World Cup 2018 Qualification Gets Under Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tehranto View Post
    I also dislike both teams very much, but we struggle against them it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Omid177 View Post
      Which minute?
      Can't recall. Some time between 55 and 80 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
        We never struggle against Iraq. Just look at our record against them. We beat them almost everytime. And also Syria was never a real threat for us. We struggle against the likes of Saudi, Jordan and Bahrain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
          Nah bro - we have always owned Iraq. A corrupt Asian game and a useless friendly vs. our domestic team doesn't change it.

---

Syria outperformed Australian in the 2nd half. Australia should be happy with an away goal. But Syria looks dangerous.

Comment

Interesting result....Syria nearly won in the end.

Stats and atmosphere says Australia should cruise to a 2-0 win on Tuesday, but I have a nagging feeling it won't be that easy for them.

Aussies have all the pressure hanging on them, whereas Syria is under no pressure. The crowd in Melbourne wouldn't want their team to sit back and take a 0-0 draw, so Aussies will come out to attack, and can easily be done on the counter.

Last month, Australia needed a mere 2-0 win vs. Thailand at home to qualify for WC, but they were so rushed and stressed under home support that they nearly tied that game !

Comment

Alright these two scrub teams played to a 1-1 draw. Now let's forget about them and turn our attention to the ONLY Asian team that matters! Let's turn our attention to Iran and their match against Togo in a few minutes.

Comment

Aussies will destroy Syria in the return leg... so have patience, if they dont, then Syria deserves to be in WC. Lets be pros and give credit where credit is due!

Comment

In 1997 we tied Australia 1-1 in our first leg too, and miraculously went through after that 2-2 tie in Melbourne.

The way Syria played in the 2nd half, I see a similar doom scenario for Australia and I wouldn't be surprised if the coming 2nd leg would end in a 2-2 as well and the Syrians would go through. If that happens, the Australians will be traumatized for life!
                  Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

Originally posted by eerooni View Post
                    Aussies will destroy Syria in the return leg... so have patience, if they dont, then Syria deserves to be in WC. Lets be pros and give credit where credit is due!
                    Australia didn't "DESTROY" any team even at their home ground even in groups. Granted, they won 4 out of 5, but no destruction whatsoever:

2-0 vs. Iraq & UAE
                    3-2 vs. Soosmars
                    2-1 vs. Thailand
                    1-1 vs. Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Persian-Pride87 View Post
                      The Syrian player did get pushed right before the ball came to him but most refs probably wouldn't give the PK this late in the match. I think it was enough for a PK but in a parctical sense most refs wouldn't give it. So I don't blame faghani for giving it! He had a clear view of it.
                      yea, think the key was that Faghani had a clear view of the foul, normally those small push n nudges go unnoticed by the ref..!!

also i only saw 10-15 minutes of the match all together, but from the comments it seems that Faghani had already not given a would-been pk to syrian's earlier in the game, so usually in such instances Refs tend to make up for their earlier misses with a more vigilance about future fouls in the box..!!

Comment

Originally posted by PayamPersia
                        And what did they do/ or say about our legends?
                        yea
                        whats that all about..?

Comment

Originally posted by Amin_ View Post
                          In 1997 we tied Australia 1-1 in our first leg too, and miraculously went through after that 2-2 tie in Melbourne.

The way Syria played in the 2nd half, I see a similar doom scenario for Australia and I wouldn't be surprised if the coming 2nd leg would end in a 2-2 as well and the Syrians would go through. If that happens, the Australians will be traumatized for life!
                          Very True Amin.

I remember the doom and gloom surrounding TM in 1997 following that 1-1 draw in Tehran. Khodadad equalizing Harry Kewell's opener.

Thinking back, after Aussies went up 2-0 early in second half, I thought we'd be destroyed....but thankfully that idiot showed up to rip up the net, so we could regroup and the rest is history.

Crazy to think it was 20 years ago....

Comment

It will be unbelievable if Syria and USA play each other for the last WC spot.

And it is a reall possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by PayamPersia
                              And what did they do/ or say about our legends?
                              Omar Khrbin posted a disrespectful caricature of himself, Beyranvand and Daei where he was hitting Beyranvand with a whip ("shallagh") after having had scored 3 goals versus PP in the ACL. It was uncalled for, especially since there is still a 2nd leg coming up soon.

I know the chances are slim, but I hope PP beats their asses and by a mircale manages to squeeze through to the finals.
                              Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

WE need to look at both Syria and Australia objectively, Australia IMO are very overrated, they play European football but more like 2nd rate Euro football, they are an aging team, they are slower, they like elnino99 put it, have NOT destroyed any team ( and I stand corrected) and yes they might even lose to Syria much like they did to us on the away goal rule! On the hand Syria is like a caged animal, like a badger that is small in size and gets underestimated but has courage, comes out strong, plays 'never give-up' football for a full 90+ minutes and like they did to us and now with the Aussies, score a crucial goal in min 85+! This is highly commendable, goes to show they really really really want to be in the WC and any team that really really really wants to be in the WC will get there!! Mark my works, this Syria a TOUGH team to beat and to say ' how the hell TM allowed TWO goals to Syria?" is a naive remark. As Syrian team might not have pedigree but they have grit, guts and never say die attitude and in Football that can in the least can get you qualified....

Comment

Working...
                                X