Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Did Ali Daei go astray ? Is there a lesson to be learnt? .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Did Ali Daei go astray ? Is there a lesson to be learnt? .

To call Ali Daei an asset in Iranian football , is probably an understatement . He is in the small group of players that have put Iran’s name on the world football map. Players like him, Ali Karimi , Mahdavikia of the current generation of footballers , are the flag bearers of this country’s football . Yet , like a clockwork , they seem to stumble and fall at some stage and for varying reasons…..what is it in this football culture that cannot maintain, nourish and develop its prime assets the way he Europeans do?

Ali Daei transformation from a player to coach was swift , spectacular at some stage ( when he won the league championship with Saipa) and then it turned sour with Team Melli after his single yet important defeat , and now his resignation from Perspolis following an unprecedented 5 matches defeats.

Is it that a reflection of his technical ability ? does he lack the skills required for a coach ?
    Is it the passion that overtakes his brain?

Many would claim that Daei’s failure is due to the pace of his progress in coaching. Daei seems to accept responsibilities that are too hot to handle like Team Melli and Perspolis. Perhaps, there is an element of truth in it, but then again, there are always several contributory factors for failures.

In my humble opinion, I think Daei had spent far too much energy on side issues rather than channeling this energy and his thoughts towards his job which was coaching. His overzealous attitude and the sense indestructibility, supremacy, clout and invincibility was sometimes misguided and gave him a false sense of security. A touch of arrogance was brewing within which I believe contributed to his downfall.

There was nothing I regretted more than when observing Daei blaming the referees and everything else for his team defeats. GRTANTED , every Iranian coach does that religiously as if it is written in some holly book!! but for a guy who has been a professional and played his football in one of the most organized and disciplined leagues , it simply was unacceptable behavior. We expected much more in terms of professional conduct and class from Daei. There was hardly a match and a defeat that was NOT blamed on the referee!!

His demeanor in public with permanently irritated and angry face, even when his team was scoring, made even his most passionate and avid supporters quite nervous. Daei lacked grace under pressure. Perhaps down deep inside , there was shades of under-confidence and fear of failure. Of course this was in contrast to his courageous and fearless character who would not shy from a battle on or off the field, has the guts to introduce young players at international level , has the bravery to stand for his and his players rights or follow causes against all the odds.

Whatever other factors are there, I believe that Daei lacked professionalism and proper guidance in management. He does not lack technical skills to execute his duty, it is the manner that he handles his job that seems to be suspect. He is still an asset and people like him should not be simply discarded due to a stumble here or there. He should learn from his mistakes and bounce back.
    Last edited by maij; 12-21-2010, 01:17 AM.

sigpic

Daei needs to take a break. He then needs to go and attend more coaching training classes and upgrade his coaching certificates. Once he's fresh and ready, he then needs to find a club which is not very big, maybe something like Naft Tehran, Shahin Bushehr, Rahahan Shahr-e Rey, etc.

He then needs to change his attitude. That is by being calm, not arrogant, not getting too much involved with Media and hashiyeh. Not blame referees every single time.

Comment

IMO Daei would have been more successful in an european country then in iran. to be honest his level of work attitude, passion for work, passion for success is beyond the average level in iran!! so just like any other successful persons in iran, he does not have space to progress, and the country under the current conditions doesn't allow or appreciate the progress of her people. the necessary tools are not available for success, while all the tools to destroy someone is readily available.

it is easy for us to sit here and say daei has done this or that, or daei needs to do this or that. but if we put ourselves in his shoes, he is burning himself from inside out as why he can't succeed.

he has so much potential and talent that is beyond what the country can offer the necessary tools for him, and just like a bird in cage, is only capable of doing so much.

unfortunately he is like a candle that is burning away, just like any other bright person in the country.

he is part of the lost generation.
      IRI = FAILED

Comment

I think it is a really common issue with Iranian coaching system that essentially enables anyone (and I mean anyone) to become a [head] coach. The list is massive:

Hasheminasab
        Pashazadeh
        Estilli
        Peirovani
        Tatar
        Fekri
        Mansourian
        Modir roosta

There is no science behind it really and most of them fail anyways because they just don't have the coaching education or coaching talent.

About Daei considering the people he has worked with so far if he was a talented coach (as in if he had the x factor for coaching as he had it for playing) he should have picked up a lot more game plan and tactics than what he has shown with Saipa (the season he was the coach not the one that he took over a pre-built team), PP and TM.

I guess we can still give him benefit of the doubt and say he is a bad coach right now but might get better if he goes through the propel training. The problem is that he suffers from a major case of denial and he first needs to admit to himself that he is not good enough as it stands only then we can see him strive to better himself at coaching. My personal belief is that he will never be anything bigger than an average coach based on what I stated in the above paragraph.

