Iran has already had its ''Leicester'' moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
    while I give credit to the small team to win their championship and am happy to see them triumph in presence of BIG SPENDING goliaths like Man-U, arsenal, Man city, chelsea, liverpool, ..., but this sense of marking wonder and amazement , at least among us Iranians is quite unjustified.

Ipl has already had its now-coined leicester city moment when Foolad FC won the league for the first time, a decade ago, against all odds, with almost entirely home grown talent and khuzestani youngsters that became stars later on (Mobaali, Badavi, Kameli, ... ) in presence of traditional ''star-sucking'', rich and influential clubs like ss, pp, ... and even sepahan.
    Nobody made such hue and cry about that in Iran. As if leicester is such a cinderella story that we havent seen until today!

and if I'm not mistaken back in 90's, didnt kaiseslautern do the very same thing (or even one better than leicester, in fact), when they got promoted from second div to eventually win the top division on the same year?

You are correct except for the fact that Sepahan did it 1st in the 2nd IPL year & paved the way for Foolad. They didn't start spending money until 5 years after that.

Comment

Originally posted by littlepersia17 View Post
      Did simeone also show how "garbage" la Liga is by toppling the two giants and winning the title a few seasons back?
      I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. I would call what Leicester have done this season an outlier, as it will likely not happen again in the next 25 years.
      It's also funny how some are hyping up Ranieri so much right now considering how he flopped badly with Greece just recently. The bulk of the work was done by Pearson at the end of last season when they were on the extraordinary winning streak.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You can't seriously compare Leicester to Atletico? Atletico Madrid is traditionally a (sub) topclub in Spain. Leicester is more like fe Santander. Now imagine Santander winning the Primera division... Not going to happen in a million years

Comment

Originally posted by persepolisfan View Post
        The EPL is still the most exciting league to watch. I would rather cut off my dodool then watch a min of a non juve serie a match.
        Then you're missing out on a lot, especially a world class player like Pogba. But why are you guys so insecure anyways? why does it always have to be a shit on Serie A? go watch your overhyped league. who in PL is even world class these days? lol

Comment

Lol. I have never watched a single full game of serie A in my life. Would be a big waste of 90 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
            Then you're missing out on a lot, especially a world class player like Pogba. But why are you guys so insecure anyways? why does it always have to be a shit on Serie A? go watch your overhyped league. who in PL is even world class these days? lol
            Goft non-Juve match. He appreciates Juve.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMerci View Post
              Goft non-Juve match. He appreciates Juve.
              my bad, i missed that. but still, Serie A matches are more entertaining to me cuz of tactics and how small teams give problems to big teams. I've followed PL my whole life and there was a time where it was exciting probably between 2002-2009 but its been very lackluster since 2009-2010 time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                Lol. I have never watched a single full game of serie A in my life. Would be a big waste of 90 minutes.
                Thats because you dont know real football and probably didnt grow up in the golden era of football until about 2004 is where it was real. Not this overhyped commercial crap you see today with overspending on flavor of the week players. Just look at how many top dollar players have flopped over the years.

Serie A is about tactics which is what CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and all the major tournaments like world cup and continental cups are based on. You play with a game plan and accordingly to win. English football lacks that and that is why Leceister with Ranieri is winning it. Thats why Mancini, Mourinho, and every other coach wins it. And that is why English teams flop in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
                  Thats because you dont know real football and probably didnt grow up in the golden era of football until about 2004 is where it was real. Not this overhyped commercial crap you see today with overspending on flavor of the week players. Just look at how many top dollar players have flopped over the years.

Serie A is about tactics which is what CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and all the major tournaments like world cup and continental cups are based on. You play with a game plan and accordingly to win. English football lacks that and that is why Leceister with Ranieri is winning it. Thats why Mancini, Mourinho, and every other coach wins it. And that is why English teams flop in Europe.
                  Agha jan gol gofti.

Comment

Working...
                  X