Fromer Ireland Coach Mick McCarthy on WCQ 2002 Playoffs vs. Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
    I may get chewed out alive for this, but I am not sure CQ's current tactics would have gotten us a better result against Ireland. We played marvelous offensive football, thanks a lot in part to AK8 who was on his game...just 1 inch this way and the game and WC would have been ours.
    But we wouldn't get scored on two easy goals in Ireland either. Mirza"poor" really sucked as a keeper. Also AK8 pictures showing him dribling 10 Irish players speaks volumes on our tactical errors.
    .... At the end I am nothing other than ordinary

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
      I was 9 when the Bahrain-Iran game happened but I remember it to be far worse than the Iran-Iraq situation. In the Iran-Iraq game, we know which team is better. In Azadi, we will beat them easily 2-0 or 3-1. Bahrain fought like their lives depended on it and held the Saudi flag after and it felt like Iran was conquered by Arabs all over again. Such a strong team losing to Bahrain and seeing the Saudi's celebrate, made me sick as a 9 year old. I still watch the Germany8-0 Saudi game sometimes for fun. They gave up 12 goals in 3 games and scored none. They lost 3-0 to Ireland.

I think there is an axis of teams for us these days, Saudi/Qatar/Bahrain. These teams are always mental trouble for us. If we can avoid them in qualifiers, we will qualify to the World cup much more easily.
      Spot on. but more or less, I never ever seen Iran with that much talent in that squad play so bad ever. We played horrible, I never saw Iran as bad as they did against Bahrain in 01.

Comment

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
        agree with you 73%.
        Wow, such precise observations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
          For me the elimination from this Asian Cup was the worst thing I witnessed so far as a fan. I am still depressed when I think about it because we had everything to become champions in Australia, it took one referee to rob an entire nation from their dreams. Simply disturbing, disgusting and depressing...I don't think I can get over it for a long time. The Argentina late goal comes second.
          worst thing? Dude this exact samr thing happened to us vs China in 2004 (only vice versa) in the semi final match and ofcourse argentina, just last year this shit always happens to us, people just forget
          You just got Caged
          K.C McElroy's Fan

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE View Post
            worst thing? Dude this exact samr thing happened to us vs China in 2004 (only vice versa) in the semi final match and ofcourse argentina, just last year this shit always happens to us, people just forget
            China game was also very heartbreaking. Ref was one sided and gave an unnecessary red card. We should have been the Asian champion that year. We had a good team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kavian View Post
              China game was also very heartbreaking. Ref was one sided and gave an unnecessary red card. We should have been the Asian champion that year. We had a good team.
              The exact same Pouladi incident happened in that game! Only difference was Zare gently touched Chinese player who threw himself on the ground, and instead of sending off the Chinese player for diving he sent off Zare, as well as Ali Karimi about to be 1v1 against goal keeper after dribbling past 2 chinese defenders they take him down from the back and only get a yellow card.
              You just got Caged
              K.C McElroy's Fan

Comment

While Bahrain, Argentina, Iraq and China were all bad games and sour memories...to be honest, for me one of the worst was Yugoslavia. If either one of two things would have happened that game would have been a draw for us...1) if Abedzadeh was in net, or 2) if the wall defended the free kick properly. It was one of the most amateurish attempts at defending a free kick and Nakisa had no business in a WC game. It was heartbreaking because I remember the Yugoslavs saying they would route us and put 8 or 9 in our net, and when it came to international soccer no one even considered Iran...yet for most of that game, we played brilliantly...mirrored the Argentina match in the past WC.
                Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Ireland leg two was a sad day but Bahrain 1-3 is the ultimate heartbreaker for me

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
                    While Bahrain, Argentina, Iraq and China were all bad games and sour memories...to be honest, for me one of the worst was Yugoslavia. If either one of two things would have happened that game would have been a draw for us...1) if Abedzadeh was in net, or 2) if the wall defended the free kick properly. It was one of the most amateurish attempts at defending a free kick and Nakisa had no business in a WC game. It was heartbreaking because I remember the Yugoslavs saying they would route us and put 8 or 9 in our net, and when it came to international soccer no one even considered Iran...yet for most of that game, we played brilliantly...mirrored the Argentina match in the past WC.
                    That was an excellent game and we could have easily won that game. Minavand had a great chance to score in the first half I think and he blew it. And don't even start me with Nakisa. Idiot went and stood behind our players where he couldn't see and follow the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by AminGP View Post
                      That was an excellent game and we could have easily won that game. Minavand had a great chance to score in the first half I think and he blew it. And don't even start me with Nakisa. Idiot went and stood behind our players where he couldn't see and follow the ball.

And he had the audacity to publicly defend what he did on that goal some time back. He said that there was nothing wrong with his positioning and he would do the same again, if given a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Damavand View Post
                        And he had the audacity to publicly defend what he did on that goal some time back. He said that there was nothing wrong with his positioning and he would do the same again, if given a chance.
                        The whole game he was on his line, and nervous. I remember hearing him yell things to the players like "jooneh madaretoon bargardid" cause we watched it in surround sound. It was a terrible performance.
                        Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Mick McCarthy is a legend.

Comment

Working...
                          X