• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo Article: AFC move to resolve Guam-Iran World Cup row

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-...7029--sow.html

AFC move to resolve Guam-Iran World Cup row

By Patrick Johnston

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 19 (Reuters) - The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) have stepped in to resolve a row that led to Guam threatening to cancel their World Cup qualifier in Iran after complaints from the U.S. territory that Tehran had delayed visa applications.

Guam said they started the visa process "months ago" for the Sept. 3 fixture but were still waiting on an authorisation code from the Iranian Football Federation so that the required documents could be completed for their players.

The AFC told Reuters on Wednesday they had received a letter from the Guam Football Association on the matter but expected all to be resolved by Friday after speaking with both parties.

"The AFC understand that the Iran Football Federation is currently preparing the visas to be addressed to a third country by August 21, 2015, which has been communicated to the Guam FA by the Iran Football Federation," the statement said.

The U.S. and Iran have been arch-adversaries since the 1979 Islamic Revolution and neither have embassies in each other's country. The AFC would not say where the visas would be sent.

Guam head coach and technical director Gary White told Four Four Two Magazine on Tuesday he was outraged by the behaviour towards his team, with the report adding the team were contemplating asking for the fixture to be cancelled.

The report also said Taiwan, who face Iraq in a World Cup qualifier in Tehran on Sept. 3, and Japan, who will play a friendly against Iran in October, had already received their visas to travel.

White, who could not be reached by Reuters, was scathing of the treatment his side had received from the three-times Asian champions.

"It's outrageous that the top-ranked team in Asia has treated us with so little respect," the Englishman told the magazine.

"Our office began this process months ago when they received my training periodisation plan for the FIFA World Cup qualifiers as soon as we knew our opposition back in April, after the draw was completed."

Tiny Guam, dotted in the Pacific Ocean, won their opening two Group D qualifiers against Turkmenistan and India in June, their first ever victories at this level. Their first World Cup qualifier ended in a 19-0 defeat to Iran in 2002.

September's fixture is also expected to end in a heavy loss but White accused his opponents of running scared after they moved the fixture from the usual venue of Tehran's Azadi Stadium to Karaj, at an altitude of 1,400 metres.

"This is not fair and we are not impressed at all," White said.

"I just don't believe it's the right way of going about things, it's not professional, but I guess when under pressure football associations can panic." (Editing by John O'Brien)

S - E - C - U - L - A - R - I - S - M

Lol at them complaining about alittude in Karaj. Do they know Karaj is now basically a suburb of Tehran and probably has cleaner air and at roughly the same elevation of Azadi stadium? Not to mention its probably an hour away (at most) driving there!

Comment

Yahoo Article: AFC move to resolve Guam-Iran World Cup row

"Running scared after they moved from Tehran to Karaj"

Lol? We've played several official TM games and ACL matches there and no one complained at all

I smell another Choi behaviour

Comment

Guam 19-0ers
        --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
        --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
        ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
        --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
        ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

I feel for them though. IFF probably giving them a hard time for having American passports.

Comment

Good job by IFF. Guam requires Iranians the same process for team melli to play in their turf. TM should send the names of the players 3 months prior the match plus they would finger print our lads in Guam, so I say it is fine. Iran needs to finger print Guam national team too. Fair is fair when it is for all not just one side.

Comment

Jesus tits!

Comment

WOAH WOAH WOAH

Calm those didz!

Someone is still mad about 19-zeroo???

Or is he just trying to encourage his own team by making these absurd statements about us?

Comment

Accuses their players of being US spies for all I care. There is no fair play these days. I remember when PERSPOLIS went to Saudi Arabia and how badly they where treated.

Comment

Originally posted by littlepersia17 View Post
                    Accuses their players of being US spies for all I care. There is no fair play these days. I remember when PERSPOLIS went to Saudi Arabia and how badly they where treated.
                    So should we take that out on these poor Islanders?

Comment

Begin be een aghayeh Sefid, yekam dige zardeh bekishe , visashoon hanooz to raahe....! lol
                      In typical IR fashion it should arrive shortly prior flight ..!

I think IFF is mad @ the goozoos for initially agreeing to play their home match in Tehran & then backtracking on it. ?

Comment

The visa difficulties that Guam has had have been circulated quite a bit in American media even in ESPN.

Here is an article about this not being a unique issue with many Iranian athletes not being able to enter the U.S. Because of visa issues and even needing to cancel tournaments.

http://www.guampdn.com/story/sports/...ique/32093199/
                        The Guam men’s national soccer team is training and preparing like it will compete in Iran on Sept. 3, but the players are still without visas to enter the country. Several Iranian sports figures can feel their pain.

Each member of the Matao holds a U.S. passport, and the tension between the U.S. and the Islamic Republic of Iran makes all travel between the two countries difficult. There is not a lot of recent precedent of U.S. athletes challenging opponents in Iran, but there have been several cases in just the past few years where sports figures from Iran have been denied entry to work or compete in the U.S.

In 2014, a tennis referee, Adel Borghei, believed he would work the U.S. Open, as he had done in 2013. Borghei was even been assigned to the tournament. Before it began, after he’d traveled to Canada, his visa application was denied.

“This is a big blow to the efforts of the administration to increase athletic exchanges between these countries,” Borghei’s attorney told Sports Illustrated at the time. The blows continued this year.

The Jacob Curby Cup, a major wrestling tournament scheduled for June in Chicago, advertised a main event between teams from Iran and the U.S. The tournament was canceled, days before it was set to begin, because the Iranian team couldn’t get visas to enter the U.S.

Iranian teams have had trouble getting into England as well. Iran was forced to withdraw from the Cerebral Palsy Football World Championships in June because the players were denied entry into England.

Politics do not appear to be the issue with the Guam soccer team. The Asian Football Confederation stated on Wednesday the Football Federation Islamic Republic of Iran plans to release the information it must to allow the Matao entry, implying the federation and not the country’s government is in control of this situation.

Guam’s head coach, Gary White, implied that as well in an interview with FourFourTwo.com earlier this week.

There is still time for the visas to come through. Guam’s initial plan — going through the Pakistan embassy in Washington D.C. — was withdrawn. It now appears the team will attempt to acquire visas while in Japan during training camp, which begins next week.

Let's see if the American media will circulate this article as well.

Comment

Good keep them out, they have done this to us too many times.

Comment

Cuba had problems getting US visas too for the Gold Cup last month:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0PJ1QO20150709

Comment

Originally posted by irani8perspolis View Post
                              Good keep them out, they have done this to us too many times.
                              Not the fault of Guam islanders but this ridiculous visa process between Iran and US should stop. US gives hard time to Iranian athletes and the finger printing is an insult, so as long as US does this, Iran is justified.

Comment

Working...
                              X