X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Duerden Article about the Iran vs. South Korea Friendly

"Post-Mideast assessment of Steilike
    By John Duerden

Another game with Iran, another controversy and another set of talking points and another level raised in one of Asia's biggest and fiercest soccer rivalries.

South Korea was furious at the end of the 90 minutes of a friendly against Iran last Tuesday in Tehran. Yet, as the men in red pushed and shoved those in white and were pushed and shoved in return, there should have been some smiles too. It hurts to lose 1-0, it definitely hurts to lose a third successive game by that scoreline to Iran, but there were plenty of positive signs.

Basically, Korea was the superior team. Four days after winning in Jordan, the Taeguk Warriors went to perhaps the toughest arena in Asia and had the host pinned back for much of the 90 minutes. If attackers had been more composed and accurate in front of goal then it could have been different but then this is a common refrain.

Still, Son Heung-min, Lee Chung-yong and Ki Seung-yeung had good games and the new central defensive partnership of Kwak Tae-hwi and Jang Hyun-soo was solid. The goal conceded was controversial and unnecessary.

Unnecessary because, with ten minutes remaining, Korea had multiple opportunities to snuff out a Persian attack before a free-kick was given away in a dangerous area and controversial because when the resulting shot came back off the post, Sardar Azmoun seemed to foul goalkeeper Kim Jin-hyeon as he headed the rebound into the net.

That annoyed the visitor and understandably so. Not only was there frustration at being behind after being on top for most of the game but few, perhaps almost no, referees would have allowed the goal. Korea's stars become more irate as they felt that Iran's players deliberately ran down the clock in the last few minutes -faking injuries, keeping hold of the ball when the referee had awarded a free-kick to the East Asians and that kind of thing. Tensions boiled over - there was nothing friendly about this.

There is an undercurrent of hostility that now pervades this fixture between two giants on the opposite end of the continent. Iran and South Korea have met at the quarterfinal stage at every Asian Cup since 1996 but it was the two meetings during qualification for the 2014 World Cup which took it all to a new level. There's no need to go over it now but Korea complained at the training facilities it was given in Tehran and then the row simmered for months, coming to a head in June 2013 in Ulsan.

In truth, it is a useful rivalry for both teams. It gives Korea a relationship with a team outside the sometimes febrile region of East Asia and Japan, North Korea and China. Iranian officials find it hard to attract strong opposition to Tehran, this was Iran's first game since the World Cup (in contrast, this was Korea's sixth), and the fact that the Taeguk Warriors made the journey at all was appreciated.

And coach Uli Stielike will have learned more about this team in this kind of test than in five games in Seoul against low to mid-ranking South or Central American opposition. This was as close to a competitive game as it is possible for a friendly to be. Before Korea takes the field again, the German, still just two months into the job, must select his roster for the Asian Cup, now less than two months away.

The game may have ended in a painful 1-0 defeat but if the benefits are seen in January then it really will have been a worthwhile trip."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...36_168676.html

and we complain about Arabs being grassrollers and time-waster....
    TEAM MELLI UNTIL THE END

Comment

This guy clearly has a big bias for east asia hes in love with all those south east asian minnows.
      This article just shows how little he actually knows. He makes it seem as iran was dominated and could do nothing but stay back but says nothing about that being queiroz's tactic for a while now...

Comment

I don't think Azmoun's goal was a foul; he had every right to go and challenge for the ball as the keeper did. He won the ball fair and square.
        "Evil is rare, but ignorance is epidemic"

Comment

He's usually a really good writer but he is clearly biased as he lives in South Korea and his wife is Korean.

Comment

Biased article. When did Iran fake injuries, except for Azmoun? The incident including Dejagah wasnt even his fault, the ball was ours.

Comment

Did this delusional writer not notice the clear penalty not given to Iran. Not a mention of this in his one page pot induced article
              “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

John Duerden is by far the most knowledgeable writer on asian football. This article wasn't biased. In fact, I'm glad he brought up the time-wasting because our players have picked up the disgusting habit of grass-rolling and faking injuries. This started under Ghalenoi, and I'm ashamed every time I see it. Rahmati was one of the most shameless when it came to this.

It made me furious when arab teams did it, and now our team does it. Absolutely unacceptable and beneath us.

Comment

Re: John Duerden Article about the Iran vs. South Korea Friendly

Originally posted by ramingeles2000 View Post
                  John Duerden is by far the most knowledgeable writer on asian football. This article wasn't biased. In fact, I'm glad he brought up the time-wasting because our players have picked up the disgusting habit of grass-rolling and faking injuries. This started under Ghalenoi, and I'm ashamed every time I see it. Rahmati was one of the most shameless when it came to this.

It made me furious when arab teams did it, and now our team does it. Absolutely unacceptable and beneath us.
                  He doesn't know much about the rules. Iran goal was no foul. Simply the keeper did not have possession of the ball. SK was the better team in the first half. If not dominated Iran certainly played at par or better in the second half. What this article is missing is that once again SK could not directly go through Iran central defence and had to rely on crosses.

One should not underestimate the WC results for SK. They cannot deliver under stress.
                  .... At the end I am nothing other than ordinary

Comment

Originally posted by ramingeles2000 View Post

THIS
                    H
                    I
                    S
                    pls save us dejagah

Comment

let's not get carried away.... yes, Azmoun grassrolled. Not a good thing to see, but we didn't have an ambulance entering the pitch every 10 minutes, the way it happened in the Iran game against Lebanon in Beirut or the Iran defeat in Bahrain. The games against Lebanon in Beirut showed the ambulance driver high five the lebanese players. That was just pathetic
                      “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

What the hell does he mean ''Korea was superior''?? This idiot has no idea about football. We won 1-0. That means WE were superior.
                        This chap should give up writing about sports if he doesn't understand WIN=SUPERIORITY

What? We were pinned back? Where? Didn't he see it was the Koreans who were pinned back in their own half.... no, in their own BOX?
                        We won. That means they were pinned back.
                        What an idiot. Does he not have any idea about football? Does he not know we have a world famous coach? How can that mean WE were pinned back? No. It was the Koreans who were so desperate and scared that they had to crowd their box.
                        Idiot

Koreans "on top''? Shut up you fool.
                        We won. That means WE were on top. Have some sense, Imbecile!

Comment

well, let them (korean papers, and korean readers) fool themselves, and think they are "that" good, and face the cold water at Asian Cup.
                          Also Stilike might have brought some German fighting spirit to the team and arranged them very offensive but also he will expereince the Asian Football environment in January and see he has to adopt (but that would be a little too late in January).
                          CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Korean didn't dominate shit. It was a piss poor game by both teams and the chances for either team were few and far in between. The validity of the goal could be argued either way but reading this article you wouldn't know that. Durden makes it seem as if korea was far superior and got robbed which is far from truth. Clearly biased but honestly who cares what an honorary korean thinks? All I care about is that the Koreans are butthurt and still crying about Iran.

Comment

on these occasions I listen to the Mario Zagalo song:

CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X