warning bells for Iranian clubs in Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warning bells for Iranian clubs in Asia

aside from the saudis (4 spost) who usually get at least 3 teams to advance from the group stage, and with both uzbek (2 spots) teams doing well this year, not to mention the two qatari (2 spots) teams, I think Iran (4 spots) will be slowly feeling the heat , especially if any one of mes and sepahan dont advance ( and I'm being generous and taking both zob and ss advance as granted).

and if either of uzbeki or qatari teams going further than pre-quarters, AFC will be justified in allotting a 3rd spot to that country. where will that spot come from?

My guess is thankfully the uae teams (4 spots) have done horribly for the past 2 consecutive seasons, so uae will be the prime candidate for reduction.

but come next season and if at least 2 of our teams dont advance, I'm afraid we may get a spot reduced.

as it stands, IPL may introduce sepahan, zob and perhaps PP as 3 of its rep's. if ss wins the hazfi, then we'd have 4 strong contenders. but IPL i one thing, ACL is a totally different beast.

yea, gladly the uae are doing bas as usual.but as you said ive also been thinking about
    this. but at least even of sepahan and mes dont qualify, i want them to go down
    with pride.they get close to qualification for next round at least.
    Humanity. Love. Earth.

Comment

Isn't the allocation of AFC CL spots a bit different than UEFA's? I think it's based on an overall rating of the professionalism in football in a country and not that much on the club's ACL performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
        Isn't the allocation of AFC CL spots a bit different than UEFA's? I think it's based on an overall rating of the professionalism in football in a country and not that much on the club's ACL performances.

As far as I know , AFC champion league qualification system is quite different than those of UEFA's which is based on collective clubs performance of each country spread over a number of years , while AFC has a country or league overall rating which includes many factors like facilities , attendance , classification ...etc.

Unless AFC has changed its CL qualification system to match UEFA , there is no danger of Iran losing a spot anytime soon. However , thee are many other fears for disqualification of Iranian clubs from the competition mostly because they do not meet the basic professional club requirement demanded by AFC.

AFC requires the clubs to be run as independent businesses showing profits (sometimes a loss ) , balance sheet , accountability of board members and such things ..... none of the Iranian clubs are even close to such regulations.

sigpic

Comment

Singapore Armed Forces’ (SAF) maiden victory at the AFC Champions League 2010 on Match Day 5 has put the country above two supposedly superior nations in terms of win percentages.

Singapore has just one team in the competition and SAF on MD5 scored their first win with a 2-1 victory over China’s Henan Jianye.

That gives Singapore a win points percentage of 26.66 per cent from five matches after they earned four points from the 15 so far available to them.

This is ahead of China (25 per cent) and UAE (20 per cent). They are eighth overall with Korea (73.33 per cent) and Japan (63.30 per cent) leading the way.

Iran is above the likes of saudi, aussies, uzbeks ... and is only below japan and korea

Qatar and Uzbekistan may not be among the top five in terms of points aggregate but they have still managed to outshine countries who have played double the number of games in the AFC Champions League 2010.

Qatari clubs have combined to put their country in fifth place overall on 17 points behind Korea Republic, Japan, Iran and Saudi Arabia.

However, all four countries above them have four clubs in the competition while Qatar has two. That means, after MD5 Qatari clubs have only played 10 matches compared to the 20 for the other countries.

Uzbekistan have 16 points from 10 matches and they and Qatar are ahead of China (15 points) and United Arab Emirates (12 points), both of whose clubs have played 20 matches.

Qatar is represented by Al Sadd and Al Gharafa while Uzbekistan has Bunyodkor and Pakhtakor.

Another 10-match country, Australia, are on 14 points, one behind China but two ahead of UAE.

Kuala Lumpur: Korea Republic and Japan lead the way in terms of total points and percentages earn over the five rounds so far played in the AFC Champions League 2010.

Despite collecting only four out of a possible 12 points on Match Day 5, Korea lead the points standings with 44 from 20 matches.

Jeonbuk Motors were the only Korean team to win on MD5 while Pohang Steelers drew and Seongnam Ilhwa and Suwon Bluewings suffered defeats.

Japan, with Kawasaki Frontale, Kashima Antlers, Gamba Osaka and Sanfrecce Hiroshima all winning, moved ahead of Iran into second place with 38 points after all their four teams won this week.

Percentage-wise, the Koreans have taken 73.33 per cent of points available to them while Japan are second on 63.3 per cent.

Iran, whose clubs took six points on MD5, are third in both tables after earning 35 points from 20 matches at a rate of 58.33 per cent.

Qatar, who have two clubs in the tournament, are fourth in the percentage stakes with 56.66 and fifth in total points with 17.

Indonesia are bottom of the pile in both categories, picking up zero points to go with their zero percentage.

all Iranian clubs need is:

1- SS having advanced, needs a win to ensure topping the table

2- ZA having advanced, needs only 1 point to ensure topping the table

3- Sepahan needs at least 1 point to ensure advancing ... and a win to maybe top the table (if the uzbeks dont win)

4- Mes needs to win and al-sadd to lose to al-ahli to advance

http://www.the-afc.com/en/schedule-a...titions&id=384

Comment

Working...
          X