TM in transition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TM in transition?

CQ knows better than anyone that friendly games are few and far between for TM. With 2 coming up against better opposition, we should get a good idea of his plans for the second round of WC 2018 qualifying. It's likely he'll stick with a familiar squad but in the event he drops some senior players for relative unknowns, would it really be a bad thing?

Nekounam is retiring and will definitely feature in at least one of those games but there are other players on the fringes of retirement who may prove useful in qualifying but will undoubtedly be too old to take to Russia, if we qualify.

From our current squad these are the over 30s, their age on June 14th 2018 in brackets:
    Jalal Hosseini (36)
    Amir Hossein Sadeghi (36)
    Khosro Heydari (34)
    Javad Nekounam (37) - retiring
    Masoud Shojaei (34)
    Andranik Teymourian (35)

*Combined total of 463 caps and counting

There are already names in the current squad who can replace any outgoing players from above and a few in reserves - Khalilizadeh, Ali Rahmani, Karimi, Mosalman, Sharifi, etc - but equally there are also other recent call ups we should now look to phase out of selection consideration (2018 ages in brackets):

Rahman Ahmadi (37)
    Hashem Beikzadeh (34)
    Pejman Montazeri (34)
    Ahmad Alenemeh (35)
    Iman Mobali (35)
    Mohammad Nouri (35)
    Habib Gordani (35)
    Mohammad Reza Khalatbari (34)
    Ghasem Haddadifar (34)
    Reza Nouri (35)

The dilemma for CQ must surely be; do I stick with what I have for now, slowly introduce players over the next few years and in all likelihood end up taking several inexperienced players to the World Cup OR do I revamp the squad now, weakening the talent pool somewhat in the short-term and at greater risk of qualification, but with the intention of having a more balanced squad of experienced (30+ caps) players.

Realistically, I'd like CQ to keep hold of Hosseini and Ando for as long as they can do the job but scrap the others above straight away (barring any emergencies) with a view to building the team around the following:

Alireza Haghighi, 14 caps
    Morteza Pouraliganji, 5 caps
    Mehrdad Pooladi, 28 caps
    Ehsan Hajsafi, 69 caps
    Alireza Jahanbakhsh, 15 caps
    Ashkan Dejagah, 23 caps
    Reza Ghoochannejhad, 23 caps
    Sardar Azmoun, 8 caps

With World Cup and Asian Cup qualifying combined, there will be 20 qualifiers plus whatever friendlies we can muster between now and summer 2018 to blood a squad for Russia.

On a side note; CQ also needs to address an issue which hasn't really been discussed on here. I've seen a lot of threads discussing our midfield, PAG being the natural replacement for Nekounam and calls for Ebrahimi to have greater involvement... but there is a real dearth of Central Defenders in our squad of late.

Hosseini isn't going to be around much longer, PAG is playing there out of position and in favour of Sadeghi (so his days must be numbered). We only took 2 recognised CBs to Australia, 3 if you count Khanzadeh. With the exception of Khalilzadeh, there isn't much to be excited about in reserve. Perhaps CQ will continue playing PAG there as we have far more promising talent in the midfield than in defense.

Thoughts?

Here is a transition: CQ out, Faraki in.
    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Amin Haj-Mohammadi is going to be our main CB in Russia. Please quote me in 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ZandiJoon View Post
        Amin Haj-Mohammadi is going to be our main CB in Russia. Please quote me in 3 years.
        thank you!

I've been wanting to see him get a call up for a year or so now, hopefully he will get a chance now that Hosseini and sadeghi are likely out of the picture.
        Team Meli Iran
        Perspolis FC
        Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

I am not one for guarantees (when CQ first arrived we thought Arash Afshin was a lock to make the WC..though not entirely his fault that he didn't).

But if nothing goes wrong, all signs point to AHM being one of our main centre backs eventually.

Comment

I think CQ always finds a good mix of experience and young blood. The asia cup he proved he truly believes in our youngsters, or in fact any player that shows his potential gets playing time under CQ (Ghafouri). From that list like you I would like to see Ando for sure, although in the recent years he has had ups and downs in fitness (prior to tournaments, some how he is always in shape when everything kicks off) I think he for sure has to do his best to stay around, with Nekounam leaving we cannot find a replacement for both of these players. Hosseini from my memory has yet to have a poor game under team melli especially in last couple of years, I believe there is a possibility that he can stay if he really keeps his fitness up and stays injury free, he is the foundation of our defence. But our team is definately in a transition period right now, with most of the legends retired or retiring its time for new players to start showing what they can do. I dont follow our league too intensely but there is some decent young players that can emerge, and there are a couple that have emerged and taken the opportunity to develop in Europe already (Ezatolahi, Azmoun, Jahanbakhsh) + haghighi. I was very impressed with Pouraliganji's performance in AC, I am sure he will be sticking around, and obviouslly Dejagah and Reza will be with the team as well. Other than that I think there is a lot of change coming our way.
            --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
            --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
            ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
            --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
            ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Pouraliganji and Khanzadeh will be our CB pairing in Russia, mark my words, mark my words. But seriously I don't know why you guys bash Khanzadeh so much, he is a good player but he is played out of position to often (in Persepolis and TM) at full back. At CB he is a okay defender, but has good ability with the ball at his feet.

Comment

Montazeri and Hosseini for CB and PAG replaces Nekou if he has to reitre. Ghafouri for RB. Pooladi left back.

Comment

Working...
                X