The struggles of the star studded team!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The struggles of the star studded team!

What is a star studded football team backed by a football-mad passionate millionaire who has no hesitation to spend in order to create the best club in Iran, doing at the bottom of the Persian Gulf League??

To me, the intriguing case of Steel Azin is of so much interest as it could be an aid in diagnosing the reasons for failures of Iran football at international level. Why is it that the football stumbles at crucial stages and in short, never answers the aspiration of the masses?

I am an adamant believer that one single reason rarely leads to failure. It is normally a set of reasons with different weight for each

In Steel Azin , it is surely not a question of talent , or lack of it. I dare to say that man to man , they have the best group of players in Iran. Look at the names :, Mehdi Mahdavikia , a living legend , Zandi , Akbarpour , Khalili , Karimi , Madanchi , Kazemi , Gholami , Shapourzadeh , Zeneidpour , Ashjari , etc.. This is one Team Melli on its own , so , what are the reasons a team like that doing at the tail end of the table.

I must admit that I have not been following the league very closely and would refrain from discussing the technical issues on the field. I think the last time I saw SA match was last season , Hence ; my finger is pointing to one major factor: POOR MANAGEMENT.

Today , Hedayati gave me some ( or should I say , enough) clues about his poor management and the Iranian lack of proper resource management in general. Hedayati was quoted while introducing the new coach , Mahmoud Yavari , whom he trusted from the onset but said that he did not recruit him because other management personnel in Steel Azin did not believe in Yavari’s credential.

Obviously. Hedayati lacked assertiveness in decision making or confidence.

Hedayati went on and said that he saw a lot of errors being committed in the running of the football but he elected to remain silent as a sign of respect for his friends !!! To me this is the greatest sin in management combining many poor attributes including nepotism , weakness and poor risk management.

His appointment of Ali Parvin is another poor decision by Hedayati. Parvin is a legend in his own right but has proven time and time again that he is from the old school and his methods and ways are antiquated and don’t work very well in this day and age. Also , Parvin's man management is questionable. He is a poor communicator and uses old ineffective method in motivating players. Hedayati selected Parvin because he is “Bache Mahala” because of his acquaintance of Parvin from the neighborhood rather than selecting him on merit and ability.

After the disastrous result, Hedayati has decided that he will take over some of the management duties for the next 8 weeks to enable the team to survive.

Full new article in Farsi is here

Last edited by maij; 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM.

sigpic

First off it's great to see you around Maij jaan, secondly you must be banned for such long azz absence at PFDC! JK

On a serious note though, I agree with every bit of your post, unfortunately our football just like the country as a whole is run by individuals who have zero knowledge and idea about proper management and leadership. In a country where its head of Sports organization has always been selected based on Non-Sport criteria or even better said its President is forcefully and shamelessly imposed on people, by rigged elections, what else can you expect?

Nothing in Iran is handled and carried out in a professional manner. It's all about connections, bribery and of course Hypocrisy which is the most conspicuous characteristics of the regime and its puppets!

A Luxurious and sexy team like Steel Azin should have had no trouble in clinching the top 6 spots of IPL this season, however due to its constant management shortcoming and failure throughout the season, all elements of the club have been nothing but total flop and disaster. The irony is that Mr. Hedayati still hasn't learned from his previous mistakes, Steel Azin once and at its birth failed to impress with Parvin's leadership, yet again the founder of the club chooses to appoint Mr. Parvin for the very same position he failed miserably 4 years ago. Did anyone of you guys watch last week's Navad showing the coaching circus of Steel Azin during their match against RahAhan I believe? total embarrassment!

Be ghole Jennifer Aniston: Hay Haat Menna zella!

Comment

It is good to have majid back......
      As Majid said, this issue may open some doors as to better understand football in IRAN.......
      And I am going to attempt to explain the Esteel Azin's failier...only by " One " key reason,..while there may be other reasons as well, but IMHO, there is one that has caused the Domino effect......and while I am aware I may be wrong....but one can state his opinion !
      The " KEY Reason " is : The Complacency !
      ..Complacency, in psycology of players, which may originate from " retiring millioner Stars, to the nature of lazy Iranian football,to wrong sence an over spending,overly supportive a billioner owner can provide,as well as lack of history and hard work to qualify to reach the first league "....
      And these millioner players who are supposed to be an example for the new generations, have been giving wrong signals to the younger players...and total team effort and team dedication ,and the lucker room atmospher has become everything but challenging !
      While the players may time to time offer a better effort on the field.....but, there will never be a consistant team effort....untill the whole team would understand the value and previlage of thier jobs..and that may be impossible with currant setting...as ,for these players and thier younger students,there is nothing,psycologicaly and collectively, to prove !
      Last edited by zzgloo; 03-15-2011, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keano View Post
        First off it's great to see you around Maij jaan, secondly you must be banned for such long azz absence at PFDC! JK

On a serious note though, I agree with every bit of your post, unfortunately our football just like the country as a whole is run by individuals who have zero knowledge and idea about proper management and leadership. In a country where its head of Sports organization has always been selected based on Non-Sport criteria or even better said its President is forcefully and shamelessly imposed on people, by rigged elections, what else can you expect?

