Iran - Angola test game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran - Angola test game

No. I didnt watch the game and like the rest of you had to follow it on the radio.
    so instead of any "observations", I got a few remarks .

the line up was:
    Originally posted by Martin-Reza
    Well, according to the radio report Iran had exactly 6 subs.

Rahmati - Heydari, Aghily, Hosseini, Hajsafi - Teymourian (46' M. Nouri), Nekounam, P. Nouri (46' Mobali) - Rezaei (46' Khalatbari), Ansarifard (46' Gholami / 85' R. Norouzi), Shojaei (80' Afshin)
    which means the whole of first half we played with a very defensive midfield line up: ando, nekunam, pejman
    having the trio of rezaei, shojaei and ansarifard in front of them.

1- from what I heard in the first half, a very large majority of the ball was passed between our defenders and def-mids. we heard the names aghili, hosseini, nekunam, ando and pejman way more than anyone else.
    followed by hajsafi and heidari.
    the names of ansarifard and rezaei very rarely came up, which showed how little we supplied them or used them!

this shows the frequently seen issue of keeping the ball passed around near our goal and in our half, more than doing something up in the opponents' half.

2- I wish I could have counted the number of times the 2 names of hajsafi and haidari were mentioned, to show how much of the width of the pitch used and how frequently.
    this would indicate use of flanks and therefore stretching of the opponents' defenders.

3- another thing I picked up was angola played a more defensive and closed formation with lots of bodies behind the ball protecting their goal.

4- then by second half we saw replacement of 2 (of the original 3) def-mids with mobaali and Nouri, both of whom are forward-facing positive mids who could help with the team's offensive moves.

and throughout the second half we heard the names of mobaali, nouri and nekunam far more than any other names.
    this indicated that this triangle (with neku backing the front 2) worked well and most probably took the ball to the opponents' half and applied excessive pressure on them. heard a lot of combinations between the 3 or one/two of them with khalatbari.

this also showed a lot of ball distribution by mobaali and nouri to all sides of the pitch. which is what the team desperately needed against qatar.

5- khalatbari seemed to have a great game. lots of attacks and a couple of nice moves and shots.

6- on the other hand I hardly heard much of a good comment about shojaei. so his poor games seemed to have continued.
    good to see arash afshin given a chance to be an alternative to shojaei. maybe this will compel the lazy osasuna player to move his arse and get his act together.
    heard shojaei's name when he had fouled the opponent, which underlines what I said in qatar game: he still hasnt learned how to battle for the ball without fouling the player!!!

7- the win shd be a morale booster for the team, especially since we didnt get any injuries too (and afshin seems to have recuperated as well).
    so we step into the games with a better psyche than before.

8- but the change in the game from a defensive, negative one to a more positive, creative one (from 1st half line up to 2nd half line up) shd tell us something.
    especially if the opponent decides to frustrate our team by playing a closed game with many players protecting their goal. something that I'm sure both uae and north korea will do, as they did the same in the WCQ's.

playing a negative and unimaginative/uncreative line up gets us nowhere and in a tournament that only WINNING matters, and often draws are as good as losses, then this shd be a waking up call for ghotbi

It's pretty much impossible to analyze a game noone has seen, but I agree fielding 3 defensive minded midfielders in a 4-3-3 against a domestic Angolan side only up to defending is a strange decision.

The most logical explanation once more is that there is more gain in testing something for the competitive games then adapting the playing style to your sparring partner.

Of course with eg. Khalatbari instead of Pejman Nouri, fielding a 4-2-3-1, our chances of scoring would have been much higher, without probably taking too many risks.

But that is what test matches are for. We are testing for upcoming big games and there is no sense in simulating a game which won't take place like that in the competition.

Comment

I dont think khalatbari came in for pejman. it was for rezaei

so while the 1st half is a very defensive 4-3-3, the seocnd half saw a team with only one def-mid (nekounam) and two creative mids in front of him.
      so obviously the shape of the team also changed.

something like 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2 .... or God forbid, zaboonam lal, gooshe sheytoon kar , bala be door, it was a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) .... any moment we'll get struck down by lightning now for this manifestation of utter recklessness !!!!

Comment

What is interesting about this line up is that everyone (except Rahmati) has a propensity to score: Aghili and Hosseini as central defenders, or Ando and Nekounam as defensive mids and of course the rest of the mids and strikers. In the old days I recall, Heydari also used to break into the opponent's box (sort of like Kaabi). Overall if there is need, this line up can put on a lot of fire power. They should just make sure to stay a step ahead of the opposite team, and also the referees, who might be skewed towards certain teams.
        sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

That will probably be our starting lineup vs Iraq.

I am a big fan of playing with many defensive mid fielders. I think that suits our team well at this point of time.

This team, has the lowest expectation since 1996, and the expectations deserve to be low with the awful state of our preparation.

So anything better than first round qualification is a success in my eyes.

Comment

^very true, but with this number of DM's (3 to be exact) starting, if the
            oposition scores a goal then things would look bad for us.

this type of formation, with 3 starting DMs will be played most for a slow
            build ups and perhaps an eventual goal from their defenders mistakes or
            set pieces which our tall defenders or DMs could score on, or perhaps a
            spark/something magical or counter attack that would result in a goal.

if they score on us early in the game, things wont look so good, ghotbi
            would need to have some sort of back up plan, a life injection (perhaps speed) into the game and take out one of the 3 DMs.

but, this "life" in the game i dont really see in the subs, unless khalatbari or
            rezayi is on bench, and i dont see the unexperienced arash afshin getting any
            playtime neither.

the idea is to stay strong in the back and have patience in constant build up
            of play, and have as much ball position as possible which would mean
            many back passes to the defenders since we dont and wont have a very
            good connection between the strikers and the DMs( due to an absence of a playmaker or AM/OM).

the most hates thing i have for this style is the lack of connection between
            the midfield and strikers.i hate it.
            Humanity. Love. Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
              I dont think khalatbari came in for pejman. it was for rezaei

so while the 1st half is a very defensive 4-3-3, the seocnd half saw a team with only one def-mid (nekounam) and two creative mids in front of him.
              so obviously the shape of the team also changed.

something like 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2 .... or God forbid, zaboonam lal, gooshe sheytoon kar , bala be door, it was a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) .... any moment we'll get struck down by lightning now for this manifestation of utter recklessness !!!!
              No, he didn't come on for Pejman. I meant he should have started with Khalatbari instead of Pejman, that would have been more offensive while with Neko and Ando we surely would still have had enough defensive stability for sure.

The changes, as you said, were two more offensive minded CMs for the two defensive minded ones.

But that is Ghotbi's main plan. Nekounam will start and then two out of Ando, Pejman, Mobali, Hadadifar and M. Nouri, depending if we want a more offensive or more defensive style. Ando is almost certainly fixed though. The stronger the opposition, the more likely Pejman as LCM will be. Otherwise eg. Hadadifar will start.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadi View Post

I am a big fan of playing with many defensive mid fielders. I think that suits our team well at this point of time.
                same here. I also fancy this at this point in time.
                CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Working...
                X