Was this our greatest result ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was this our greatest result ever?

I know this was just a friendly match but was this our greatest match ever resultwise? I mean since i follow our football (1997) we have only played against high caliber teams few times only, and as far as i can remember, lost all...

2 times vs Germany, vs. Brazil, vs. Portugal, vs. Argentina ...
    What do you guys think or am i missing a match?

Carlos Queiroz

When it comes to friendly matches, I'd certainly put this in the top 3

Along with 1 - 1 vs Argentina (1977) and 1 - 0 vs Russia (2011?)

Comment

Noooooooooooooo

Comment

we have defeated chile before

Comment

Iran and Chile have played twice against each other, once in 1972 and another time in 1998. We lost the game in '72 and won the game in '98.

The game in 1972 was held in Brazil. We played against chile in the Brazil independence cup tournament. We lost 2-1. Our goal was scored by Majid Halvaee and both of chile goals were scored by Carlos Caszely.

Our second game against Chile came during the 1998 Carlsberg Cup which was held in Hong Kong. We tied against chile in regular time, our goal was scored by Mahdavikia and chile goal was scored by Manuel Neira. The game went to penalty shoot-out and there Ahmadreza Abedzadeh saved two penalties and scored one himself to give Iran the victory.

Our lineup in '72 : Nasser Hejazi, Mostafa Arab (C), Jafar Kashani, Ebrahim Ashtiani, Majid Halvaee, Akbar Kargar Jam, Mohammad Sadeghi, Parviz Ghelichkhani, Ali Parvin, Alireza Haj Ghasem (Safar Iranpak), Gholam Hossein Mazlomi

In the '72 game we didn't have these famous players with us, Ali Jabari, Karo Haghverdian and Hossein Kalani

Our lineup in '98 : Ahmadreza Abedzadeh (C), Mohmmad Khakpour, Farshad Falahatzadeh, Mehdi Pashazadeh, Reza Rezaie Manesh, Mehrdad Minavand, Naeim Sadavi, Hamid Estili (Dariush Yazdani), Sirous Din Mohamadi (Farhad Majidi), Ali Asghar Modir Rosta (Ali Mousavi), Mehdi Mahdavikia.

and in the second game in '98 we didn't have these players, Ali Daei, Karim Bagheri, Khodad Azizi, Reza Shahroudi, Ali Mansourian and Afshin Peyrovani.

In both game our best players were our goalkeepers, in '72 Naser Hejazi and in '98 Ahmadreza Abedzadeh.

http://www.varzesh3.com/news/?itemid...88%D8%AE%D8%A7

More info on the 1972 Brazil Independence cup : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_Independence_Cup

More info on the 1998 Carlsberg cup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Lunar_New_Year_Cup

Comment

Thanks, but we only won in penalties then.. You guys know that this officially only counts as a tie.
            By the way was that the match where Abedzadeh saved one or two and scored himself?

Comment

We've had some decent results in the past, but this is definitely one of the best ones - certainly the best under CQ.

The last time we beat a top 20 team in the world was the very last game before CQ took over in which we beat Russia 1-0.

The highest ranked team we had beaten under CQ was S. Korea in 2012 in Tehran whose average rank that year was 35 (only team ranked 50 or below until today).

Other than that we only had 4 wins against teams ranked in the top 100 under CQ until today: 2 more against Korea (other than the one above), Trinidad before the WC and UAE in the Asian Cup.

* disclaimer Using average ranking of each team for the year that we played them.

Comment

not the greatest, but surely a great one.

Comment

We beat Brazil in the Olympics 1972

Comment

Originally posted by 04041374 View Post
                    We beat Brazil in the Olympics 1972
                    That was their Olympic team.

Comment

Originally posted by Damavand View Post
                      That was their Olympic team.
                      Which was equal to their A-team. We played with the likes of Parvin, Nazari and Roshan back then until 1992

Comment

Would be nice if more South American teams wanted to play us, maybe Colombia? I mean, we humiliated 2 in a row now..

Comment

it seems like we play good against South Americans.

Argentina we played our best game to date, and lost 1-0 thanks to the ref and messi

Beat chile 2-0

Brazil game we had a couple of years ago, despite the 3-0 loss, was not too bad, if gholamis legitimate goal was not called offside who knows what would have happened
                          Bookmark the PFDC Calendar for TM & WCQ games
                          http://sites.google.com/site/pfdccalendar/
                          [Click on a game to see detailed description including time]
                          Villa + Messi =

Comment

I would love too see us play Argentina again, just like we played Mexico again exactly 1 year after our WC match against them.
                            We played a great match and lost 4:0 by the way coached by the great Amir Naziabadi

Comment

We played a great game and fully deserve this win, but honestly you cant really read too much into such friendlies with 4-6 subs..!!
                              we certainly started the game with our strongest lineup, and most everyone played a pretty lively and spirited game..!! on the other hand Chile coach had clearly under-estimated us and our players' motivation for a win in this game by starting a experimental side..!! by the time he tried to make adjustments with subs it was too late and he had to contend against the great wall of CQ..!!

i think if Chile had started the game with the best line up, we still were likely to beat them the way TM showed up today..!!

but im not so sure we woulda won if this wasnt a friendly ...!!???

Comment

Working...
                              X