Tractor Sazi, Tabriz and Iranian Azeris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor Sazi, Tabriz and Iranian Azeris

If there are any Iranian Azeris or people who lived in Tabriz or the region on this site I'd like some insight on this matter. People talking out their asses are not welcome.

I've been reading about Tractor Sazi and how it's rivaling Esteghlal and Perspolis in terms of fanaticism and match attendance, something which I thought is really good for the IPL, and I'm finding that there is an ethnic tone to the support as well. Some (most?) Azeris have used the club as a symbol for Azeri nationalism.

I don't know if this is a symptom of:
    A) Issues with the IR regarding learning the Azeri language at schools or other regional issues they find themselves at odds with (ironic since the most powerful man in Iran, Khamenei, is at least partially Azeri)

B) Their way of supporting their club/shit-talk other regions' and cities' clubs like New Yorkers/Bostonians/LA people etc do in the states. Basically similar to ardent sporting regional rivalries anywhere in the world only more powerful since they have one club representing the entire 20 million~

C) Sincere expression to separate from Iran entirely.
    I know that, historically, Iranian Azerbaijian had a few chances to become independent or join with the Ottoman Empire/USSR in the last couple centuries and have opted instead to remain with Persia/Iran. I also know that Tactor Sazi has had players from all over Iran play for its club.

I just wonder if the hype about it being "Iran's Catalonia" is true or misinformed Western bandwagon activism.

A couple articles I've stumbled on

http://tractorfans.blogsky.com/1389/09/22/post-4/

http://www.worldsoccer.com/blogs/how...-became-a-foci

Videos of Tractor Sazi fans chanting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVsdImvhhC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frMu5QNB4nA
    pls save us dejagah

I have not been to Tabriz or Iran in general since i was 6 yrs old, so basically i have zero experience from there. But how many Azaris do i know personally? Probably around 100 at least (Keep in mind that about every 4th or 5th iranian is Azari). And not a single one of them loves the country Azerbaijan or doesnt love Iran. I think its bullshit and more propaganda from outside, out those 20 milion Azaris we have, i think way less than 100.000 are separatists.

I never cared what kind of iranian someone is, it has happened many times i found out by accident someone is a kurd or Lor for example. We really shouldnt care as we all the same. The diversity just adds nice cultures and languages to the country we all love.

Comment

Yesterday, I was watching some TractorSazi fan videos, and was surprised by the number of support for "independence" I was hearing. Its fucking annoying to hear such BS separatist propaganda in Iran's stadiums. Ali Daei said it correctly a couple of years back, Azerbaijan is a part of Iran, and it has been like that forever pretty much. The country of azerbaijan is a fake nation, lets be honest, and those who are blindly chanting against the country that has protected them for centuries are imbeciles. I could argue that Azeris are one of, if not the most powerful ethnic group in Iran, and they do get their way a lot.

Comment

Not this again....
        راه یکی است و آن راستی است

Comment

Originally posted by persepolisfan View Post
          YAli Daei said it correctly a couple of years back, Azerbaijan is a part of Iran, and it has been like that forever pretty much.
          Found the video you were talking about, Daei is so intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiUs2U8Kfio
          pls save us dejagah

Comment

Got a lot of respect for these boys:

Comment

I'm azeri and I have never heard anybody in Tabriz talking about any separation.. Everybody knows that azeri's have been victims of racist actions in a long time, especially in football. But separatism isn't a thing in Iran and can't be compared to Catalonia. Iranians are united and have a lot of national pride. Hopefully IFF will punish any kind of racist actions in our football and that Navad will cover these problems. Also I have been told that many of the separatists in the Yadegar Emam are fans from Baku who are trying to influence the situation by making banners etc. Don't put too much thought in it.. We are all iranians and we are all proud to have such a multicultural nation with so many different ethnicities..
              Team Melli - Traxtor - Barcelona

Comment

I'm from Tabriz, lived there for most of my life. I used to go to Tractor's games back when I was a kid with my uncle, and it was really fun. In my time in the stadiums I never heard any separatist chants, just normal rivalry things.
                However after the Sahand stadium is built a new wave of fans have emerged. I have yet to experience it in person but surely they are some of those with a separatist agenda. But they are just small minority if you look at Azeris in general. We are proud of our Azeri heritage and culture but we are as Iranian as any other ethnic group. So my advice is not to worry about these guys, they're a small minority which sometimes make a lot of noise, but in the end they shut up and disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by AranTZ View Post
                  I'm azeri and I have never heard anybody in Tabriz talking about any separation.. Everybody knows that azeri's have been victims of racist actions in a long time, especially in football. But separatism isn't a thing in Iran and can't be compared to Catalonia. Iranians are united and have a lot of national pride. Hopefully IFF will punish any kind of racist actions in our football and that Navad will cover these problems. Also I have been told that many of the separatists in the Yadegar Emam are fans from Baku who are trying to influence the situation by making banners etc. Don't put too much thought in it.. We are all iranians and we are all proud to have such a multicultural nation with so many different ethnicities..
                  But Khamenei number 1 ruler of the country is azeri and also a lot high ranking members in politics and the army are azeris, so even if there is discrimination i don't think its that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamim View Post
                    But Khamenei number 1 ruler of the country is azeri and also a lot high ranking members in politics and the army are azeris, so even if there is discrimination i don't think its that bad.
                    That's like saying African-Americans aren't discriminated against because Obama is president.

But I wouldn't call it discrimination, it's more like poking fun. In the list of groups discriminated against in Iran, Azaris are not very high. But that said, many still feel that there is language discrimination against them. Same could be said for any other non-Persian speaking group in Iran.
                    راه یکی است و آن راستی است

Comment

Working...
                    X