Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POST-MATCH DISCUSSION | vs. Qatar - Asian Cup 2015

Originally posted by YeCheesi Tala View Post
    Ik I shouldnt be asking this here. But this is just for my reference do last names ending with -ian indicate armenian root? My parents dont know jack about this stuff -_-
    Yes you can ask here of course. And yes, the ending, especially in Iran indicates a lot.
    -ian is referred to Armenian (not always but most)
    -nezhad is referred to jewish/kalami (some say also Kurdish)
    There are a lot more, maybe others can help here.
    IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Re: POST-MATCH DISCUSSION | vs. Qatar - Asian Cup 2015

Originally posted by YeCheesi Tala View Post
      Ik I shouldnt be asking this here. But this is just for my reference do last names ending with -ian indicate armenian root? My parents dont know jack about this stuff -_-
      No, it is a farsi ending which Armenians use because it is very similar to their "Yan". We say Teymourian but it is really Teymouryan. Ian as far as I'm concerned means family of or people of whatever precedes it. I am not Armenian and I have Ian. So it's a similar sound but the Armenian ending emphasizes the Y sound and not the i as much.
      It is more important to look at what precedes it to get the origin. Look for Armenian sounding things like vartanian, derderian, haroutonian, mikoyan, etc etc

Nezhad is popular with kalimi but I've met people from literally everywhere with that ending from Iran. .
      Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
      Last edited by KeonKish; 01-17-2015, 09:32 PM.
      AKP Parti, Turkiye - Haj Bernie Sandersoglu

Comment

Working...
      X