Penalty Takers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
    So with that in mind, best shooter first or last?
    I prefer them first. Set the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tehranto View Post
      I prefer them first. Set the tone.
      Yes my sentiments exactly. I am just wondering then why do so many coaches go with "unproven" PK takers first and hide their aces till the end? Unless an injury is taking place, this logic makes no sense. When we got to PKs in the Iraq match, I turned to my friend and made a bet with him that Nekounam would not shoot first...the only positive from that match was wining the $50 bet I made and it's almost always a sure deal no matter what level and what team, coaches seem to feel saving the best for last is a smart move. One could argue had Neku gone first and scored (and the Iraqi missed right after) the result may have been way different. Probably would not be seeing Younes Mahmood try that shot again near the end.
      Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Fair enough, but who has been our most consistent PK taker over the years? Who takes in game PK where the pressure one might argue is even higher than shooting out of 5? Chances of Nekounam missing are significantly less than Hajsafi given how much experience Nekounam has taking critical TM PKs? I guess you can look at it either way, but i would rather give Nekounam the first PK rather than pray we have a 5th and he gets a shot at taking one...
        This was the first time that Hajsafi missed a penalty. I thought Neku was going to take the first penalty and was a bit surprised when I saw Hajsafi.

I was more disappointed with Vahidi's choice than Hajsafi to be honest.

Comment

Anyone know why Gucci didn't take a penalty? Was he injured? I honestly thought he would be 2nd or 3rd taker. It was weird to see 8 penalties , and not one was taken by our striker.
          I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

Originally posted by HuSsAiN View Post
            Anyone know why Gucci didn't take a penalty? Was he injured? I honestly thought he would be 2nd or 3rd taker. It was weird to see 8 penalties , and not one was taken by our striker.
            I was wondering the same thing, he is such a calm player I was very surprised he was not taking a penalty. Also with the accurate shot that he has, maybe something was going on.
            --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
            --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
            ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
            --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
            ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

I have a tactical questions...please do not take this as a criticism of anyone. As a youth coach myself, I always prefer to have my strongest PK or players take the first penalty or penalties. I always feel that if we start with a bang and score our first 2 or 3 that puts immense pressure on the opponent, and if they have missed any initially, relieves the pressure on us. Am I wrong about this? I have noticed as in the Iraq match, Nekounam did not shoot first. If Nekounam had shot first, would the pressure have been upped on the Iraqi team as opposed to Hajsafi's miss?

The other point to this discussion is purely strategic, in that if you leave your best taker to shoot last, he/she may not even get a chance to shoot if you have already missed enough to lose within the first 5 kickers...anybody have any thoughts on this? Am I missing something other coaches seem to see?

Ill be honest, the 2 youth teams I have coached in years past only went to PK's 4 times in 6 years, and we never lost one on PK. Granted this is youth level (U-17) and nothing nearly on the scale of national teams.
              you are absolutely right. the first penalty is the most important followed closely by the last.the two best penalty takers should be taking them. imo nekounamm should ve gone first, what was odd was he wasnt even last he went in the middle if i am not mistaking. hajsafi penalty was real poor and careless he took it like he did not care. for me hajsafi played good the first game but after that was quite poor in the other games.

Comment

Our first penalty taker was Hajsafie who has been playing for TM for so many years and is very well experienced. But in my surprise those Iraqi players did very well with their penalties. It seems to me mentally they were very well prepared because they did not think they will get this far. They got a big gift and took full advantage of it.

Comment

Gucci should of took one instead of Amiri... I have no idea why he didn't. Maybe was too nervous?

Comment

^if amiri had scored, the next one would have been gucci most probably anyways cos only gucci and haghighi were left who hadnt taken a penalty yet at that point
                    Originally posted by siavasharian
                    ESTEGHLAL:

بهترین خط دفاع.بهترین خط حمله.ثبت رکورد بیشترین گل زده.پر امتیاز ترین تیم ادوار لیگ برتر با ۴۰۹ امتیاز.پر افتخار ترین مربی لیگ برتر با دو قهرمانی
                    بهترین گلزن لیگ: آرش برهانی [استقلال] با ۲۱ گل زدهبهترین خط حمله: استقلال تهران با ۷۰ گل زده

Comment

We were two penalties away from a coin toss. This one really came down to our luck or lack there of.
                      .... At the end I am nothing other than ordinary

Comment

I think some people read too much into penalties. I hope you all realize that it's a lottery and as much as we like to think there's some 'rhyme or reason' behind it, there really isn't.

Obviously if you think about it so 'technically', then the only thing that matters is who is taking the 1st and 5th penalty.

I thought Iran took some great penalties - as a matter of fact better than Japan who have the "European" experience. Both Honda and Kagawa missed.

Comment

Originally posted by HuSsAiN View Post
                          According to Vahid, It was between him and Gucci ad when Gucci "did not" take it it was up to him then

Comment

The problem is not always the skill but the tired legs.
                            When you play 120 minutes or most of it with only 10 players your legs work on their own. They are almost half numb.
                            Hajsafi really missed it badly due to pressure...
                            The losses in the past also were due to playing 120 minutes and mostly with 10 men agaaist 11.
                            The Aussie lousy ref did multi-fold damages

Comment

Working...
                            X