Iran should play more friendlies with Asian Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran should play more friendlies with Asian Teams

I don't know why we are always after playing a friendly with a top European or South American team when there is plenty to choose from in our own Federation.

Playing teams like UAE, Qatar, Iraq, Saudi, Uzbekistan, Australia, China, S/N Korea, and Japan are not only good friendlies, but also beneficial to us in a long run as we learn more about these teams and get better tactically against them. I believe, our number one goal should be to conquer Asia again before setting eye on anything else. Do you know how long has it been since we played Japan? What happens if we have to play against them in a WC qualifying game!

If I were the Iranian federation, I would have arranged for a friendly against Australia in Sydney in near future. ....... A 'final that never happened', if you will or just a good test against a strong team, as good as any European.

..... and can you imagine what a win will do to our image in Asia.

I agree with everything except Qatar, Iraq, Saudi. These teams are nothing special and will only ruin our momentum. On many occasions in the last ten years Saudi has requested a friendly with us. Whenever we played those games, our momentum went down. I would play any team besides the Arab ones. If our youngsters play and hold their own against Chile/Sweden/Ghana/Mali/Bosnia etc. They will not be fearful of Arab teams and go to win every time.

Comment

When we don't get decent friendly with good teams people complain, when we get decent friendlies with good teams people complain. We just can't please everyone :-)

I agree Kavian jan that it is a good idea to play friendlies with decent asian teams too but we just came back from AFC and we played a few of them too. So probably before the world cup qualification starts again we can.

Comment

Was the last time we played Japan in 2004?
        --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
        --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
        ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
        --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
        ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Iran is also planing to play Italy,Spain,Japan and New Zeland in 2015
          according to farsnews

Comment

No more arab teams I am hoping. The only possible exception would be UAE because they play good football. However even they would probably cause us a headache (and not for footballing reasons).

If we must stay in Asia, keep the friendlies with non arab teams. Too much side drama. Only play them when absolutely required, like WCQ, ACQ, etc..

Japan, Korea, Australia, Uzbeks, China are good enough. And if we want to warm up with "smaller" teams, then play Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, North Korea, etc...
            No more Palestine, Lebanon, Qatar, Bahrain, Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by Karimi 8 View Post
              Was the last time we played Japan in 2004?
              Aug 2005. WCQ

Comment

First of all, are Australia and Japan interested in a friendly with Iran when they can play decent non-Asian teams?

Comment

Iran plays Asian teams all the time. Infact last two friendlies were against Asian opponents South Korea and Iraq.

Friendly with Japan and Australia would be nice since Team Melli hasn't played them for a very long time. Friendly with OFC member New Zealand would be good too.
                  Team Melli vs Australia in Sydney/Melbourne and vs New Zealand in Auckland/Wellington. Team Melli vs Japan in Azadi/Fooladshahr/Samen.

As for testing players for Team Melli, I'll say yay to friendly matches versus China, Oman, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan.

Overall I think Team melli should play more with European and Latin American teams.

Comment

we have more to lose than to win playing these teams,x because they will learn faster and better about us, it is not only we can learn, but also they will learn, and to be honest these countries have more program and spy option and study option compared to us..
                    World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper
                    sigpic

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
                    If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
                    -

Comment

I would love to see more games against African Teams, they are fast and they're physically better than us. TM can improve against them.
                      Games like Iran - Algeria, Iran - Ghana would be great.
                      Or Iran vs Egypt
                      Kɑmboujie vs Psamtik
                      Imagine the publicity
                      Attached Files

Comment

The point I was also trying to highlight was the fact that our federation does not seem to have a right strategy.

IFF is putting too much emphasis on reaching the world cup and achieving nothing, and forgetting that we are failing at all levels in Asia. Youth, adult, clubs, even at Asian games we were knocked out in group stage.

My suggestion to play more friendlies against Asian teams is aligned with the fact that we need to have a strategy for Asia. We need to win Asia again! World cup should be secondary. Actually that strategy will automatically puts us in a better position to get better results in World Cup.

IFF would need to pursue hosting of the next Asian Cup seriously. This could really be the break point we need, an opportunity to build some decent stadiums - Stadiums that can be given/sold to IPL clubs after and in general promote football and bring a level of professionalism to Iran. This is more important than spending money on anything else in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                        X