Nothing in Iran is handled and carried out in a professional manner. It's all about connections, bribery and of course Hypocrisy which is the most conspicuous characteristics of the regime and its puppets!

A Luxurious and sexy team like Steel Azin should have had no trouble in clinching the top 6 spots of IPL this season, however due to its constant management shortcoming and failure throughout the season, all elements of the club have been nothing but total flop and disaster. The irony is that Mr. Hedayati still hasn't learned from his previous mistakes, Steel Azin once and at its birth failed to impress with Parvin's leadership, yet again the founder of the club chooses to appoint Mr. Parvin for the very same position he failed miserably 4 years ago. Did anyone of you guys watch last week's Navad showing the coaching circus of Steel Azin during their match against RahAhan I believe? total embarrassment!

Thank you Keano Jan. I can assure you that I have plenty of spare time for the next few days. We , like many families here in Bahrain , are locked at home. The security situation is very volatile and going out means risking your life. So , I will stay put and enjoy surfing the web and PFDC .. Oh , and I just heard that the Martial law and state of emergency has been declared....charming!!

I have been witnessing managerial and management failures in Iran for decades. The good thing is that the authorities themselves admit to failures and have been active or partially active in rectifying it. The Quality Management and ISO standards are becoming a buzz word at the corporate level. When will it reach sport federations is anyone's guess.

Admitting to management failure is not enough. One should learn from it and do not repeat it . But as you mentioned in Hedayati's case , his appointment of Parvin 4 years ago , re-occurred again. What is the secret with Hedayati and Parvin. Surely a guy like him , a self made millionaire has not reached this status and this wealth while being a repeat offender and making crucial business mistakes !!!

Originally posted by Keano View Post
        Be ghole Jennifer Aniston: Hay Haat Menna zella!

Hehehe..... She (Aniston) would find some serious offers for Sighe in the Hierarchy in Iran,

Originally posted by zzgloo View Post
        It is good to have majid back......
        As Majid said, this issue may open some doors as to better understand football in IRAN.......
        And I am going to attempt to explain the Esteel Azin's failier...only by " One " key reason,..while there may be other reasons as well, but IMHO, there is one that has caused the Domino effect......and while I am aware I may be wrong....but one can state his opion !
        The " KEY Reason " is : The Complacency !
        ..Complacency, in psycology of players, which may originate from " retiring millioner Stars, to the nature of lazy Iranian football,to wrong sence an over spending,overly supportive a billioner owner can provide,as well as lack of history and hard work to qualify to reach the first league "....
        And these millioner players who are supposed to be an example for the new generations, have been giving wrong signals to the younger players...and total team effort and team dedication ,and the lucker room atmospher has become everything but challenging !
        While the players may time to time offer a better effort on the field.....but, there will never be a consistant team effort....untill the whole team would understand the value and previlage of thier jobs..and that may be impossible with currant setting...as there is nothing for players to prove !
        Salam Bahram Jan , Mokhlisim.

I couldn't agree more on your Complacency factor which is very common amongst Iranian footballers. I dare to say that this is a cultural issue and it is not really an exclusive attribute of footballers or the rich ones at least.

The silliest and the most abhorring comments I keep hearing on TV is that this or that team "Be had 'e ma nist". Statements of Complacency and arrogance even from the most respected personalities which has lead to screwed up mentality. Football does not understand names or stars , you get results by performance and not by how shiny is the name of your players on the field.

Complacency needs to addressed from grassroots level.
        Last edited by maij; 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Simply maij jaan, Steel Azin is a team with no motivation, and no cultural roots or dedicated fan base. The shahrestani fans support their own teams and in Tehran too the share of support goes to the capital's red and blue. The one chance Steel Azin has, is to be sent out to a place like Khorasan or Shiraz, both big states in Iran, currently not represented in the IPL at all.
          sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
            Simply maij jaan, Steel Azin is a team with no motivation, and no cultural roots or dedicated fan base. The shahrestani fans support their own teams and in Tehran too the share of support goes to the capital's red and blue. The one chance Steel Azin has, is to be sent out to a place like Khorasan or Shiraz, both big states in Iran, currently not represented in the IPL at all.
            Great points, however gotta add Ardebil to the list, as they hold one of the better stadiums of the country as well as one of the most passionate fans, thus almost guaranteed packed stadium which is the most critical and essential factor in selecting a city for such transfers!

Keep in mind that both Shiraz and Mashhad teams often played their home games in pretty much empty stadiums!

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
              That is a factor of course , although many people think that the fan base is becoming less significant in team success than it used to be.

The two Esfahani teams , ZA and Sepahan have a margin of the support that PP & SS have and they also lag behind Tabrizi and Khuzestani teams , yet they are undoubtedly the most successful teams in the last few years.

As for the motivation , I totally agree with you. This Steel Azin , or the players motivation is money and that is NOT always the right formula for success in football.

sigpic

Comment

Agha Majid;

So good to see your posts. In light of recent events (KSA troops in Bahrain), I was really worried about safety of people in Bahrain and especially you and your family.