Doesn't seem like he is leaving PP, still wish him well though.
        Team faghat PERSPOLIS

Comment

Interesting topic sir.

Some reflections:

A) When was the last time an Iranian coach was nominated on top level internationally? When did we have an Iranian coach in one of the better leagues of the world? When did an Iranian coach/manager achieve something spectacular and impressive on the international football scene?
          We know the answers to these questions. Being a good fotballer doesn't necessarily mean that one becomes a good manager/coach. There are some really good examples (around the world) just as there are exceptions that confirm the rule. The players you mentioned were all great players at one point in their careers, qualified enough to play for some of the largest and best clubs of Europe in their prime(s).

I personally think that the problem, more generally, lies in our culture to some extent. If we are to overlook the obvious infrastructural and socio political factors that prevent our football from improving and developing, there is not much left to point at in my opinion. We are not less qualified than some African countries in terms of tradition and knowledge, but we do not know how to convey the message from the leader (in this case the coach) to the people on the floor (the players). The Iranian players lack tactical training, and that is nothing that comes from playing gol koochik - it is something that is taught by coaches from an early stage in every football player's career.

I think that Ali Daei's coaching career was weird and abused, almost in a populist manner. He did a good job during his first year at Saipa, but correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't most of the team management already done when he took over?

A parallel to Iran could be Sweden, where the likes of Henrik Larsson (Celtic, Barcelona, Manchester United), (former Celtic captain), Stefan Schwarz (Arsenal, Fiorentina, Benfica, Valencia) Jonas Thern (Benfica, Napoli, Roma) and Patrick Andersson (former Bayern Munich captain and Barcelona player) are not regarded "qualified" enough to take a coaching job according to the rules and regulations set up by FIFA, UEFA and the national football federations. Most of these players are currently studying to become managers academically. Did Ali Daei ever receive such training? Mind you, many of the managers mentioned above are not receiving this training in Sweden!

We all know that Ali Daei is an asset and that he holds tonnes of knowledge when it comes to football, but to my knowledge, he has never been trained to be a manager. He is an emotional person who easily gets irritated, judging from his history as a player but also some interviews where he let his feelings take over.

Maybe it's a matter of resources, maybe we cannot afford educating our young managers to become more professional and versatile. But then again, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't large amounts of money being spent in Iranian football in general? From what I've heard, the salaries are high (in relation to the quality of the end product), and the federation splashes out large sums on friendlies (like the one against Brazil) while there are more urgent issues that need attention and resources.
          We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying;
          And this same flower that smiles today, Tomorrow will be dying."

flickr

Comment

Coaching is a combination of Technical abilities (not as a footballer, as a coach, these two are very different), and management and leadership skills. Time has shown Daie is at best Average in technical coaching abilities (he couldn't address the weakness in PP defense in the last 5 games and was outscored 13-2), but is an abject failure in management and leadership skills.

Leadership and management isn't about being a slave driver, my way or highway attitude or intimidate people into submission. Daie doesn't listen, thinks he knows the best, isn't open to criticism, demands total obedience. This is the style of management was used in Soviet Union or Elite Military Units. His leadership style leads to a lot of criticism from him, which in turn make him more suspicious of everyone and everything. It is a catch 22. This kind of attitude eventually leads to bunch of yes man stays around you or if surrounding people have good idea they won't dare to speak up. Daie is a typical Iranian, jumping the gun based on emotions (See Shays Rezaie situation as an example). This leads nicely to my second point.

The other thing contributed to his demise was our over expectation of him. Alexander Solzhenitsyn, great anti Soviet dissident has a famous quote that goes something like this. The right word at the right moment has an impact that is beyond belief. Maybe same can be said about people. Daie was someone who Iranian embraced, because at the right time, when Iranian were craving for some good recognition, Daie Came along. This made Daie what he couldn't have been. Daie is a typical Iranian like you and I, very emotional, stubborn as hell. But Daie was the first Iranian that after a long time represented a good image of Iran. Iran's football was synonymous with his name. The man wasn't mature and sophisticated enough to carry all this expectations. It was like the whole population was telling a very self centered man that "he is great". When we did that we let the Genie out of the bottle (his ego);that led to his demise. End result is what we see today. When it comes to demeanor, compare Daie to Kia . How many times Kia was benched and he shut his mouth and worked hard. Even right now, in Esteel Kia isn't the center stage. Daie needed to be the center stage.

