Iran's final squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran's final squad

So the final 23 is out and unfortunately in my opinion it's not a perfectly well balanced squad.

If you for example look at RB options, you only find Heydari and Nosrati there. Imagine Heydari gets injured and Nosrati suspended, which is not a too unlikely scenario. We'd have no RB option left, apart from Jalal Hosseini, who is desperately needed in central defense.

Also central defense is a problem. We only have 4 options for 2 positions, while one of them, Nosrati, is needed as fullback as well. Which means three players going out injured or suspended, we already have a huge problem. Three might sound much, but remember AC 2004, where we lost Rezaei, Badavi, Nosrati and Taghipour due to suspensions and injuries.

I just wonder if we lost Nosrati, Aghily, Hosseini and Heydari this time instead, how would our defense look like?

Meanwhile for leftback there are 4 players who can play there or have played there repeatedly in the past: Hajsafi, Rahimi, Nosrati and P. Nouri.

Another thing is that we have 6 DMs and CMs in the squad, which is a sign Ghotbi is planning with the more defensive 4-3-3 mainly, where he will only put two offensive players additionally to a striker and pack the midfield instead. I guess the 4-2-3-1 is only planned for UAE.

I think by adding a player like Montazeri, who can play in central defense as well as playing fullback, instead of one CM, the squad would have been much more balanced.

Here the squad again:

Goalkeepers:

Mehdi Rahmati - Sepahan Esfahan
    Shahab Gordan - Zob Ahan Esfahan
    Ebrahim Mirzapour - Paykan Ghazvin

Defenders:
    Khosro Heydari - Sepahan Esfahan
    Mohammad Nosrati - Teraktorsazi Tabriz
    Jalal Hosseini - Sepahan Esfahan
    Hadi Aghily - Sepahan Esfahan
    Farshid Talebi - Zob Ahan Esfahan
    Ehsan Hajsafi - Sepahan Esfahan
    Abouzar Rahimi - Rah Ahan Ray

Midfielders:
    Javad Nekounam - CA Osasuna, ESP
    Andranik Teymourian - Teraktorsazi Tabriz
    Pejman Nouri - Malavan Anzali
    Iman Mobali - Esteghlal Tehran
    Mohammad Nouri - Persepolis Tehran
    Ghasem Hadadifar - Zob Ahan Esfahan

Strikers:
    Masoud Shojaei - CA Osasuna, ESP
    Gholamreza Rezaei - Persepolis Tehran
    Mohammad-Reza Khalatbari - Zob Ahan Esfahan
    Arash Afshin - Foolad Khuzestan
    Mohammad Gholami - Steel Azin Tehran
    Karim Ansarifard - Saipa Karaj
    Reza Norouzi - Foolad Khuzestan

Let me add: the average age of the team is 26.9 now. So we have an inexperienced though upper average old team.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
      So the final 23 is out and unfortunately in my opinion it's not a perfectly well balanced squad.

If you for example look at RB options, you only find Heydari and Nosrati there. Imagine Heydari gets injured and Nosrati suspended, which is not a too unlikely scenario. We'd have no RB option left, apart from Jalal Hosseini, who is desperately needed in central defense.

Also central defense is a problem. We only have 4 options for 2 positions, while one of them, Nosrati, is needed as fullback as well. Which means three players going out injured or suspended, we already have a huge problem. Three might sound much, but remember AC 2004, where we lost Rezaei, Badavi, Nosrati and Taghipour due to suspensions and injuries.

I just wonder if we lost Nosrati, Aghily, Hosseini and Heydari this time instead, how would our defense look like?

Meanwhile for leftback there are 4 players who can play there or have played there repeatedly in the past: Hajsafi, Rahimi, Nosrati and P. Nouri.

Another thing is that we have 6 DMs and CMs in the squad, which is a sign Ghotbi is planning with the more defensive 4-3-3 mainly, where he will only put two offensive players additionally to a striker and pack the midfield instead. I guess the 4-2-3-1 is only planned for UAE.

I think by adding a player like Montazeri, who can play in central defense as well as playing fullback, instead of one CM, the squad would have been much more balanced.

