Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Persian Gulf Cup Updates (Iran's opponents)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qatar won the Persian gulf cup by beating Saudi Arabia 2-1 in Riyad

Qatar and UAE will give us problems in the Asian Cup

Comment

Saudi vs. Qatar 1:2 Goals:

http://youtu.be/Bx_-Tv3bf28

Comment

Originally posted by sarbaz View Post

Saudi Arabia is not a good team at all. They are a shadow of their past. Anyhow, we just have to focus on ourselves and trust our own abilities while we respect our opponents and not underestimating them.

Defence-wise and physically we seem to be bulletproof. With the last friendlies we just need to reach greater harmony in transitional play and attacking flair. We have great potential and should hopefully do well in the AC!

DO DO DO DO IRAN!

Comment

LOL 8-0ers!!!!!!!!!!!!
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Definitely not a good omen to have the current best Arab team and current best Arab striker in our group. Having said that, most of the goals in this tournament have been off some seriously ATROCIOUS defending.

As much as UAE's front line is very strong their goalie and defense are big time soorakh. That's why we have to take the game to them from the start.

Comment

Coming back from a goal down in that stadium against the strongest Arab team is quite an achievement. Should be a wake-up call for all those taking them lightly.

On a different note, I guess they brought this result over the time by excessive time wasting, anyone knowing how much injury time there was in the end?

Comment

3 minutes but the Qataris did not do any time waisting or grass rollingwhen i watched the last 10 minutes of the match

Comment

The player that scored the winning goal for Qatar is Algerian

Comment

They may. People on this board constantly ridiculing these Persian Gulf teams, historically make the very same mistake and often get disappointed, Mind you we made the same mistake back in 2004 and 2005 during our 2006 WCQ route, when we were beaten by Jordan in Tehran before a packed Azadi stadium, and later on in our group stage almost got eliminated, thus missing out on WC 2006, many thanks to Hashemian's brilliance and Borhani's last minute goal with that beautiful assist by Khodadad. It's so sad that we never learn from our own mistakes, very same mentality goes to our teams and players for often they underestimate the weaker opponents, thus by not respecting them enough get punished (Remember Lebanon of 2 years ago? the 1-0 loss?)

Need I remind you of our bitter loss against Bahrain in 2001 which rewarded the Saudis with their tickets to 2002 World Cup? We outright played super arrogant (Typical Iranian trait) and got our behinds handed to us by the Bahrainis who were promised a Mercedes to each player by the Saudis should they beat us, hence kick us out and warrant the KSA team their qualification to the WC. Do you folks remember that unpleasant and torturous Saudi flag celebration by the bahraini players? Didn't we learn a few lesson from that crappy day and hurtful flag incident? Apparently not, apparently never will!

Rest assured all of the above incident won't be the end of it, I promise you all that we will again in the future get frustrated by some of these States in the future as our arrogance has always been our biggest enemy throughout our history. Khod bozorg bini ham haddi daare vaaghean!

Lower your expectations and always respect the opponents, no matter how small they may seem!

Comment

Originally posted by Keano View Post
                      They may. People on this board constantly ridiculing these Persian Gulf teams, historically make the very same mistake and often get disappointed, Mind you we made the same mistake back in 2004 and 2005 during our 2006 WCQ route, when we were beaten by Jordan in Tehran before a packed Azadi stadium, and later on in our group stage almost got eliminated, thus missing out on WC 2006, many thanks to Hashemian's brilliance and Borhani's last minute goal with that beautiful assist by Khodadad. It's so sad that we never learn from our own mistakes, very same mentality goes to our teams and players for often they underestimate the weaker opponents, thus by not respecting them enough get punished (Remember Lebanon of 2 years ago? the 1-0 loss?)

Need I remind you of our bitter loss against Bahrain in 2001 which rewarded the Saudis with their tickets to 2002 World Cup? We outright played super arrogant (Typical Iranian trait) and got our behinds handed to us by the Bahrainis who were promised a Mercedes to each player by the Saudis should they beat us, hence kick us out and warrant the KSA team their qualification to the WC. Do you folks remember that unpleasant and torturous Saudi flag celebration by the bahraini players? Didn't we learn a few lesson from that crappy day and hurtful flag incident? Apparently not, apparently never will!

