Afshin Ghotbi @ Buriram United 2016/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's keep an eye on this team and their progress, we had a thread for Ghotbi when he was at shining, let's see how he fares in Thailand. As an Iranian coach abroad (the only one aside from hashemian that I can think of) he deserves our support.

Interested to see which Iranian players he will go after. Wouldn't be surprised to see mamad Nouri, payam sadeghian, Pejman Nouri, or even Ando on his wish list. Best of luck to him on his new position I hope to see him succeed.

http://www.espnfc.com/thai-premier-l...hotbi-as-coach

http://www.varzesh3.com/news/1328116...یلند-شد
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

he might bring some iranians, however i am not sure if iranian players wish to go and play in the thai league, but the team is good, they went to the afc quaters a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
      Let's keep an eye on this team and their progress, we had a thread for Ghotbi when he was at shining, let's see how he fares in Thailand. As an Iranian coach abroad (the only one aside from hashemian that I can think of) he deserves our support.

Interested to see which Iranian players he will go after. Wouldn't be surprised to see mamad Nouri, payam sadeghian, Pejman Nouri, or even Ando on his wish list. Best of luck to him on his new position I hope to see him succeed.

http://www.espnfc.com/thai-premier-l...hotbi-as-coach

http://www.varzesh3.com/news/1328116...یلند-شد
      You spelled the team name wrong......

Comment

Originally posted by ehsan singapore View Post
        he might bring some iranians, however i am not sure if iranian players wish to go and play in the thai league, but the team is good, they went to the afc quaters a few years ago
        Ando was linked with a move there and now that he is clubless I would not be surprised at all if Ghotbi approaches him with a lot of money. Also there were reports of payam sadeghian going there and I know Reza Haghighi recently signed with a team there as well. Other players in the PGL have been approached by some of their teams....it seems like it's becoming another QSL but for more washed up players. A guy like Pejman or mamad Nouri who is aging and also a free agent could become a target for Ghotbi too
        Team Meli Iran
        Perspolis FC
        Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Damn I didn't know afshin ghotbi had such a good cv!

Assistant manager for the U.S, for South Korea during their successful 2002 WC campaign as well as 2006. Oh and I almost forgot he led PERSPOLIS to their last league title 8 years ago.

I'm relatively new to IRANIAN football, why do most people here hate him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If they play a team from K league he will know them better than the palm of his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by littlepersia17 View Post

Assistant manager for the U.S, for South Korea during their successful 2002 WC campaign as well as 2006. Oh and I almost forgot he led PERSPOLIS to their last league title 8 years ago.

He was hated for a number of reasons and there was a smear campaign against him and there still is imo.

but heres a list of reasons why people disliked him:
              -He was relatively unknown and had no experience when he got selected which angered a lot of vatani or ex players that wanted to job.
              -He brought a whole new level of professionalism with him that exposed a lot of the other coaches.
              -He made a lot of promises which he couldn't keep. (always promised the league, ACL or WCQ games)
              -He was an American citizen.
              -Didn't really have a set style of play.
              -Started from the bottom which caused a lot of jealousy from a few football experts that argued he was a fake (la tv anchor, forgot his name)
              -He wasn't successful with TM.

Comment

Originally posted by kia View Post
                If they play a team from K league he will know them better than the palm of his hand.

Comment

Wish him the best in Thailand!

Comment

because he failed to take us to the world cup in 2010, fair enough he only had 3 games, but in 2011 asian cup against korea we played poor, really poor, also some of the players he invited were poor, he was not a bad coach but he did not live to the expectation which people had of him back in 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pouya View Post
                      He was hated for a number of reasons and there was a smear campaign against him and there still is imo.

but heres a list of reasons why people disliked him:
                      -He was relatively unknown and had no experience when he got selected which angered a lot of vatani or ex players that wanted to job.
                      -He brought a whole new level of professionalism with him that exposed a lot of the other coaches.
                      -He made a lot of promises which he couldn't keep. (always promised the league, ACL or WCQ games)
                      -He was an American citizen.
                      -Didn't really have a set style of play.
                      -Started from the bottom which caused a lot of jealousy from a few football experts that argued he was a fake (la tv anchor, forgot his name)
                      -He wasn't successful with TM.
                      i agree with most of the point, but being a american citizen has no relavence to it, he coached pp also , i agree he was not successfull and made promises which he failed to deliever i agree with thoese

Comment

Ghotbi has done nothing in his managerial career to show him to be a competent coach. Iran, Persepolis and Shimizu all ended in him being fired.

Comment

Originally posted by pdot View Post
                          Ghotbi has done nothing in his managerial career to show him to be a competent coach. Iran, Persepolis and Shimizu all ended in him being fired.
                          He was the last Coach that PP won the IPL with

Comment

Originally posted by pdot View Post
                            This is an unfair assessment. If anything, I'd say that Afshin Ghotbi is amongst the most competent Iranian coaches there is. I'd go a step further and say that before Mansourian and Golmohammadi entered the scene, he was the most competent Iranian manager.

It's a shame that there was such a smear campaign against him - both from Mehran Molkara as well as some members here (notably, Kaiser-Amir).

Comment

A lot of people don't like him because he couldn't get good results out of bad situations, hence why the haters are more unreasonable than realistic. I'll admit that following the 2011 AC I was against him too, but looking back 5 years later I was dead wrong. That team we had in the AC was arguably the weakest we have had in the last 20 years or so.....when you look at the teams before and after I don't see any group weaker than that one. That being said I don't blame him for not making a run in the tournament, however, the constant promises that were never delivered pissed people off.

What Ghotbi did that was very risky was he played with multiple different tactics rather than play to his teams strengths, this was his biggest down fall. He needed a miracle to pull off qualification to the 2010 World Cup with just 3 games remaining (similar to the situation we were in for the 2014 WCQ campaign) but fell just short in the end. That poor campaign was 110% on Daie and the IFF (more Daie) so if you hear anyone blame Ghotbi for this don't pay attention.

He is a decent manager I'd say....better suited for club football than national teams IMO since he likes to take risks and change things around. Unfortunately most Iranian fans will just remember his empty promises and unsuccessful record (and not take the circumstances into consideration).
                              Team Meli Iran
                              Perspolis FC
                              Malavan Bandar Anzali

Comment

Working...
                              X