Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Do we train at penalties and are we ready for a PSO scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Do we train at penalties and are we ready for a PSO scenario?

This just popped into my mind. Really, do we actually train at penalties? For instance, we have a HUGE chance to get into penalties after extra time and Iran is let's say horrible at taking penalties. We have the penalty-syndrome, remember Asian Cup 2004 against China and 2007 against Korea Republic?

I hope our team and staff are well prepared on this part. Given our defensive approach, I wouldn't be surprised if we will head into extra time during the Quarter Finals (again).

What's your point of view on this and who should be the penalty takers?

In chronological order for me:

1.Javad Nekounam (Has the most experience and always takes penalties quite well)
    2.Andranik Teymourian (Cool headed, I'm sure he knows how to handle the pressure and has a good shot)
    3.Alireza Jahanbakhsh (Although it's risky since he is very young, I believe he is an ideal penalty taker simply looking at his qualities)
    4.Ehsan Hajsafi (Utility player, useful for many scenario's)
    5.Ashkan Dejagah (Technically gifted, has a killer shot)

Let's hope CQ drills in their mind that they need to take a penalty in a regular way and not screw up pulling a Golmohammadi or Madanchi.

Over 10 years have passed and I still can't believe that Golmohammadi decided to chip his penalty kick. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by K. Nader View Post
      Over 10 years have passed and I still can't believe that Golmohammadi decided to chip his penalty kick. LOL
      If he took it properly, most likely we would have been Asian Cup 2004 Champions. That was really our year to win it all.

Comment

Well, first let's make it out of the group, lol.
        That being said, I would go:
        1) Nekounam
        2) Ghoochannejhad
        3) Dejagah
        4) Hajsafi
        5) Teymourian

Comment

They need to practice PK's everyday; just one day before the quarter or semi final, should Iran get there, is not enough. The goalkeepers too are critically important in the outcome. Reminds me of Japan in Asian Cup 2004, whose GK rescued the team from a loss to Jordan.

Also the guys should practice a few extreme scenarios, such as what will happen if they get scored on in minute 95 and the match goes into extra time. Basically how to mentally come back from a big downfall and still perform. It all can and should get better with practice.
          sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Since 1976, we have missed at least 4 potential Asian cup titles due to our terrible penalty taking. Specially in 1996 and 2004 when our team was by far the deserving champion of the tournament. My choices would be:

Nekunam
            Hajsafi
            Gucci
            Shojaei/Azmoun
            Dejagah

Comment

sigpic

Zendeh bad IRAN
              >-----------------<
              Marg bar dictator
              >-----------------<

Comment

I am sure CQ will prepare the team for PSO.

But we are Iran. Similar to England. I have no hope for us to advance in a PSO. If we go to a PSO, we've already lost in my mind.

Comment

Ok, there is merit in what you have said but as an underlying reason the outcome was because Sattar Zare' was NOT REHEARSED enough by the coaches. Hence he committed that very childish act and allowed the ref to favor the host by ejecting the team's left-back and put us on defensive afterwards.

Playing a soccer match is like sending a space shuttle into orbit. Have to run a checklist and make sure everything is taken care of. I truly think Iranians are in general lethargic and do not work hard. This is complete opposite to Japan, and that tells you why they have won this tournament 3 out of the last 4 times.

sigpic

Comment

The boys should be practicing pk's at the end of every practice ! That's the usual for more practices .
                    The keeps also go through it as it is their daily routine with the keeper coach Mr. Gasper.

Comment

if he chipped it down the middle it would have gone in, but he chipped it to the left of the keeper exactly the side he dove

Comment

Iran and England have got to be the worst nations I've seen when it comes to penalty shoot-outs. I've just come to terms with the fact that if a match does go into a penalty shoot-out, we're probably going to be eliminated.

Comment

Iran and England have got to be the worst nations I've seen when it comes to penalty shoot-outs. I've just come to terms with the fact that if a match does go into a penalty shoot-out, we're probably going to be eliminated.
                          Well we did win a couple of games on PKs: 3rd place in the 1988 Asian Championship and 1st place in the 1990 Asian Games.
                          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                            Well we did win a couple of games on PKs: 3rd place in the 1988 Asian Championship and 1st place in the 1990 Asian Games.
                            We also beat China in the Asian Games in 2006, where Borhani took the ball to the line and rolled it in.

I'm much more confident for penalties this time around because for the first time in 18 years we have an intimidating goalkeeper. Haghighi walking up to his opponent is enough to shake the guys nerves.

Comment

Mobali was very unlucky... If he had hit the ball one inch lower, it would have made a great PK goal. Psychology plays a large part in a lot of what unfolds in reality. Even secret negative thinking can change the course of events. P.S. Daie's spot kick was pure class.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X