Rest assured all of the above incident won't be the end of it, I promise you all that we will again in the future get frustrated by some of these States in the future as our arrogance has always been our biggest enemy throughout our history. Khod bozorg bini ham haddi daare vaaghean!

Lower your expectations and always respect the opponents, no matter how small they may seem!

Going into this tournament as the number 1 team in Asia can go two ways.

1 - The arrogance you mentioned above x 100 as the players will expect a win and play like the galacticos they are NOT.
                      2 - CQ will have drilled them and used his experience as a coach who in his career would have gone into many seasons/competitions as the favorite and managed to keep his teams ego in check and gotten the best out of them.

Honestly I think 2 is the way I lean. If we had an Iranian coach I would say we would be eliminated in the group stage due to the arrogance of our players and being in a similar situation in the past.

CQ will be the difference for me.

43 DAYS TO GO!!!

Comment

Persian Gulf Cup Updates (Iran's opponents)

It is funny that some people expect Iran to make the semi finals but think Iran will have trouble facing Qatar and UAE. Truly funny and very contradicting. I thought our aim was third place minimum, yet we worry about our group stage opponents? Start worrying about what comes in the K.O stages. UAE and Qatar are not Argentina and Nigeria.

Comment

What makes me wonder when I watch two arab teams play against each other is why some of the audience cheer for one side and not the other ... they are all the same!! :-)

Folks, let me put your minds as ease .... none of these arab teams are anything so special.

They key to win against them is to keep focus during 90 minutes and not get involved in the emotional aspect of the game.

Every time we have lost to arab teams it has been because of lack of concentration and not lack of ability. I hope CQ does not overlook this very important factor when he lines up his team against the arabs.

We should be able to just cruise to the top our group ... anything less would be ISIS!!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
                            It is funny that some people expect Iran to make the semi finals but think Iran will have trouble facing Qatar and UAE. Truly funny and very contradicting. I thought our aim was third place minimum, yet we worry about our group stage opponents? Start worrying about what comes in the K.O stages. UAE and Qatar are not Argentina and Nigeria.
                            It's not contradictory at all brother.

Do you think Germany had no worries in the group stage of the World Cup? Spain thought they could win it and look what happened to them. Things don't always go as planned and our history against some of these teams is not extremely positive.

I'm sorry to say, but your comment reeks of arrogance and that is something that comes back and bites people in the a$$ time and time again. Respect every team on their merits and you will have the greatest chance of progressing.

Those teams are not Argentina or Nigeria, just as we are not Germany or Holland.

Comment

Kiarash jaan,

In order to be successful in all aspects of your life, including in football you need to respect all your opponents/competition. The minute you start undermining your competition (Opponents in sports) is the start of when you deny the existence of others, and get into your comfort zone and neglect the upcoming threats. In Persian we say "Mesle kabk sar saresaho zire barf mikone" refusing to notice/see what's going on around, thinking by dipping its head into snow, no one else will see them, as they don't see anything else.

Sare khodemoono ke gool nemizanim, all I am saying is that we have been bothered by these guys in the past, let's not let history to repeat itself, cuz if we do, then we're nothing but a bunch of idiots!

In order to reach the finals, you just don't say, hameye teamhaaye dige be joz final be tok***me chapam! You respect them and fight like a man!

Comment

Originally posted by babak_australia View Post
                                It's not contradictory at all brother.

Do you think Germany had no worries in the group stage of the World Cup? Spain thought they could win it and look what happened to them. Things don't always go as planned and our history against some of these teams is not extremely positive.

I'm sorry to say, but your comment reeks of arrogance and that is something that comes back and bites people in the a$$ time and time again. Respect every team on their merits and you will have the greatest chance of progressing.

Those teams are not Argentina or Nigeria, just as we are not Germany or Holland.
                                Dame shoma shadidan garm. This is precisely what I am trying to imply. Spain was a fantastic example you brought up!

Comment

Working...
                                X