Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should Iran's footballing identity be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ali.Karimi79 View Post

Care to provide the stats? Based on my persopnal observation i don't believe we are near top 3rd teams.
    Happy to be proven wrong.
    Here it is in graphical form. Iran is 10th in height at this World Cup.
    I haven't embedded as the graph is too big for the forum parameters:

https://i.redd.it/xtzturca8f0a1.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...ge_height_and/

World Cup 2018 we were in the top 10 as well:

QbKkPyF.png

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post

disgree strongly. In terms of height, weight, strength… our teams in the past world cups have been in the top 3rd of teams consistently.

we also run an incredible amount now. We just don’t run smart! go look at the stats - I couldn’t believe the distances.
      Also believe it or not, our players top speeds for the most part are above average (except for guys like Ezatollahi).

again, what makes our football look slow and lethargic is what comes from most our players having been taught to play in tactics that were appropriate for 1994! Static, flat footed, lots of time with cramped midfields.

our players have speed, our football doesn’t.
      Blaming it on physical shortcomings, respectfully is wrong and irrelevant.
      Nokhodi Jaan, I'd like to see your stats as well.

Iran was not in the top half in terms of team distance (https://www.ft.com/content/a7c29bcc-...e-b3232db83e5a)

Comment

Here it is in graphical form. Iran is 10th in height at this World Cup.
        I haven't embedded as the graph is too big for the forum parameters:

Thanks for the charts Nokhodi Jan but i meant in terms of strenght, speed and stamina.
        Height and Weight means nothing tbh.

IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Thanks for the charts Nokhodi Jan but i meant in terms of strenght, speed and stamina.

Ak jan, you had mentioned player height specifically, so I went and found those stats.

Regarding strength and stamina - I don't think they even cover those stats, and I'm not sure how they would collect/compare for all the players.

I'm looking for the running distance/speed stats right now. Will share with all.

Comment

I saw cumulative running stats, and we were pretty good, unfortunately I can't find the tabulated version and it would take me days to compile all the individual match data.

As an interesting side note, the team that was pretty much number one on all the running stats (distance, speeds) was the US. They outran their opponents cumulatively by at least a few kms every game. Even against England.

Since I couldn't find the combine stats, I will share the stats from each game for you that Iran played in terms of running:
            England - Iran
            Total Distance Covered
            119.2 km ENG
            121.5 km IRN
            High Speed Distance Covered
            15.6 km ENG
            16.2 km IRN

Iran - Wales
            Total Distance Covered
            116.8 km IRN
            111.9 km WAL
            14.8 km IRN
            15.7 km WAL​

Iran - USA
            Total Distance Covered
            120.5 km IRN
            126 km USA
            15.8 km IRN
            19.5 km USA

I glanced through the game stats for some other matches, and the only teams that were running more and faster than us were teams like the US, Australia and France!

Even South Korea, Netherlands, Senegal, Argentina, Saudi, Poland... all them were slower and ran less.

Looking at the numbers alone is not a great indicator of everything - for example Argentina is always near the bottom of the running and speed stats, but they do well.

What matters is you play the right style.

CQ wanted to play a style where we just run, but he didn't select the right players, because at the transition points we are generally too slow. At those points we need to play a more technical style, but CQ is too rigid.

In short, Iran's issue really isn't running or even physical. It's about choosing the wrong system versus the wrong opponents. Trying to win the running game versus a team like the US is suicide.

Comment

IFF Incompetence - Bazi Kon Salari - Failure - Never learn from mistakes

Everytime we have good team and have chance to do something big in wc some how someone f*ks it up.! In 2006 we had a great team but failed badly as players weren't united. ali karimi caused lots of trouble.

This year we also had a great team and had the potential to qualify to next round but players like Taremi , ansarifard (buthurt that he wasn't invited), jahanbakhsh and hajsafi messed it up for us. CQ was a mistake and if you don't agree with this then you're simply in denial!

Comment

Yes the players were guilty of destabilizing the coach. Not sure if Skocic would have done any better, given the political situation and distractions. And most of our stars were doing quite poorly this year so our chances were rapidly dwindling...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw cumulative running stats, and we were pretty good, unfortunately I can't find the tabulated version and it would take me days to compile all the individual match data.

As an interesting side note, the team that was pretty much number one on all the running stats (distance, speeds) was the US. They outran their opponents cumulatively by at least a few kms every game. Even against England.

Since I couldn't find the combine stats, I will share the stats from each game for you that Iran played in terms of running:
                  England - Iran
                  Total Distance Covered
                  119.2 km ENG
                  121.5 km IRN
                  15.6 km ENG
                  16.2 km IRN

Iran - Wales
                  Total Distance Covered
                  116.8 km IRN
                  111.9 km WAL
                  14.8 km IRN
                  15.7 km WAL​

Iran - USA
                  Total Distance Covered
                  120.5 km IRN
                  126 km USA
                  15.8 km IRN
                  19.5 km USA

I glanced through the game stats for some other matches, and the only teams that were running more and faster than us were teams like the US, Australia and France!

Even South Korea, Netherlands, Senegal, Argentina, Saudi, Poland... all them were slower and ran less.

Looking at the numbers alone is not a great indicator of everything - for example Argentina is always near the bottom of the running and speed stats, but they do well.

What matters is you play the right style.

CQ wanted to play a style where we just run, but he didn't select the right players, because at the transition points we are generally too slow. At those points we need to play a more technical style, but CQ is too rigid.

In short, Iran's issue really isn't running or even physical. It's about choosing the wrong system versus the wrong opponents. Trying to win the running game versus a team like the US is suicide.
                  Good post. And Argentina is in the final. It’s moreso pace of ball movement vs player pace that’s important.

Even ball movement doesn’t always have to be fast, just in certain phases of the game.

There’s a reason why our futsal is a lot better than our football team. We’re not used to playing in a bigger space, which requires a different skillset.

But I think we should model our game after Brazil (although obviously a much more watered down version). Free spirited with flair but with good decision-making.

It’d be cool if we had a Brazilian soccer academy in Iran…

Comment

Thank you for your effort Nokhodi jan. Damet garm. Maybe i am just too harsh on our players because i desperately want them to succeed. I could swear that they are nowhere near the rest of the teams but you proved me wrong.
                    The quoted part is the best summary tbh. Nokhodi for TM coach
                    IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Speed speed speed.

If we keep on insisting with our slow turtle style, we deserve nothing

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                        Speed speed speed.

If we keep on insisting with our slow turtle style, we deserve nothing
                        Agree. Add pass accuracy, quick decisions and freekicks/corners to the list.
                        In summary: We need to catch up with the rest of the world.

Comment

Iran’s footballing identity should be not islamic.

And looking at how brave and courageous our people have been and continue to do so, it doesn’t look like it will stay islamic for long in 2023.

The end is near for i.r. There’s no stopping this revolution.

Comment

You should build your identify based on the players you have, not come with an identity / idea, and try to force it on the players.
                            --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                            --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                            ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                            --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                            ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X