Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Keeping Queiroz was vital for Iran" - Dejagah

"Football - INTERVIEW-Keeping Queiroz was vital for Iran - Dejagah

Retaining master coach Carlos Queiroz was not only a boon for Iran's national soccer team but a coup for the game in the Middle Eastern nation, according to midfielder Ashkan Dejagah.

Former Portugal and Real Madrid manager Queiroz will guide his under-prepared but highly fancied side into the Asian Cup finals in Australia, seeking to harness the team spirit that won admiration at the World Cup last year.

Getting Queiroz to commit was tortuous, with the coach declaring his relationship with Iranian soccer authorities a "one-sided marriage" when he announced he would step down after the tournament in Brazil.

In September, he put pen to paper to the applause of most Iranian soccer fans and declared his team had hopes of winning "a medal" at the Asian Cup.

"It was really, really important he re-signed," Dejagah, one of the team's highest-profile players, told Reuters in an interview before training in Melbourne.

"Not just for us but really important for the country as well, for the young players because he is a really good coach and I think he can help the team a lot.

"We had the whole world (watching) at the World Cup and we have a good spirit together. Carlos knows what to do.

"He's worked for a lot of big teams, he's worked with stars. So I'm really proud to be a player for him.

"I think it's the same with the other players, I think we can learn a lot from him and will continue to."

LACK OF FRIENDLIES

The 61-year-old Queiroz has worked with Iran since 2011, turning an outfit short of world class talent into a highly disciplined, defensive unit that held Argentina at the World Cup until an outstanding stoppage time winner by Lionel Messi.

The delay in his signing cramped Iran's preparations, which have also suffered from a lack of friendly matches in the lead-up to the tournament where they will play Group C opponents Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.

In a regime pressured by political and economic sanctions, Iranian authorities have struggled to find willing opponents for a team who have played just two matches, a 1-0 win over South Korea and Sunday's 1-0 warmup victory over Gulf neighbours Iraq.

Other Asian Cup finalists have played six friendlies.

Queiroz lamented in an interview with Australia's SBS broadcaster on Tuesday that his team, the highest-ranked in the tournament at 51 in the world, was the worst prepared of all the finalists.

Dejagah, 28, who switched from English Championship side Fulham to play in Qatar last year, said it was no exaggeration.

"We've played just one friendly game to now," he said. "This is very important to the teams to have friendly games and have good camps. I don't know. I was also surprised. Why just one friendly game, but it's like that.

"If you see the other teams like Qatar, Emirates, they've had a lot of friendly games, I think 16 or something. But the team is ready, we work hard.""

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...0306--sow.html

We have a poor preparation because our country is run by poor people. Not educated capable managers. This is the reality in Iran today and people need to stop complaining.

Jomhuri Eslami- We got got what we asked for!

Comment

I have been watching professional sports my entire life and it is so, so rare for players to heap praise on a coach like this. Especially in international football, where players only have contact with the coach 3-4 times a year at most.

If you ever needed proof from someone "in the know" as to CQ's quality, look to Ashkan's statements. Ashkan has no reason to suck up to CQ - he's a fixed starter and our best player. But he, along with Gucci, Shojaei, and anyone else who has played under him and given an unbiased opinion, PRAISES the man.

And to think - our own resident PFDC "experts" constantly berate the man

We Iranians truly have a "know it all" disease.

Comment

Ashkan's just sucking up because he knows he has CQ to thank for everything. Any other coach would have made the sensible decision to call up Lionel Khalatbari to both the World Cup and this tournament and start him ahead of Dejagah.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
          Ashkan's just sucking up because he knows he has CQ to thank for everything. Any other coach would have made the sensible decision to call up Lionel Khalatbari to both the World Cup and this tournament and start him ahead of Dejagah.
          lol

maybe if CQ woke up as GN one morning..!!

Comment

Well said by him CQ is a great coach. Also with all the youngsters he is inviting he is helping build our future TM now as well. I hope he stays for a long time.
            --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
            --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
            ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
            --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
            ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Karimi 8 View Post
              I hope he stays for a long time.
              No way! He's too timid for our jogo bonito style as seen every week in IPL. If it wasn't for this coward we would have beaten Argentina 3-0 by losing to them 6-0.

It's a proven fact: unless your defense looks like swiss cheese and your coach is on the sideline yelling "bacheha hamleeehhhhhh!!!", then you're not attacking enough. Plus he hates our players and thinks they're complete crap. I even heard him say "iran very very bad. i hope iran lose. i hope qatar win world cup." Those were his exact words.

Comment

Originally posted by xerexes View Post
                No way! He's too timid for our jogo bonito style as seen every week in IPL. If it wasn't for this coward we would have beaten Argentina 3-0 by losing to them 6-0.

It's a proven fact: unless your defense looks like swiss cheese and your coach is on the sideline yelling "bacheha hamleeehhhhhh!!!", then you're not attacking enough. Plus he hates our players and thinks they're complete crap. I even heard him say "iran very very bad. i hope iran lose. i hope qatar win world cup." Those were his exact words.
                LOL
                --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Just some names Carlos Quieroz has coached (as headcoach!):
                  Casillas, Roberto Carlos, Fernando Hierro, Beckham, Figo, Zidane, Raul, Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani, Pepe, Joao Moutinho, ....... This man was the head coach of Portugese NT and probably the most "star studded" club team in history of football!!
                  Yet some really think hes not good enough for Iran i dont even know if thats funny or sad haha
                  We should be so happy to have him, hes the best thing that could ever happen to our football as long as IR is in power.

Comment

Just to remind some people who OUR coach is.

Comment

Working...
                    X