Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Iran got disqualified for the 1986 World Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Iran got disqualified for the 1986 World Cup?

I was looking for an answer but I couldn't find anything regarding our disqualification for the 1986 World Cup.

Perhaps old timers can give more detailed information on how we got disqualified? I know that there was the Iran-Iraq war going on but the Iraqi's still played their games while we didn't. Anyone?

Iran refused to play its home games abroad due to the war

Comment

Iran-Iraq war...im not even sure if we had a team back then that could participate (federation, money, etc...)

Comment

The war was the priority for Iran and Iranians. FIFA should put a note about this war.

Iran lost a lot of its citizens due to the West orchestrated war. Iran should have ended the war earlier but it did not and lost more.
        چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

Iran did not want to play their home games on neutral grounds.

http://www.phespirit.info/worldcup/wcq1986e.htm

Comment

As 04041374 pointed out we refused to play our home games elsewhere. We definitely did have a team as we finished 3rd in the 1980 Asian Cup, reached the quarterfinals of the 1982 Asian Games and finished 4th at the 1984 Asian Cup.
            The sad part is arogh had the same restriction and not only did they accept it but they actually qualified for the World Cup (with sauding games no doubt).
            I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

I bet that I'm repeating something that has been said a million times before, but damn the 80s really were the lost years in Iran's football.

Iran was literally the king of Asia during the 70s, and lightyears ahead of Japan, and we were able to put up a challenge against any team in the world.

Then after 1980 we fell asleep. Such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Bessos View Post
                I bet that I'm repeating something that has been said a million times before, but damn the 80s really were the lost years in Iran's football.

Iran was literally the king of Asia during the 70s, and lightyears ahead of Japan, and we were able to put up a challenge against any team in the world.

I wouldn't say we fell asleep. Our achievements were comparable to the following two and a half decades.
                I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                  I wouldn't say we fell asleep. Our achievements were comparable to the following two and a half decades.
                  I think those achievements came simply due to what we already were at that time.

With falling asleep I mean we did not really develop / improve our football from the 80s and on. Our level stayed the same, while it could have improved.

Comment

Iraq's "neutral" games were held in friendly countries with pro Arab pro Iraq populations. Iran was to play in cities in which people were not big Iran fans

Comment

Were there many talents during the war era? I'm sure there were some great players who did not have a chance to shine because of the imposed conflict

Comment

Originally posted by persepolisfan View Post
                        Were there many talents during the war era? I'm sure there were some great players who did not have a chance to shine because of the imposed conflict
                        It was one of our most talented crop of players. Players such as Pious, Moharrami, Abtahi or Ghayeghran appear only once in a blue moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bessos View Post

We didn't fall asleep, we were killed in our sleep with the Iranian Revolution!!! if the revolution never happened , I can say with 100% confidence, Iran would have qualified to EVERY world cup and Won EVERY Asian Cup!! It was this 'death' that allowed the liked of Saudi Arabia and Japan to dominate Asia in the 80's to the 90's . Not becuase they were good, but only because were( and still and continue to be) bad!!

Comment

Fortunately, our team bounced back in the late 90s and became a dominant Asian force again in 2004-2006. They've been solid ever since then, but I am waiting for the next crop of legends to come out. I am talking about players that will be remembered for years to come such as Karimi, Daei, Mahdavikia.

Comment

Working...
                            X