IRAN - SWEDEN , Friendly 31/3/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRAN - SWEDEN , Friendly 31/3/2015

I think it was a decent game by Iran. I'm happy CQ didn't opt for the bus system and came to play. So we came to play and show the Chile game was not a fluke. Especially whenever we chose to keep the ball on the ground and use the width of the pitch, ... as opposed to the times our players' brains received no blood so they just kicked the ball high up field, which played to the Swedes' game plan.

I think maybe the result could have been slightly kinder had we kept our emotions in control and used logic a bit more. Meaning if we tried more moves on the ground and less useless crosses into the Swedes' 18 which were almost entirely met by the tall Swedish defense. Basically we just didn't have an answer to the opponents' HEIGHT & PHYSICAL STRENGTH. This showed all over the pitch, be it up field or near our goal, where we conceded the goals only due to lack of height and coming seconds in physical battles.

That's not to say we couldn't have done better. For example this strength and height factor was known by all before the game. Why wasn't Sadeghi, who among all our defenders has somewhat an equal chance at this, sit on the bench? I would be more critical of this had it been an official game. But I suppose CQ wanted to give Pouraliganji a start against a top team. So we'll let it go.

I assume these two factors also decided the use of Montazeri at the RB. He did have some very bright moves going up, but in defense he had a mixed display of good as well as bad defensive showings.

And we looked comfortable going forward for most parts, with Dejagah despite showing some rust (probably due to where he plays his club football, which tends to make players lazy), he actually had some bright patches and looked at home facing some very big names of European football. I only wish he'd get back to his old form.

Amiri the newcomer continued to impress with his skills and pace. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get a couple of offers from scouts. And he's just an IPL player, the same beleaguered league that some love to put down. There are plenty of gems in our IPL, if the coach decides to trust them.

Shojaei however surprised me by having a pretty good showing. Some nifty passes that reminded us of the shojaei of 6-7 years back. His display was good. Nothing earth shattering, but given his recent years' displays, this one was laudable.

RGN is slowly showing some rust, just like Dejagah. But it is also the fact that he is ALONE up field, which makes scoring very difficult as it is. But given the height and physicality of the Swedish defense, we just can't begrudge him much, although he did try valiantly. He also had a very clever, cheeky tough that bounced off the post, which shows his quick thinking and feet, as well as brightness in decision making (if only he used this in choosing where he plays too !!!!)

Nekounam and Ando also did ok. Nothing to brag about. But then again it was always going to be a tough ask facing a much tougher and taller team 3 days after meeting a very good Chile team. They did lack a few touches in distribution though. And I just have to question the persistent need to crossing high balls. We just didn't need to as we showed more success in keeping it low. In fact our goal was the result of using our ball skills and pace, instead of playing to the Swedes' strength.

Defense wasn't too bad if we consider our shortcomings (pun intended). They did as best as they could to quell the barrage of physical attacks. But we just didn't have an answer to those two deciding factors. However o didn't appreciate zlatan's brutish and thuggish behavior. The idiot needs to calm down. Ass.

Haghighi is well, as I have always said, he's an ok keeper. Nothing really fantastic. As I said in F+ forum, he seems to be indecisive how to choose his parries, punches, collections, ... .
    Given his age i'd say he's worth investing on. Otherwise ....
    I think we should start to look at Beiranvand a little more seriously.

All in all it was a good outing for our team that very rarely faces such opponents. But more importantly, I have to say thank God there's noone as tall or as physical as the Swedes in Asia. So I'm not too worried about the score line. Hood learning experience for all.

Sweden was good on the ground too, they are a great team. Surprised they did not make it to the World Cup last year. Iran needs to keep playing with opponents like these on regular basis to improve. Also I believe if Azmoun was around for this match, he'd certainly make an impact. I am increasingly liking his technical skills... he adds a missing dimension to the team once fully integrated. Jahanbakhsh however, seems to be overrated.
    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Mate, I am not convinced about this thing that many bring about absence of JB and azmoun, as you also brought up. I mean are we seriously saying this? Against Sweden? When on tone very same day these two couldn't get the better of a bunch Saudi amateurs?

I am not saying these two are bad players. Far from it. These two are very gifted. But everything has to be considered within reality. They couldn't have much of an impact against a bunch of youngsters (even if they were Africans in reality), so based on what exactly do we believe they could get the better of Swedish giants?
      We just don't know. So lets not presume such things.

Comment

Losing is not the issue...TM ,in an ideal system, should have had games like this on regular bases..just like Japan or Korea...

Comment

U23 lost to Saudi likely because the whole team malfunctioned. I watched the highlights and KSA scored two really nice goals, somewhat lucky too. I think they always come in with high motivation when facing Iran which causes them to raise the level of play. Match-ups and history are always big issue in sports!
          sigpic

Comment

That game was more like: TM U23 versus Moradmand (who singlehandedly did more damage than the entire Saudi team)

Comment

I don't think there was much that separated us from Sweden aside from two points:

1. Physical build of the Swedish National Team. This was the first time in a very long time that we looked like the physically weaker side. For all the matches I've seen since the 2013 WCQ, we were physically stronger, taller, and more aggressive than our opponents. We lost this advantage against the Swedes (whose average height was something near 186-187cm) and it was on fully display in the first 20 minutes.

2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Putting aside the fact that he was extremely aggressive, Zlatan showed why he is one of the top 5 players in the world today. The fact that he embodies the features mentioned in my first point make him a very difficult player to manage for Team Melli (even more so than Messi and Ronaldo).

Overall, it was good match excluding the first 20 minutes where it looked like we were on course for a whooping. The scoreline was not reflective of how well we played and 2-2 or 2-1 would have been more fair. If this match were to be replayed and we had access to our full arsenal of players, I think we could beat this Swedish team. Zlatan alone takes this team up two pegs higher than they really are.

While it's important for Team Melli to play these types of games, what I really liked was that this was played in quick succession to the Chile match. The players need to get used to playing at such a high intensity over a short period of time (regardless of how match-fit they are).
              Last edited by K. Nader; 04-02-2015, 07:28 AM.

Comment

IFF needs to go to work right away. Both the senior team and U23 need new coaching staff... There is no time to lose.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X