I agree totally with your post but I agree even more with part of your post that goes "there isn't a single reason for failure or success". . I wish all of us keep reminding ourselves that in our daily life.

Please keep posting, that way we know you are safe and sound and despite these dark days, pretty soon it will be Norooz (New day). Things in Bahrain maybe not go as easy as it went in Egypt. But hopefully cooler heads will prevail at the end and at the end they all work together to address the legitimate concerns of the masses in Bahrain.

Ghorbanat Ali
                Last edited by Ali Chicago; 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM.
                "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
                Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
                Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Chicago View Post
                  Agha Majid;

So good to see your posts. In light of recent events (KSA troops in Bahrain), I was really worried about safety of people in Bahrain and especially you and your family.

I agree totally with your post but I can't agree more with part of your post that goes "there isn't a single reason for failure or success". . I wish all of us keep reminding ourselves that in our daily life.

Please keep posting, that way we know you are safe and sound and despite these dark days, pretty soon it will be Norooz (New day). Things in Bahrain maybe not go as easy as it went in Egypt. But hopefully cooler heads will prevail at the end and at the end they all work together to address the legitimate concerns of the masses in Bahrain.

Ghorbanat Ali
                  Ali Jan....Once again , I really appreciate your concern and messages of support and sympathy. Such compassionate feelings is heart warming under the very difficult conditions that we are currently going through.... Your support is vital to prevent the genocide being carried out by the criminal regimes of the Al Khalifa and Al Saud. Thank you , Brother.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maij View Post
                    Ali Jan....Once again , I really appreciate your concern and messages of support and sympathy. Such compassionate feelings is heart warming under the very difficult conditions that we are currently going through.... Your support is vital to prevent the genocide being carried out by the criminal regimes of the Al Khalifa and Al Saud. Thank you , Brother.
                    Maij jaan,

As your signature states, indeed the power of people and voice of freedom will eventually prevail, I am still in disbelief that the Saudis and Emirates army have been deployed in Bahrain to silence the voice of oppressed people, totally outrageous.

Sorry for deviating the topic!

Comment

Salam Majid jan,

What's going on in Bahrain? Hope the outcome will be good for the people.

About SA, mmmm should we call it AC Milan of Iran? famous close to retiring players?

Hedaiati tried to win the heart of the fans. He failed and the motivation of his famous players is gone with it.

With the money he spent, he could have a combo of foreign base players with much better success margin.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by Hajagha View Post
                        Salam Majid jan,

What's going on in Bahrain? Hope the outcome will be good for the people.
                        In short , it is called "ethnic cleansing". I have never thought that I will live the day to witness and experience such brutality, inhumaneness, cowardice and ruthlessness by a group of people let alone the government and the regeime which in a civilized society should be upholding order and the law.

Originally posted by Hajagha View Post
                        About SA, mmmm should we call it AC Milan of Iran? famous close to retiring players?

Hedaiati tried to win the heart of the fans. He failed and the motivation of his famous players is gone with it.

With the money he spent, he could have a combo of foreign base players with much better success margin.

Cheers,
                        Yes , he seems to have lost his compass.

To me he typifies the classical Iranian Manager. It is unfortunate that the country is suffering from lack of management skill. I guess the environment that they currently live in does not allow much creativity and leadership. It is like following a strict guidline initiated , controlled and operated by the clergy with ultimately one objective in mind.

In the midst of this failure by Steel Azin , we must not however forget the role of the players. Shame on them all....I have lost respect for each one of them.They simply have not earned their paycheck.

sigpic

Comment

Agha Majid;

I know it sound like a mantra but these days won't last long. People of Bahrain may have to pay a higher price by their blood and lives. Road to democracy and improvement is never a 4 line high way and full of bumps and road blocks. I am sure at the end people will pervail.

It is amazing how the rulers never learn this very simple lesson, that they can intimadate people for a while, but not forever.

It is Noorooz a new day, rejuvenation of natures, hope a new day in Iran and Bahrain starts soon as well. Please try to keep safe. I miss having heated discussions with you.

Ali
                          Last edited by Ali Chicago; 03-23-2011, 08:12 AM.
                          "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
                          Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
                          Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
                          sigpic

Comment

Maij,

I hope things get better in Bahrain and wish you and family salaamati.

Oil and tourism(Hadj) money at work!!!! by Saudis.

Regarding Steel Azin, a team full of left-over stars with no youth base, endless wealth and bad management, nothing more could be expected.

Norooz Pirooz
                            ================================================== =====

Comment

Maij jaan,
                              Steel Azin is an outstanding example of how the whole football establishment in Iran which is run by the government of course, is against anything that attempts to professionalize our football. I am actually not very surprised that they are on the bottom of the table now and soon will be sent to the second division where they will be forgotten for good. May this be a lesson for anyone else trying to do it without having a Paasdar as their boss!!!

Now as for Bahrain .. first, I wish you and your family are safe there and I hope the situation gets back to normal (whatever that means) soon.

I am sadden to see the arab army setting foot in a land that really belonged to Iran. Here is something worth watching ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ui28...EEEFF7D9ADB2FC

Comment

Working...
                              X