Here the squad again:

Goalkeepers:
      Mehdi Rahmati - Sepahan Esfahan
      Shahab Gordan - Zob Ahan Esfahan
      Ebrahim Mirzapour - Paykan Ghazvin

Defenders:
      Khosro Heydari - Sepahan Esfahan
      Mohammad Nosrati - Teraktorsazi Tabriz
      Jalal Hosseini - Sepahan Esfahan
      Hadi Aghily - Sepahan Esfahan
      Farshid Talebi - Zob Ahan Esfahan
      Ehsan Hajsafi - Sepahan Esfahan
      Abouzar Rahimi - Rah Ahan Ray

Midfielders:
      Javad Nekounam - CA Osasuna, ESP
      Andranik Teymourian - Teraktorsazi Tabriz
      Pejman Nouri - Malavan Anzali
      Iman Mobali - Esteghlal Tehran
      Mohammad Nouri - Persepolis Tehran
      Ghasem Hadadifar - Zob Ahan Esfahan

Strikers:
      Masoud Shojaei - CA Osasuna, ESP
      Gholamreza Rezaei - Persepolis Tehran
      Mohammad-Reza Khalatbari - Zob Ahan Esfahan
      Arash Afshin - Foolad Khuzestan
      Mohammad Gholami - Steel Azin Tehran
      Karim Ansarifard - Saipa Karaj
      Reza Norouzi - Foolad Khuzestan

I agree with your assesment. I would have prefered Montazeri for same reason as yours in compare to Rahimi.

I hope you reconsider your views on Mahini. He would have been much better choice . He was our RB during Doha (Qatar) Omid games while Khoro Heidari was present. He is strong , younger with experience playing at LB, RB, CD. I have sen many of 3 players while they played for Foulad and Esteghlal Ahwaz and i rank Abuzar third with huge distance.

Hopefully next time.

Comment

The strange thing about this selection is that Ghotbi has picked 7 strickers, which is very unusual for any team coming to a tournament like this. This has forced him to cut down from the back and mid. His formation is heavily based on a crowded midfield, so the only option he had was to cut from the back.

Granted, that the likelihood of having four defenders suspended/injured all at once is very low, but it can happen as Martin reminded us of what happened back in 2004. I, personally would have liked to see Mahini and M Hussaini, added to the list to boast the back lines. But it is what it is and I am sure Ghotbi and the rest of coaching staff have their own calculations or at least I hope they do!

I was looking at Aussie list of 23. Very strong side!! God help India! :-) Which by the way I have no idea what they plan on doing in Asian Cup aside from 11 curry-eating players inside the 18 yard defending! :-)

Comment

The couple of times I saw Mahini, he really looked confused and insecure. Actually I wonder why he is rated so highly, but I didn't see him often nor did I pay special attendance to his performances, so I can't and do not want to judge his qualities at this point of time.

About the striker issue, the question of course comes down to philosphical views on football. Most of the players listed as strikers here could also be seen as midfielders. There are 2-3 pure strikers in the list.

Comment

A few times I have seen Mahini play, he appeared to be a good left back. He did very well in the final of AFC championship. He remained composed and focused under such pressure.
            Unlike Hajsafi who likes to move forward, Mahini is a kinda of player that likes to be behind the ball. His speed and passing is good. The reason I wanted to see him in the squad, is because he has had the AFC championship experience and would have been an excellent alternative for the caoch, should he wanted to switch to a more defensive formation. M Hussaini could have filled that role on the right, giving us Aghili, J Hussaini and Nosrati to choose from for the middle.

As for our strickers, unfortunately, I don't see anyone of them capable of playing in the mid field may be for exception of Khatbarry and that is if he stops dribbling!

Comment

Originally posted by Kavian View Post
              A few times I have seen Mahini play, he appeared to be a good left back. He did very well in the final of AFC championship. He remained composed and focused under such pressure.
              Unlike Hajsafi who likes to move forward, Mahini is a kinda of player that likes to be behind the ball. His speed and passing is good. The reason I wanted to see him in the squad, is because he has had the AFC championship experience and would have been an excellent alternative for the caoch, should he wanted to switch to a more defensive formation. M Hussaini could have filled that role on the right, giving us Aghili, J Hussaini and Nosrati to choose from for the middle.
              absolutely correct

that composed nature is what he has over hajsafi, who despite his years at team melli, still seems confused as to where he shd be and how he shd be marking his man, and more often he chooses the wrong options. that's why he's had so many negative marks in defending and marking

defensively he is clealry better than hajsafi. and in offense, he is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by dvader6 View Post
                absolutely correct

that composed nature is what he has over hajsafi, who despite his years at team melli, still seems confused as to where he shd be and how he shd be marking his man, and more often he chooses the wrong options. that's why he's had so many negative marks in defending and marking