Bottom line, unless Daie changes his ways (which will be close to impossible) he never ever will be successful in coaching arena. Despite being one of his critics I sincerely hope he does change and I see him successful in coaching arena. I think Daie is very good nature person, still believe in some old school ideas like respect; love of country. It is just his style and approach that is self defeating.
            Last edited by Ali Chicago; 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM.
            "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
            Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
            Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
            sigpic

Comment

is there a lesson to be learnt ?

.................................................. ...............................................

1- A nation that is culturaly handicap in all types of manegment...can not produce a good manager .

2- psycologicaly unstable individuals, must be particularly avoided in managerial ranks.

3- To work on our deficiancies, we must stay with Domestic coaches in our league..in the hope of improving the deficiencies........

4- TM is not a place for working on deficiencies....and must use foreign coach to get results.

Comment

Very nice and objective opinions , Gentlemen.

I do have a couple of points to highlight or add , as the case might be:

1- Coaching Training and Education :
                While I will never deny that training is an essential part of progress in any professional , after all I am a trainer in my field , I do not believe at all that standard coaching training addresses issue that Daei is suffering from. I also DO NOT believe that attending more classes or football coaching courses is necessarily an essential ingredient for the success of a coach. In any case , there is not much that these classes offer and to be a football coach , one does not have to to attend 7 years of university like a medical student to be qualified for the job.

Football is an art , it is not science. A person needs certain God given gift to succeed beyond the ordinary level. Training is a basic requirement , but not ultimately the difference between success and failure nor the difference between the mediocre or the great.

2. Resource Management and personality.
                in My opinion , Daei has enough talent , skills and character to succeed in coaching , even more than his footballing career. As a player , Daei was not exactly a skillful player , but he had determination , the will and the ability to utilize his skills to the maximum. He would give 110% in order to win a match be it for club or country. While some players would not give a S**t and walk merrily when their team loses , Daei is the type that would cry (virtually) for losing.
                But , coaching is about management of others and self management. That is why most , if not all coaches are called , Managers. Daei lacks in this department. Unfortunately , football coaching courses , does not address this type of training and even if it does , it would be superficial. Again , as I said before , it requires certain talent that no training can address.

I still have a lot of faith is this man.....I have said a long time ago in this forum ,. that he will burn himself acting like that. There is NO QUESTION that he is one hell of a dedicated man. He is rich enough to sit on his ass and do nothing for the rest of his natural life , and still live a very comfortable life, but that is not Daei. He wants to give and be involved. He does need some attitude adjustment even in the chaotic society such as Iran.

sigpic

Comment

OOoooppss....

Daei is back already !!!!!!!!

Is that a wise move ??

sigpic

Comment

Well, I guess more than anything it comes back to the personality and character of Daie.

He was a great footballer who contributed a lot to our game and we should all be proud of him, but let's admit it, the man ranks very low in personality and character. He doesn't have the class one would expect from the world's leading goal scorer. But I don't blame him because after all he is the creation of a society which is run by bunch low life and bi sar or pa! How else can you survivie in that kind of an environment, if you are not one of them!

If Daie had the character and personality of one of our old heros like Kalani, Arab, Ghilich Khani, or even Roshan, he would have been on top of the world by now regardless of how good of a coach he was.

Comment

Despite a few reservations, I have with this article, I think overall it explains it well.

http://www.footballmedia.net/articles.asp?id=5045
                      "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Chicago View Post
                        Despite a few reservations, I have with this article, I think overall it explains it well.

http://www.footballmedia.net/articles.asp?id=5045
                        (irrespective to the frail and foolish justifications that he mentions in the article) the bucks stop there.
                        It becomes apparent that he is exercising bias and emotion in judgment.
                        Let it be known, that the media in Iran is infiltrated by some scrupulous men that have little honor and would not hesitate to slaughter sport personalities when their interests demands it.

To me, they are a prime factor in the demolition of many teams and people. The further they are away from covering a sporting activity and the less money there is in that sport in Iran , the better is the progress of that sport and the better is the chances of championships and glory.
                        Basketball is a prime example.

sigpic

Comment

Majid Jaan;

Good points. I briefly mentioned my respervations (but you elaborated on it). I never thought every word they said is the truth. One hopes the elusive truth (partially) can be found out, only with dialogue and open discussion, so their point of view was part of many.

I don't know if you read that story by Molana that goes like bunch of people who didn't know what is an elephant were blindfolded and were placed around an Elephant. One was touching the trunk siad an elephant is a cylindrical shape, one who was touching the tusk was describing it as somehting sharp and long. You get my point I hope. Now it is our story of attempting to discover the truth. It is an attempt and each one of us has partial knowledge. Only hope is with dialogue hopefuly we can get closer to the truth.
                          Last edited by Ali Chicago; 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X