Ehsan Hajsafi the enigma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ehsan Hajsafi the enigma

This player barely ever manages to play as expected. Sometimes he's brilliant and sometimes he's just horrible.

Today in ACL Hajsafi was the worst player on the pitch. Not only that he overall played poorly and made lots of mistakes, he also showed horrible positioning and a poor tackling causing the first goal and a terrible challenge resulting in a pk which was saved by Rahmati.

Already before AC he had had a string of amazingly bad performances in TM and when everyone thought this guy will cost us dearly at AC, he played a flawless tournament.

And even earlier than that, Hajsafi used to either inspire people to calling him Iran's Fabregas or wondering what this guy does on a football pitch frequently.

I really wonder why this guy is so inconsistent. He undoubtedly has skill, but meanwhile it can't be blamed on lack of experience and his young age anymore. He's 21 and has 36 caps for Iran and loads of IPL and ACL matches under his belt.

Also his ups and downs in quality don't seem related to his playing position. He has great and weak performances as winger, fullback and central midfielder.

He is just like his teamate Tore, either he is fantastic or completely horrible, there's no middle ground for this guy. I think it has a lot to do with his confidence and lack of composure. Once he starts off the match on a good note and brilliant moves he will keep it up till the end of the match, however should he blunder a few times in the beginning of the game he will suck right to the end of it. Today's performance was a clear example of what I just said, first he failed to execute a complete and spot-on tackle, thus letting the opponent to escape his failed tackle and scored right after, then later on into the second half he committed a lousy although suspicious foul causing the penalty.

Overall he had way too many errors in his game today, it's beyond me why GN chose to sub out Aghili rather than players like him and Bengar, 2 players who mainly cost us a loss!

Comment

^ I completely agree Bengar was begging for substitution. I never was a GN fan, so I am not surprised about his decision making here. And you are right about Toure, seeing him today makes one wonder how he can be Aghaye Goal of a the league.

But back to Hajsafi, I am not sure if it's just an issue of how he starts the match. I think how he starts the game is rather a sign for how his shape is on that day. Today he looked slow, uninspired and lacking fighting spirit and will to win from the start. He was just jogging and not even going into one-on-one situations. I really wonder why neither GN nor Ghotbi ever reacted to such an attitude by sidelining him.

Comment

Hajsafi had a dip in form for about a year, but he has regained his good form since the beginning of the AC games. He has been instrumental in the recent Sepahan's good run. His today's bad performance was an exception that happens for every football player.

One of the main problems about him is that he plays too many football games every year. He plays for TM, Omid team and Sepahan, and his club is usually involved in three competitions. This season alone, he has played for Sepahan in three competitions, a tough tournament with TM and a tournament with Omid in China. Just in the past 55 days alone, he has played 12 games, 11 games with Sepahan as well as a game with the Omid team in Kyrgyzstan. He can't play well in every single one of these games, and on top of that he might get burned out or suffers a bad injury.

I hope Queroz realizes this and protects him from playing too often.
        2, 9, 10, 11 and 14

Comment

I guess it's the difference between talented people and professional footballers. Plus the whole psychological coaching and development of a player, which Iran lacks in every aspect, might be a reason too

Comment

Originally posted by TM-Fan View Post
            Hajsafi had a dip in form for about a year, but he has regained his good form since the beginning of the AC games. He has been instrumental in the recent Sepahan's good run. His today's bad performance was an exception that happens for every football player.

One of the main problems about him is that he plays too many football games every year. He plays for TM, Omid team and Sepahan, and his club is usually involved in three competitions. This season alone, he has played for Sepahan in three competitions, a tough tournament with TM and a tournament with Omid in China. Just in the past 55 days alone, he has played 12 games, 11 games with Sepahan as well as a game with the Omid team in Kyrgyzstan. He can't play well in every single one of these games, and on top of that he might get burned out or suffers a bad injury.

I hope Queroz realizes this and protects him from playing too often.
            Makes sense. This is a major factor.

