X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.Nong article in Belgian media

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/football/...70f340d740eb21

For those that don't speak french, here a quick translation :

Nong told us about his adventure in Iran: "The fans are more fanatical than in Belgium"

Belgian football fans used to see him play in the Pro League during his spell in Mechelen or Standard. Then the striker landed to Levante in August 2013 but the dream did not go as planned. As a consequence, the contract was cancelled a year later and a growing desire for a change appeared.

"I wanted to renew with the fun of playing football," Aloys Nong told us during a brief visit to Brussels. "I wanted to feel useful again. That is why I joined Foolad, Iran, November 2014, under the guidance of a Cameroonian player already at the club and under the leadership of our Croatian coach who wanted me. Before that, my environment did not allow me to fully show what I could do because I felt unconfident. I did not like it. I like when everything is honest and correct. In Iran, if you're good, you play. No privileges. "

And when Aloys Nong feels good, the goals keep coming. With nine goals in fourteen games, the striker respected the expectations of the western iran club. Foolad was fifth in the championship but could not qualified from the Asian Champions League group stage, the other big motivation for landing in Iran.

After a quick look to the past season, the former "Rouche" is proud and happy with this half-season spent in an unknown environment.

"My wife was the first to be surprised about this destination. When she got some information about this country, most of them were negative. I was myself curious. And I directly got a taste of what was waiting me when I arrived in the country. people don't come in Iran as in Europe. Everything is strict there. All your actions is looked and examined. But the mentality is beautiful and the people are very welcoming. Football speaking, the fans are more fanatical that 'in Belgium. They live only for their team. The biggest match of the Championship between Persepolis and Esteghlal attracts 100,000 spectators. In the big matches we played in front of 40,000 people. "

About the team : For athletes used to professionalism in Europe, Iran is rather exotic. Football is not the same everywhere.

"My team mates first play for the fun. For example, the pre-game concentration before a match is inexistant. But when you're used to it, it becomes fun and you get used to it. It is necessary to respect their way of proceeding. Each country has its specificities. When you manage to understand it, adaptation goes well, "says Aloys Nong.

To sum up, the Cameroonian spent a top experience in Iran. So much so that he would see him back there to continue the adventure.

"I want to come back there. I've already told my wife. I spent wonderful moments," concludes the Jaguar, a nickname given by local supporters.

"Four teammates had to stop playing to join the army"

Aloys Nong returned from Iran with lots of anecdotes.

The army. "You can start the season with a full squad. But in the middle of the season, if the army calls you, you have to go. Before I arrived, four players were away for these reasons. And it is not for a week, but for two years. In addition, they were all in the starting eleven. So I had to play also in CAM or on the left wing to compensate for this lack of players that has prevented us from do better in the league and in the Champions League. "

The free training. "It was at the end of a session. The coach said we end the training with a twenty minute match without a specific theme to follow. Soon, it was the king's court Petaud. A big mess. The three foreigners looked to each other, and wondered what was happening. The winger became center-forward, left defender played right wing. The coach just told us to play. So they took the freedom to move as they wished, to want to dribble everybody ("Not surprising when you are used to watch iranians" PSGman remark) At the end of session, our coach said us: Imagine a dog when he sees a bone. Well, it was the same today when I looked at you. "

The locker rooms. "The program showed that the training was taking place at a specific location. A few minutes before the start of the session, I learned that the place has changed. I get on the pitch and I want to make myself ready. The problem is that there was no locker room. I had to prepare myself on the field. There are many little things like that that are pretty amazing. But as a pro, I I managed to pass over. "

Ha!

Sadly, not surprised by any of his stories. We truly are merely a developing football country, and anecdotes like these highlight this. Of course I get frustrated like any other fan when I feel our teams aren't reaching their potential. But at the same time I honestly marvel at whatever TM can manage to accomplish on major international stages, when you consider the general state of the football protoplasm of Iran currently.

Comment

Some of these aspects mentioned about iranian football are key to why our talent won't flourish to its full potential. The obvious one is the regime. But the lack of professionalism from within is astonishing. Can't wrap my head around the fact that players, coaches and everybody else around won't grasp the importance of playing within a system, a team, with a purpose, with a tactic, with something to execute. Just random headless running out of position, trying to beat your next opponent with a dribble or drive your head down and run towards the goal and hope for the best because everyone is for themselves. That's why the game against Turkmenistan looks like it does. The lack of players that actually can be professional and implement a tactic on the pitch ex. Nekounam, Dejagah and Hosseini.

Comment

Good article, nice to know that a quality ex La liga player like him enjoyed his time in our league and most importantly wants to continue playing here.

He is definitely among the best foreigners to have ever played in our league, CV wise

Comment

Originally posted by Hormozgan View Post
          Some of these aspects mentioned about iranian football are key to why our talent won't flourish to its full potential. The obvious one is the regime. But the lack of professionalism from within is astonishing. Can't wrap my head around the fact that players, coaches and everybody else around won't grasp the importance of playing within a system, a team, with a purpose, with a tactic, with something to execute. Just random headless running out of position, trying to beat your next opponent with a dribble or drive your head down and run towards the goal and hope for the best because everyone is for themselves. That's why the game against Turkmenistan looks like it does. The lack of players that actually can be professional and implement a tactic on the pitch ex. Nekounam, Dejagah and Hosseini.
          Just a question : Do Qatar clubs follow a tactic when playing? Have they all these shortcomings too? If the answers are respectively Yes & no, why being so negative about iranian players going there instead of staying in IPL?

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
            why being so negative about iranian players going there instead of staying in IPL?
            Simple, Qatar's league is a low quality one strictly based on expensive, old/lazy/greedy foreigners in a country with no footballing culture. Our players once there face lower competition, get even lazier than in Iran, and gradually get worse.

Most of our TM players that went there quickly faded away from the national team.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
              Just a question : Do Qatar clubs follow a tactic when playing? Have they all these shortcomings too? If the answers are respectively Yes & no, why being so negative about iranian players going there instead of staying in IPL?
              I didn't talk about Qatar or other countries at all. But since you're comparing I'd would start of to say: Qatar doesn't have a bit as much talent as we do in Iran. They also don't have footballing history, tradition and passion as we do. What they do have though is resources and the humility to actually be willing to learn from better footballing minds I.E. in their case foreign influence, whether it be coaches, players retiring in their league etc etc. They practically suck at everything except for having a bunch of money and creating opportunities for their players to learn something.

Sometimes we're Asias England NT in the sense that we're delusional of where we are just because we've have superior bagage compared to other west asian countries. We're supposed to run this shit, but we're to conceited to learn new things. England has the far superior ground to evovle football with the amount money PL generates + their tradition and etc. But their footballing academies has not evovled at the rate and countries like Spain, Germany and even France have produced much more modern and capable young players.

Comment

Working...
              X