In case of a rain on matchday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case of a rain on matchday

... would this rain benefit us or the koreans?
    and what kind of tactics would be more applicable as compared to fair weather?

The first thing that crosses my mind is if it does rain, as predicted, the last 15-20 minutes of the game will prove to be very crucial in terms of physical fitness and endurance of the players.

Traditionally we are a bit more physical than the koreans. and if we maintain our fitness and pace ourselves, as seen in malaysia's asia cup, we can put tremendous pressure on them near the end of the game.

Given the above, I shd think a player like bagheri, who normally would be rather ineffective against the quick footed koreans, especially if he starts the game, could be the ace in the hole for Daei, if he comes off the bench in the last quarter. he has the physique and the height to wrestle the midfield away without much heed of losing his pace or energy.

But at the same time how are the physical conditioning of players like khalatbari, shojaei and gholamnejad ( assuming at least 2 of these would be fixed )? Can they sustain 90 minutes of energy sapping rain ?

-----------------

the second point is as Mr. Mohasess correctly pointed out in 90, korean defenders are suspect on crosses ( kojaee mahdavikia jan ??? what a disastrous decision by daei !!! ) and aerial combat.
    And if it rains and as we get near the final quarter, our height advantage and general aerial tactics could be a life saver.

We have VH, who's good in the air ( or used to be, at least ). If we have bagheri come off the bench at minute 70-75, he'd be a valuable asset up front as well. Then, for corners and set pieces we have aghili, nekunam and hosseini to aid the team as well.

Shd borhani run out of gas or ideas, we have salehi, another tall striker who could be another key player in such conditions.

So daei has the opportunity to inflict some serious damage if he gets his tactics and strategies right.

------------------

thirdly, with rain and unreliable pitch conditions, many teams rely on set pieces ( this one, I'm afraid we might as well forego right now ) and shooting.
    So I sincerely hope daei makes players like zareh, nekunam, bagheri, VH, ... to seriously work on their shooting and get it right, coz that could spell the 3 points of the game for any team.

Also those conditions make handling and catching the ball for the keepers even more difficult. So MY advise to TM would be to shoot as much as possible.

=============================

On the other hand, the painful memories of SS ( at their peak ) losing the finals of ACL to a korean team in tehran just becoz poorheidari didnt allow for rain ( or didnt bother to check the weather !!!! ) and never practiced in rain soaked conditions, is still vivid with us!

That SS team shd have won the title for the 3rd time. it was theirs for the taking. But they foolishly let it slip away with utter novice & amateurish attitude!

So would rain help us or harm us?
    are we ready for such a scenario?
    do we have plan B or specific tactics to utilize in such conditions?

would fans even bother to come and at least make a decent showing? or will they stay away, as if they're made of paper ?

The Azadi pitch does a very good job of absorbing water so expect no flooding, and the pitch will have zero still water.
    The Azadi grass however tends to get very slippery so players like Kaebi, Gholamnejad and Shojaie might suffer.

The element of chance will play a bigger role should we see rain.
    But it will definitely suit the tactically inferior side , which looks to be Iran.

Comment

I would think the Koreans will have the advantage in case of rain, although I still hope it doesn't happen during the game.
      sigpic
      Salute to anyone who stands against these barbaric, inhumane and irrational laws of ANY religion.

Comment

I just remembered the alternating fortunes of Iran-Korea match ups.

If we go by the history and the trend, it is OUR turn to come out victorious, while we stand to lose in korea in the return leg. the last one was when we lost in penalties in AC07, and the one before that was GN's team beating the korean's B side 2-0 in tehran. and so on ....

Would I take a win today and a loss in return leg?
        I think so.
        I'd rather get 3 points from both games than 2 points or even 1.

Comment

Working...
        X