Interview with the New York Cosmos's Iranian Assistant Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as club loyalty he seems to be following in his father's footsteps.

http://www.thefivepointspress.com/ne...e-points-press

While the New York Cosmos front office has been hard at work making new player announcements and other exciting off season news, January has been a month of rest for the players and coaches. Being a New Yorker all year round, we were able to sit down with Eskandarian to hear his thoughts on current hot topics, his experiences this past season, and his hopes for the season that they are about to embark on.

This wasn't just a regular interview however. I would like to think of this as an exclusive one on one "Ask Esky" session! For those that may not know, Eskandarian has an "Ask Esky" session from time to time with his followers on twitter. This time around the only one asking the questions was me! I thoroughly enjoyed Eskandarian's passion in his answers. The Cosmos are fortunate to have Eskandarian as a coach as his passion has been built over years from his days watching his dad on the Cosmos to his playing time in MLS.

FPP: You are the assistant coach of the NY Cosmos and at a very young age at that. How did you end up here assisting Gio Savarese?

Esky: Well I obviously was forced to end my career at the age of 27 due to concussions and then transitioned into coaching. After gaining experience as the youth technical director and assistant coach of the Philadelphia Union, I grew a passion for coaching. Gio approached me in the winter of 2012 about the rebirth of the Cosmos and it was immediately evident that this was something I needed to be a part of. I have known Gio for a long time and have always had the utmost respect for him as a person and a professional.

FPP:You were the MLS first round draft pick back in the 2003 super draft, do you think NASL needs a draft system in place?

Esky:No. I think players should be free to sign for whatever team they want. It is important for young players to have the freedom to choose what the best situation is for them and their development. If a young talent is drafted or placed in the wrong environment, it could easily destroy their career.

FPP: Some may not know that your dad played for the Cosmos back in the 80's, what does he think of Cosmos 2.0?

Esky:He loves that the Cosmos are back. He comes to every home game and wears all the gear I pass down to him. It's really special for my entire family to be part of the Cosmos family once again, because this club means so much to us.

FPP:2013 winning soccer bowl- describe the feeling of that day for me?

Esky:Most people have NO IDEA how hard we worked behind the scenes to assemble that team in a short period of time. Everyone from top to bottom came together to create a championship team, and of course all credit to our players for performing under pressure. I am so proud to have coached that group of players. A special, special group. They truly deserved everything they achieved and more.

FPP: 2014 losing to the Union in open cup- describe the feeling of that day for me?

Esky: Heartbroken. Soccer can be a funny game sometimes. There were a lot of things that occurred in that match that were out of our control which seemed to affect the outcome, but I'd rather focus on growing from the mistakes we made during the match that could have prevented us from being in that position. I said before the game that whoever won that match would go on to the Open Cup final and sure enough that was the case. Would have loved to have that opportunity. But we learn from it and move on.

FPP :The Cosmos had high expectations in 2014 after winning Soccer Bowl- why didn't it pan out that way?

Esky: I think we put ourselves in a great position to win it all again, with some good additions to the squad. We had a successful Spring, but in many ways it was misleading because as coaches we were not happy with the performances. I don't think it resonated with the players though because we were winning and only conceded 3 goals in 12 games. However on video, our coaching staff noticed way too many mistakes. Then after the Open Cup loss, you could tell the mood around the team was not the same. We simply did not cope well with the heartbreak and it spilled over into the Fall. We lost some key players to injury and could never field a consistent starting 11. I don't think we played with the same 11 two games in a row all season, which is insane. And at the end of the day, we simply didn't deserve to win. No excuses. We discussed internally many of the things that need to be better and our players received a harsh reality check to never take anything for granted.

FPP: When you look at the schedule, what opponent worries you in 2015?

Esky: I respect all our opponents and their coaching staffs. They have done a great job strengthening their teams. But nobody worries me. Only team I am concerned with is us. And if we put the work in to reach our maximum potential, I feel confident we will all be happy with the results.

FPP: The club has been waiting forever on a decision regarding Belmont, do you or the members of the team ever express frustration with the wait?

Esky: Of course we all dream of playing in a true soccer stadium in front of our great fans. This is something we all want and I know our front office is doing everything they can to make this dream a reality.

FPP: Prior to opening day Erik Stover asks you to pick a person to invite as an special guest of the Cosmos for opening day, besides Pele, who do you suggest?

Esky: I'd have 2 special guests. My Dad and Hubert Birkenmeier. I think it's gone a bit unnoticed that for all these years that the Cosmos had been defunct, my father and Hubert never stopped carrying the torch and representing the Cosmos in this area. Of course there were some big names who played for the Cosmos, but these two came from different countries and not only were legendary players for the Cosmos, but they also embraced the NY/NJ area as home. Growing up with both of them, I learned first hand what the Cosmos meant to fans in this area who would stop by my Dad's soccer shop to get an autograph, take a picture, or talk soccer. I watched Tony Meola, Tab Ramos, John Harkes, etc talk about how much they were inspired by them. They took soccer in this area to a new level, and didn't leave when they weren't obligated to stay. To me, they embody everything that was so great about the Cosmos of the past because they embraced their roles in the community to help soccer grow. They are true pioneers and heroes, and would undoubtedly be my guests before anyone else.

