The goal that broke 75 million hearts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The goal that broke 75 million hearts

I didn't have any expectation with regards to the score line before the Iran - Argentina game started.
    In fact I had predicted a 2-0 loss in the prediction table. If you had told me ''would you be happy if Iran lost by 1-0?'' before the game, I'd have happily agreed readily.

By the end of first half, I was actually happy to have lasted a whole half without conceding (especially after those 2, 3 headers they had that came quite close).

By minute 60, I was slowly feeling something new. I was extremely happy we had held tight and now, were actually sniffing things up and creating dangers with our well crafted counters. Could we hold them for another 30 min? Or more pertinent, do I actually dare think about scoring a goal even? It sure wasn't that distant a dream it was before the WC or even an hour back.

By Minute 75 I was actually delirious. As much as holding our own against one of the best teams in the world, but also for the fact that our scoring a goal had become a very real and possible reality.

Minute 85, with dissipation of our attacks, I gave up on us scoring and actually started to count the seconds for a well deserved draw. Was at the edge of my seat and everything else around me was a blur and haze.
    But at the same time, it was surreal. Any moment, I expected to open my eyes and either find that I was sleeping. Or that only 10-15 minutes of the game has passed. Couldn't believe we had lasted. Surely the Argies either have scored and I had missed it. Or they will score in the ''next half''. Minute 85? Impossible. Must be 25.

Minute 90, the adrenaline must have overtaken the number of red blood cells in my veins. My head was pounding and I felt each and every second ticking. It was crazy, delirium doesn't even come close. Now there was belief. A strong sense of belief that we've almost done it and have won the bloody world cup. The game stood as its own cup and I wasn't even aware of the concept of a tournament. The entire WC was one game and the next couple of minutes.
    I was standing up. Couldn't sit anymore.

"What? FOUR F**KING MINUTES??? What for?'' I screamed. "Who died on the pitch to have taken this much time?''
    I was busy complaining about the time, and then just like a sense of inevitability and premonition, the moment Messi got hold of the ball, I knew deep in my gut that something bad was about to happen. The ominous feeling I didn't have on all the other instances throughout the game whenever he or another player was getting close to our goal.
    This one was new, however.
    Surely God can not be this cruel. If he wanted to punish us, he could have done it in the first 80 minutes of the game. But to do this after minute 90 is not cruel. It's downright unholy and ungodly.

I sat down and started saying ''No, no, no ...'' with each one of his touches when he twisted, then dribbled. "No, no ..'', then just like watching an old movie you've seen a million times and can repeat all the dialogue before the actors say them, ... once he moved from the right, opened his body up, brought the ball to his dreaded/blessed (hey, I AM a Barca fan and have seen this very move a million times) left foot, I felt my heart sink before he actually kicked the ball.

The optimist side of me had one last sadistic stab, in a split second, when I ''tried'' to fool myself thinking either Haghighi will deflect it or it will brush past the post. But even then, I knew the end result even if I could close my eyes.

I have three comments which I make them brief and to the point:

1) The goal was preventable had Hajsafi not been subbed out as he was doing a good job covering the left midfield. When Haghighi came in, I immediately started to get butterflies in my stomach. I hope we do not make unnecessary subs like this anymore. It was not after all such a disaster or an embarassment to be scored on by Messi, known as the best goal-getter in the World in recent years.

2) I still think Argentina will want to have a solid win vs. Nigeria to boost their own psychology going into the knock-out stages and answer the critics after weak showings in the first two games. Iran should still have a fairly high chance to reach the next round by earning a win against Bosnia. Let's see all the support IR put in for Bosnia in the early to mid 1990's supporting them against Serbian aggression would have a payoff.

3) I am happy the IFF sent a complaint to FIFA against the Serbian referee. Officiating in this tournament has been very weak and in almost every single match there are incorrect calls. Today for instance the ref did not call a handball / penalty kick for Mexico when they played Croatia. Or Suarez's 2nd goal against England which was offside... there have been about a dozen gross refereeing blunders thus far in the World Cup.
    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

^
      #1- I think CQ brought haghighi in for his height, expecting Argentina would get desperate and start pumping the ball into the 18.
      But yes, Hajsafi is a more active, energetic player and maybe he'd have provided first line of defense, in between RGN and Messi.

#2- I wouldn't hold my breath.
      ANY aid IR gave to any bloody country, we should assume it to be unconditional. Syria, Venezuela, Iraq, Lebanon, ... are all prime examples of bloody leeches who've received millions of aid (in all shapes and forms), but have never reciprocated.
      And the tragedy is that the IR is fine with it!!!

Comment

The one thing IFF needs to do right now, is making sure they extend CQ's contract. Hopefully there will be some form of compromise in the coming days or weeks.
        sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Working...
        X