What is your most favirote WC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by navidpersia View Post
    Even if Iran wasn't in it, world cup 1998 would be by far my favorite. So many legends played and all the top teams were strong. Great tournament.
    Really? I actually would say back in 2006 the top teams were strong. This time Spain, Italy, Portugal, England went out early.

Comment

I know we won a game in 98' but for me nothing will ever come close to holding the eventual finalists and one of the best players we will ever see to a draw till the 92nd minute (and plus we had 2 golden opportunities and 1 penalty)

Comment

What is my most favirote WC ?
        By far, 1970 mexico....with Pelle, ...and the most legendery players in the football history .

Comment

1998 Best because of a win & a great performance against Yugoslavia
          1978 2nd best because it was our 1st time & I was a little boy & the 1970s was Iran's golden years in terms of advancement.
          2006 because I was there in Germany and so many legends played
          2014 dead last because I hate defensive football

Comment

For Iran it has to be 1998 as we beat USA and came close to drawing with Yugoslavia. Also who can forget the way we qualified when playing Australia.

The World Cup I enjoyed most was USA 94. That really was an awesome show with amazing stadiums. I loved Romario and Bebeto fro Brazil, Sweden with Brolin, Dahlin and Anderson had an amazing team and Bulgaria with Stoichkov, Letchkov and Iordanov made it to the semi finals. We also had Hagi for Romania who was a revelation in this tournament.

Brazil was also an amazing World Cup and I have never been as depressed as I was when it finished. (Since then I was more depressed when Iran lost to Iraq) Having a World Cup in Brazil lived up to every expectation in my opinion and the crowds and teams all aided to the amazing spectacle it promised to be.

Comment

For Iran it has to be 1998 as we beat USA and came close to drawing with Yugoslavia. Also who can forget the way we qualified when playing Australia.

The World Cup I enjoyed most was USA 94. That really was an awesome show with amazing stadiums. I loved Romario and Bebeto fro Brazil, Sweden with Brolin, Dahlin and Anderson had an amazing team and Bulgaria with Stoichkov, Letchkov and Iordanov made it to the semi finals. We also had Hagi for Romania who was a revelation in this tournament.

Brazil was also an amazing World Cup and I have never been as depressed as I was when it finished. (Since then I was more depressed when Iran lost to Iraq) Having a World Cup in Brazil lived up to every expectation in my opinion and the crowds and teams all aided to the amazing spectacle it promised to be.

Comment

I voted for 2014 since i was in brazil and it was a great experience seeing our boys play live
                Bookmark the PFDC Calendar for TM & WCQ games
                http://sites.google.com/site/pfdccalendar/
                [Click on a game to see detailed description including time]
                Villa + Messi =

Comment

Originally posted by iiiiiiiran View Post
                  Really? I actually would say back in 2006 the top teams were strong. This time Spain, Italy, Portugal, England went out early.
                  2006 was quite good too. But for me the games of 1998 were more attractive and a lot more legends performed in it. Brazil, France, Holland, Argentina, England, Italy, Spain all performed decent football. The only downside was my favorite teams Iran and Germany didn't play to their potential.

Comment

For once i agree with KC.
                    1998 hands down baba.

Not because of the win vs USA. But the entire qualification aling with the drama on and off the pitch.
                    Just to name some things:

Bagheri being suspended in the qualification for breaking a qatari nose and his first allowed game was the return in game in Melbourne.
                    The dramatic Playoff vs Japan ( i actually cried in that game we lost 3-2 )
                    The Ebrahim Tahami Saga
                    Valdeir Viera as the head coach who i think is the only coach in the world who managed to qualify for a World Cup with no wins lol.
                    The amazing team picture with the US Boys.
                    The downfall of Klinsmann in the eyes of iranian fans when he ripped lamost the net apart after scoring against us.
                    He was very popular for his help and donations after the horroblae earthquake in Bam.
                    The game vs Yugoslavia was so dramatic and narrow ffs and only due a mistake by Nakisa at a freekick we conceded the only goal. That should have been a tie.
                    And of course that run by Mahdavikia to score the 2-0.
                    If Michael Owen didn't score in the England game. Mahdavikia would have been the youngest goal scorer of the tournament.
                    IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Gotta go with 1998! I remember USA was in the top 20 in the world rankings, Yugoslavia in the top 10 and Germany even in the top 3 or so, while Iran got the worst ranking out of all the teams except for some African team (don't remember which one, Nigeria or Cameroon I believe).
                      So no-one thought Iran would have a chance and I remember Mijatovic even saying something like he will score at least a hattrick against us...

So it was great that we beat USA and showed a great display vs. Yugoslavia where we at least deserved a draw (still can't believe Daei missed that header ).
                      Next to that, what makes WC '98 so amazing was the because of the whole road and drama before of the qualification! I still remember the games vs. Australia as if it was yesterday.

I had recorded the games at the WC itself on a video. After I moved out of the house I found them somewhere in a box and you can't believe how happy I was.
                      That night (first night in my own house) I sat and watched all 3 games until the morning.
                      Every once in a while I just grab the video's and re-watch the matches again just for fun and the fact that they're recorded on a video tape makes it even greater to watch lol

Next to Iran, that '98 WC was just amazing as a whole for me!

My favorite player at that time (Zidane) became the hero after being criticized first for stepping on that Saudi player which got him suspended.

Everyone in Holland thought they would kick Yugoslavia's ass after they saw their game against Iran but they were lucky to win that 2nd round match after Yugoslavia missed a pk and then Davids scored an ET goal.

The match Argentina vs. Holland with Orteyga headbutting Van der Sar and with that amazing goal from Bergkamp!

Beckham being red carded against Argentina and then Argentina scoring the equalizer with that great fk goal to take it to PKSO's after which they won 4-3.

The semi-final between Brazil and Holland was amazing too with Kluivert equalizing for Holland and then Taffarel saving all those Dutch pk's.

So many more great memories...

All that being said, the 1994 WC was amzing too with legendary players like Romario, Bebeto, Stoichkov, Hagi, Roberto Baggio, Larsson, Dunga etc. in action!
                      Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ali.Karimi79 View Post
                        For once i agree with KC.
                        1998 hands down baba.
                        How do you know I meant 1998?
                        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

1986... two words: Diego Maradona
                          sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

world cup 1998 was an epic classic for iran IMO.
                            IRI = FAILED

Comment

1998. I will never forget the qualification match against Japan and who could forget the Australia match. I watched that game in the prayer room of my school, and never forget the sheer noise after Azizi scored the second goal. Tehran erupted into a massive celebration after the match. The qualification and the WC games themselves were full of emotions and excitement.

Comment

Obviously 1998.
                                We displayed some of our best tactical and physical footbal I've ever seen from Iran, in that World Cup.
                                We really should have been in the round of 16 that World Cup. The loss against Yugoslavia (a match where we were by far the better side and deserved to win) killed us.
                                And who can forget our first historic win in a World Cup against the Great Satan. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X