Iran has already had its ''Leicester'' moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while I give credit to the small team to win their championship and am happy to see them triumph in presence of BIG SPENDING goliaths like Man-U, arsenal, Man city, chelsea, liverpool, ..., but this sense of marking wonder and amazement , at least among us Iranians is quite unjustified.

Ipl has already had its now-coined leicester city moment when Foolad FC won the league for the first time, a decade ago, against all odds, with almost entirely home grown talent and khuzestani youngsters that became stars later on (Mobaali, Badavi, Kameli, ... ) in presence of traditional ''star-sucking'', rich and influential clubs like ss, pp, ... and even sepahan.
    Nobody made such hue and cry about that in Iran. As if leicester is such a cinderella story that we havent seen until today!

and if I'm not mistaken back in 90's, didnt kaiseslautern do the very same thing (or even one better than leicester, in fact), when they got promoted from second div to eventually win the top division on the same year?

Anyway, this year i'm hoping we'd repeat this ''leicester moment'' when ss-khuzestan wins the IPL for the first time too, especially after barely keeping themselves in top flight last season.

Comment

Saipa did the same thing as well in the early 90s when they won the Azadegan league (then name for the Persian Gulf League) in their first year in the top flight.

Comment

Montpellier did it in French league too when Qataris just arrived in PSG. The same with Wolfsburg in 2009.

For me it is bad to have a small team popping up, because they will certainly lose their coach and/or major players during the next transfer window. And they will probably represent their country very poorly in the continental competition the following year.

As I hate EPL, I am very happy of what Leicester (former Kaabi team and Shekari next team).

Comment

well wen sepahan won its first ipl trophy they werent big spenders either. the team that won the IPL in 2002 i believe consisted of all Sepahan's academy players. they started becoming big spenders a feew years after

Comment

nothing will beat that Gucci goal against South Korea. We were being dominated and i had no idea where our goal was going to come from, we score, uzbekistan win 5-1 and nothing can stop us, not even match fixing. Beautiful moment.
            Please watch and Subscribe:

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
              Montpellier did it in French league too when Qataris just arrived in PSG. The same with Wolfsburg in 2009.

For me it is bad to have a small team popping up, because they will certainly lose their coach and/or major players during the next transfer window. And they will probably represent their country very poorly in the continental competition the following year.

As I hate EPL, I am very happy of what Leicester (former Kaabi team and Shekari next team).
              Bro I love how confident you are that Shekari will soon move to Leicester!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Who said it is Shekari next team, source?

Comment

Leceister winning just showed how garbage English league is. All Ranieri had to do was bring some good ol Italian structure and tactics to that league and no one had a real answer. Its about team work and thats what the old Foolad team showed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tehranto View Post
                    Who said it is Shekari next team, source?
                    Vavel.com

Nothing is sure of course, but the guardian top50 list will help him in the future

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
                      Leceister winning just showed how garbage English league is. All Ranieri had to do was bring some good ol Italian structure and tactics to that league and no one had a real answer. Its about team work and thats what the old Foolad team showed.
                      Did simeone also show how "garbage" la Liga is by toppling the two giants and winning the title a few seasons back?

I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. I would call what Leicester have done this season an outlier, as it will likely not happen again in the next 25 years.

It's also funny how some are hyping up Ranieri so much right now considering how he flopped badly with Greece just recently. The bulk of the work was done by Pearson at the end of last season when they were on the extraordinary winning streak.

Comment

Originally posted by littlepersia17 View Post
                        Did simeone also show how "garbage" la Liga is by toppling the two giants and winning the title a few seasons back?
                        I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. I would call what Leicester have done this season an outlier, as it will likely not happen again in the next 25 years.
                        It's also funny how some are hyping up Ranieri so much right now considering how he flopped badly with Greece just recently. The bulk of the work was done by Pearson at the end of last season when they were on the extraordinary winning streak.
                        I agree with Ekbatan when a league has a small club winning it, it shows the bad state of that league. A normal league would have their top teams always in the top ranking, not a team that come from nowhere win it and disappear just after. Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal didn't do their job this year.

If Leicester can keep on these performance and stay in the top 5 during a long time + good performance in Europe (like atletico), that is something else.

Comment

I agree with Ekbatan when a league has a small club winning it, it shows the bad state of that league. A normal league would have their top teams always in the top ranking, not a team that come from nowhere win it and disappear just after. Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal didn't do their job this year.

If Leicester can keep on these performance and stay in the top 5 during a long time + good performance in Europe (like atletico), that is something else.
                          not just the big teams but this was the year other smaller teams could've taken a chance....like tottenham, west ham, liverpool. They all choked week after week to take advantage. None of them had a championship mentality to bounce back. Chelsea being the most pathetic and Arsenal seems to be stuck in 4th place no matter what the league looks like. Really disappointing to see a league with so much hype and money spent cant even do a half decent job.

Comment

The EPL is still the most exciting league to watch. I would rather cut off my dodool then watch a min of a non juve serie a match.

Comment

EPL is the most overrated league in the history of football! Never seen some much hype over nothin'...

Comment

Working...
                              X