FPP: We hear Gio and we see Gio before matches, during matches and after matches. Describe a gameday for Alecko Eskandarian.

Esky: Nothing compares to GAMEDAY for me! I have my own routine which is similar to that which I kept when I was a player. Other than that I'm usually on the phone with Gio all day going over our opponent and organizing all our set pieces, so we are set when we get to the stadium. I am usually pretty hyped and energetic because I want our players to project their best. My secret weapon is Sofia Sanchez, who surprises me with a batch of candy pregame that fuels me up. After the games, I am drained. I live in West Village so it's usually a long drive or train ride home, and I'm asleep as soon as I step in the door of my apartment. But of course there are always those frustrating games that I just have to watch again as soon as I get home because I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise. Always looking to analyze myself as a coach to improve.

FPP: If you weren't in soccer today, what would you be doing with your life?

Esky: I'm not totally sure. I have many different passions, but none more so than soccer. But if I had to pick a different route I'd probably be in finance or a lawyer. I do love writing as well, so maybe even an author or journalist.

FPP: You're on the LIRR and hear an RBNY fan complaining about their team to an NYCFC fan who is also complaining about their team- why does Alecko Eskadarian do/say?

Esky: Good luck.

FPP: Aside from what Gio and the front office have told you, what would you say are the club's goals for 2015?

Esky: The same as every year. To represent the club and its fans in the best way possible on and off the field.

FPP: If you ever get another red card and have to sit out the next match - you now have an open invite to a 5 points tailgate- what do you want us to cook you up?

Esky: Thank you for the invite! I'll eat whatever you put in front of me. And I'll make sure to bring you guys a few cases of beer in return.

FPP: Thanks for your time Alecko, any message for the 5 points?

Esky: THANK YOU for sticking with us in great times and bad. And trust me when I say our organization and staff consists of truly remarkable people who have done an excellent job. Continue to believe in us and we will share many successful years together in the future.

Aside from putting in hard work as the assistant coach of the Cosmos, Eskandarian also has several humanitarian efforts. He has devoted a lot of his time and efforts to the Nicole Megaloudis Foundation , a foundation that raises money to fund college scholarships for students that display excellent leadership skills and have financial need. The scholarship fund was set up in honor of Nicole Megaloudis who was a soccer player on Virginia Commonwealth University's women's soccer team. Nicole left us too soon as she died in a car accident in February 2004. Last year Eskandarian also started working with the Leukumia Lymphonia Society to raise money for cancer awareness when he was nominated for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Man of the Year Campaign. His work against cancer has taken on personal meaning as Eskandarian lost a close friend to cancer in 2014. As Eskandarian continue his efforts, make sure to support him in the future when the time comes!
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

"...with New York Cosmo's Iranian Assistant Coach." Is he really Iranian though? http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...ian&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Doroudi View Post
      "...with New York Cosmo's Iranian Assistant Coach." Is he really Iranian though? http://www.persianfootball.com/forum...ian&highlight=
      He is. He has Iranian blood.
      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
        He is. He has Iranian blood.
        Too bad he refuses to accept it!

Comment

Originally posted by Doroudi View Post
          Too bad he refuses to accept it!
          His denial doesn't change his blood.

Comment

I can't take this guy seriously after he went on the kardashians and got rejected by kim. to make it worse he failed to mention his iranian heritage and referred to himself as a Armenian! lawl

Comment

move to international forum. he is not iranian. he said it many times.
              IRI = FAILED

Comment

Originally posted by persian-eagle-13 View Post
                move to international forum. he is not iranian. he said it many times.
                He is. It doesn't matter what he says. He has Iranian blood.

Comment

Saw who it was, decided to not waste my time reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pouya View Post
                    I can't take this guy seriously after he went on the kardashians and got rejected by kim. to make it worse he failed to mention his iranian heritage and referred to himself as a Armenian! lawl
                    He did us a favor!
                    Although all that shit is scripted anyway. You think any man in his right mind would actually want to be with Kardashian?

Comment

I like you KC, but let's keep this forum free of non-patriotic Iranians.

This is a patriotic Iranian :

Karo Haghverdian

Ando

not some wannabe who disrespect his ancestors.

Comment

Lets not forget Markar AghajanianImageUploadedByTapatalk1424052196.903690.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                          I like you KC, but let's keep this forum free of non-patriotic Iranians.

This is a patriotic Iranian :

Karo Haghverdian

Ando

not some wannabe who disrespect his ancestors.
                          Respect or lack thereof has nothing to do with nationality.

Comment

Who?

Comment

Originally posted by clipsport View Post
                              Who?
                              Some nobody

Comment

Working...
                              X