defensively he is clealry better than hajsafi. and in offense, he is good enough.
                Hajsafi has a bright future if he improves, not only in skills & experience but attitude and approach to the game he play. I have watched his game since U16 and he has come a long successful way. He was one of youngest players invited to TM but unfortunately since then he was reluctant to play full heartedly for U19 and U21 and as much as possible he avoided the call .Even when he played his performance was less than expectation. As member of TM, he was expected to play with more zeal for junior teams and play a leadership role but he did not so far (hopefully he will do so for U21).
                Both him and Bakhtiar lost important penalty kicks during heartbreaking U16 marathon and both bounce back but difference between Bakhtiar & Mahini with Ehsan is their approach to the game. If you watch Bakhtiar and Mahini in any games, win or lose they play as they are leader of their teams, as it is personal and game is their last performance and so far I have yet to see that from Ehsan. He is very young and hopefully that will change too.

All 3 have leadership experience, Ehsan & Bakhtiar for U16&17 and Hossein as Captain of Esteghlal Ahwaz.
                Reason for their comparison is they are all exceptional and each was youngest player of their class when they were invited for U16 and Omid.

Beside skills and strength, sometimes attitude toward the game makes a different. I like them all

Comment

I am so glad to see both Afshin and Karim Ansarifard are in the final list. If Ghotbi shows guts and use them, I bet these two won't disappoint Ghotbi and us.

Cutting Montazeri was a surprise, so was Haghighi and keeping Mirza. Haghighi is young and could be the future vs. Mirza. Does this mean , Gordan is the third goalie now? Only logical explanation would be if Mirza is the second goalie and Gordan was kept as third goalie. Had he kept Gordan as second golaie, it would have made sense to keep Haghighi (someone said Haghighi in the second game even saved a PK too, so his peroformance must have been ok at least).

I assume this Rahimi fellow is a LB right? If yes, it would be interesting to see him start and Hajsafi (or even Arash Afshin) play left mid (over Pezhman), if we need to play a more offensive style.

Hadi Nooroozi and Kiani being crossed off aren't any surprises to me.

As for the Defense, I think Nosrati was kept due to his ability to play RB, center and LB. He isn't the greatest defender that we have in any of these positions but that ability of him to play either of three positions maks him very special. Probably why Ghotbi kept fewer defenders.

I am puzzeld by Ghotbi keeping so many forward/midfielders though. If we want to play more conservatively, why keep, Reza Nooroozi, Gholami, Ansarifard and Afshin.

Maybe this is all wishful thinking on my behalf since I crave so much for Iran to do well, but the mere fact the Shimzopalace offered a contract to Ghotbi, makes me beleive that they saw something in Ghotbi. Again, maybe my desire for Iran to do well makes me to be optimisitc about Ghotbi doing a good job with TM in Asian cup (btw this doesn't mean Iran will win the whole thing, that still is an overachievment for Iran IMHO).
                  Last edited by Ali Chicago; 12-30-2010, 01:37 PM.
                  "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
                  Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
                  Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, Mirza at #12 is goal keeper #2. Amazing that Mobali is the only contribution to this squad by the Esteghlal; I still think of him as Foolad #23! Interesting to note also that Pejman Montazeri was a Foolad defender when he started out.

I like the selection overall, it is very offensive which should mean we are going to play open and exciting games in general.

Btw. read http://persianleague.com/index.php/t...-cesc-fabregas
                    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

@ Hajsafi, I think it's good for his development that he plays LB. I think it will improve his defensive skills and his understanding of the game and, if he concentrates, will make him a better LM as well in the end.

Comment

I wish/hope Ghotbi do well in Japan and open the path for Hajsafi, Afshin and Ansarifard and many many more of our youth to play in J leage (rather than UAE and Qatar league). Although our players are deporated from those league already and they aren't an option.
                        "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
                        Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
                        Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
                        sigpic

Comment

I think the only reason why Ghotbi is going to the tournament with 7 strikers is because this is one area that he is losing sleep over. He has not been able to convince himself of a certain combination of players that can deliver goals. He wants to keep his options open and reduce his risk of missing on anyone with at least some potentials. Which is not a bad risk mitigation strategy for offense, but it obviously leaves some exposures for the back and midfield by cutting down the number of players.

Comment

^ that's a good point, although as 3-4 strikers will start every game, having 7 strikers is not such a big number. Basically he has Shojaei, Afshin, Rezaei and Khalatbari for left and right wing and then three options for central attack.

Comment

its because couple of them strikers are also able to play as midfielders and
                              wingers.
                              Humanity. Love. Earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X