Also, I am still not sold for him being a defender in international competition.

Two of our most talented wingers with great poise for offensive midfield, Hajsafi and Aliasgari, are being used as right and left defense!?

They were initially midfielders but forced to move back to defense. They might eventually learn to play as a defender consistently (a key factor for any international goalie and defender), but that is not how they started their young career, and that is not where they wanted to play.

For now, I don't believe either one of them are suited to play defense in international level. And, I don't believe either one of them are happy with their current position as a defender. This factor can also play a major role in their lack of consistency.
            We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
            Go IRAN!

Comment

Kaebi also was forced to play as rightback from young age on and actually it helped him develop into a good player. Also most of the mistakes Hajsafi makes on his off days are really basic mistakes, like mis-controls, weak passes, slow decision making or failing to react to new playing situations.

If I suddenly forget how to handle a ball or to chase an opponent only because I play outside my favourite position, I have no future in professional football.

Also in ACL he played as a wingback, with three central defenders behind him, so basically he shouldn't have felt that uncomfortable there.

So I don't think the major issue is the playing position. I more think it's either a concentration or an attitude issue. In either case, I think some sports psychologist might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin-Reza View Post
                Kaebi also was forced to play as rightback from young age on and actually it helped him develop into a good player. Also most of the mistakes Hajsafi makes on his off days are really basic mistakes, like mis-controls, weak passes, slow decision making or failing to react to new playing situations.
                If I suddenly forget how to handle a ball or to chase an opponent only because I play outside my favourite position, I have no future in professional football.
                Also in ACL he played as a wingback, with three central defenders behind him, so basically he shouldn't have felt that uncomfortable there.
                So I don't think the major issue is the playing position. I more think it's either a concentration or an attitude issue. In either case, I think some sports psychologist might help.
                I don't think Kaebi's example is a logical deduction. If one person can do something, in this case can adjust to something, it does not constitute a fact that others can do it too. Many factors such as personality, personal talent, environment, motivation and side issues, along with upbringing and learning process effects such matter.

Plus, in case of Kaabi, there were other factors that helped. Mainly, Kaabi knew he had no chance to take Mahdavi kia's spot with his quality and Europe experience, at least for the next 5-6 years. Not a case for any winger currently. Also, Branko brought him from around age of 16 which is much earlier career than 20-21.
                We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
                Go IRAN!

Comment

Does anyone know if Kaabi's age is really what his birth certificate says? There were always rumors the guy is 5 years older than what his Birth Certificate shows.
                  "When I see the good in you, you get motivated, feel good about yourself and that creates synergy. It creates an environment where everybody can work better together. I think in the Iranian culture it becomes very ordinary to always see the bad in each other."
                  Afshin Ghotbi ( Former TM Head Coach)

Nasser Hejazi was the Takhti of our football.
                  Mohammad Panjali (Former PP and TM Captain)
                  sigpic

Comment

i call him Hajsafi the mediocre

Comment

Hajsafi is a very strange player. I just can't explain his inconsistency...
                      Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Originally posted by Babak agha View Post
                        I guess it's the difference between talented people and professional footballers. Plus the whole psychological coaching and development of a player, which Iran lacks in every aspect, might be a reason too

You took the words right out of my mouth

A player could be very talented , he could be the best in the world AKA Maradaona , but lack professional attitude , fails to adjust to professionalism and lacks discipline (socially and professionally). I think most Iranian talented young players suffer from attitude problem. Hossein Kabei is just another example so is Mossalman and Ouladi to name a few.

I agree with Martin that this guy is sometimes brilliant and sometime a piece of furniture and a liability.

The solutions are there , but I wonder if the Persian culture will allow the proper and natural development of such undoubted talent like Hajsafy , Ansarifard , Bakhtiar Rahmani and the rest

sigpic

Comment

I think today he was very good again. And that as leftback in a fourback with an also very offensive minded rightback (Heydari) against a very strong team. I think that supports my claim the problem is not (at least no mainly) a problem of playing position.

Comment

Working...
                          X