black magic?
                      whatever it is, it's working for saipa.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
                        somebody, aptly, said "chi mikoneh een haji mayeli" !

notch up another win for saipa!
                        voodoo?
                        black magic?
                        whatever it is, it's working for saipa.

Vaghean ke haji bad juri terekoondeh emsal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
                          The foreign head coaches in most cases are a bad choice for the Iranian football. The main reasons are issues with psychology and language barrier, also a general lack of familiarity with the style and circumstances of the Iranian players. However, I would support someone in the position of Rutemoeller for instance, who can be an assistant coach but meanwhile leaving the main TM leadership to someone domestic. This after all, is a matter of national pride as well.
                          As for Mayeli, I blame him to a big extent for the relegation of Foolad two years ago. My honest feeling is that he is most likely a bit lazy and does not work hard enough in general, because like it or not, he is a former TM coach and a big name in the Iranian media. But maybe now that his reputation is far too damaged, he is working harder with Saipa to reclaim some of his credibility, which by the way, are showing in the results his team has been earning since some weeks ago.
                          I have heard this 1000 of times. Good professional coaches can adapt to any culture and language barrier. Blaz, Branko, Ivic Bonacic, Denizli and even Haan did that in Iran. Haan changed Perspolis around in two months. Also, professional coaches go to places such as Oman, Saudi Arabia, Ghana and good knows where and get results.

Comment

LOL.
                            chalk up another win for haji !!
                            3-1 against malavan

damn ! is there no stopping this guy?

Comment

Sorry, but this is just too bloody amusing and tantalizing not to post:
                              saipa beat the title challengers, zob-ahan 1-0.

az dastam dar rafeth, but it looks like they've won 7 of their last 8 games as soon as haji joined them !!
                              een haji chi mikoneh ?
                              jadoo jambal mikoneh?

I was searching the general forum for that thread where as saipa announced MK as their coach, 100's of fans expressed their dismay, their ridicule and some even wrote their faateheh for saipa. I just couldnt find it . It'd be extremely amusing to go read the comments again
                              now, they are in the top half of the table after 8 games only!!
                              LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X