Why is CQ better ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sedee91 View Post
    Alright, then why didn't he ever play for Sepahan's first team at a competitive level? Big talents always play regardless of age, just like Ezatollahi, he played first team football for Malavan.
    This is another topic. When Sardar got into TM he was getting decent game time especially for his age in a solid European league, that was exactly when CQ called him up to the WC camps, which is also when he got crossed off from the final list and only started getting his regular call-ups after the Korea friendly. JB was in the same situation but even arguably better and was basically a rotation player in an Eredivisie team when he got called up.

So your original statement "otherwise we would have never seen the likes of Azmoun or Jahanbakhsh in TM" is not right imo and if that was the case we would have also never seen many of the talents that I have cited in my previous posts either for instance.

Comment

I'm not sure if CQ is tactically the best coach TM has ever had. As another poster noted, Ivic was probably our most accomplished and tactically saavy coach. CQ seems to be the best at maintaining the unity/discipline in TM, handling the media and dealing with IFF and sports ministry, which actually goes a long way in Iranian football.

Comment

Originally posted by Z Joon View Post
        This is another topic. When Sardar got into TM he was getting decent game time especially for his age in a solid European league, that was exactly when CQ called him up to the WC camps, which is also when he got crossed off from the final list and only started getting his regular call-ups after the Korea friendly. JB was in the same situation but even arguably better and was basically a rotation player in an Eredivisie team when he got called up.

So your original statement "otherwise we would have never seen the likes of Azmoun or Jahanbakhsh in TM" is not right imo and if that was the case many of the talents that I have cited in my previous posts for instance, would have never been called up.
        I like the debate that we are having together. If other members were as cool as cucumbers like us, we wouldn't have too much chaos in our forums. But I'll stick to my case and agree to disagree. In my opinion, if talents like Azmoun were never given a chance to play and European teams offer them a deal, they would eventually be our saviors when and if they accept those deals. Azmoun was in the Sepahan first team from 2011-2013 and never played a single game. When Zlatko doesn't believe in Azmoun, but he does with Ali Karimi (one of the talents who played for Sepahan, and now is reunited with Kranjcar), we can say its an opinionated decision, and Kranjcar is definitely a name for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by sedee91 View Post
          I like the debate that we are having together. If other members were as cool as cucumbers like us, we wouldn't have too much chaos in our forums. But I'll stick to my case and agree to disagree. In my opinion, if talents like Azmoun were never given a chance to play and European teams offer them a deal, they would eventually be our saviors when and if they accept those deals. Azmoun was in the Sepahan first team from 2011-2013 and never played a single game. When Zlatko doesn't believe in Azmoun, but he does with Ali Karimi (one of the talents who played for Sepahan, and now is reunited with Kranjcar), we can say its an opinionated decision, and Kranjcar is definitely a name for himself.
          The case of younger talents playing in the league is already much much improved compared to when Azmoun went to Russia, now we have more and more 17-19 years old starting in some of our teams since the 14-15 season. Torabi has been playing since he was 19 if I'm not mistaking and has been amazing since, both in youth TM as well as senior but for some reason he visibly still doesn't have European offers.

The issue is more complicated than just playing time, Sardar left to a decent team like Rubin without playing time, whereas Ezzatollahi was the young player of the season in 2012 getting some considerable minutes while being 16 years old and left to Atleti, JB was great in youth teams as well as in the league which earned him a Eredivisie move; there can be several different scenarios and it's all grabbing the opportunities, there is no right formula

Comment

We should just cut this argument short, as we all have different opinions.

Coach quality is subjective. Some people think Berdyev is a genius, others (especially many fans inside Russian football) think he packs the box and plays a bad style of football. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

If you think ugly, scrappy soccer is bad, then in your mind CQ is not a great coach. He has always played this type of football. When he was Portugal's coach, he had similar tactics, which is why many Portuguese fans don't remember him as being an all-time great manager.

Still, if results are anything to go by, the guy can at the very least get results against Asian nations, especially Arabs. I don't think it can be argued that our players play with a sense of confidence against Arabs now, which is a plus.

Meanwhile, we haven't won the Asian Cup with CQ, and although we surprised with our quality at WC Brazil, we still didn't do any better than 1998.

But, we have a lot more talent today than we had in Brazil 2014, so maybe 2018 WC and 2019 AC (if CQ stays) we may achieve these goals?

We don't know yet. A lot of CQ's legacy will be built on those 2 tournaments.

If, with all of this talent (likely near their prime ages in 2018), CQ cannot do any more than 1 or 2 points in WC, then we will likely be able to say he wasn't an all time great. If, we do, then maybe we can say differently.

Problem is, even at that point, it will still be just our opinions.

There is no right or wrong here.

Comment

Professionalism, Discipline, Passion, Vision and understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Matador View Post
                I'm not sure if CQ is tactically the best coach TM has ever had. As another poster noted, Ivic was probably our most accomplished and tactically saavy coach. CQ seems to be the best at maintaining the unity/discipline in TM, handling the media and dealing with IFF and sports ministry, which actually goes a long way in Iranian football.
                No. He is not tactically the best coach we had. When it comes to team building in terms of squad and maintaining the unity/discipline in NT as you said, he is one of the best but I do not rate him as a tactician at all. He even did not change his game plan against Bosnia. His game plan with Portugal at the WC 2010 was similar to the game plan he had with us at the WC 2014. His game plan at the AC 2015 was not that different either. My next comment says the details about why I do not rate him as a coach at all.

Comment

When it comes to assessing a head coach It is not important whether a coach has the history of working with big clubs/names. I do not look at that. I just look at the achievements as a head coach. The achievements that Costa Rica, Algeria, Greece, Iceland, Poland, Portugal, and Wales coaches had in last WC/Euro cup. CQ has the history of working with big clubs/names and that is why the majority PFDC fans turn a blind eyes on the fact that he has not achieved any amazing result as a head coach in the last two decades. Look at the players he had in Real Madrid Zeidan, Beckam, Figo, Ronaldo, Casilas, Raul, etc I think if the head coach of that team was even the captain of the team they would have gotten better results. Most of the matches he won with Real Madrid were boring 1-0 or 2-1. His performance in Portugal proved that he is not as good as most of PFDC guys think.

The continuation of my comment is the following one that I found in Bigsoccer:

We have to wait and see how CQ is going to play his cards though, if we park the bus like in '14, we're going to get similar or even worse results due to our defence being weaker without Hosseini - too old, Pouladi - dumbass fleeing conscription, Neko - retired, Ando - bad form, injured, and likely retiring. But since our striking force has been significantly improved (Although we do not have a traditional attacking midfielder like Karimi) we have a reasonable chance at qualifying to the round of 16 for the first time provided we play possession, high tempo, deep pressing attacking football.

CQ, however, doesn't seem to be familiar with the concept of pressing. He prefers his entire team to get behind the ball as soon as they lose possession and clog the box instead of man marking and pressing. Once we get the ball, it's the good old "bekesh ziresh" i.e. long ball for the sole striker. Or as CQ fan boys especially PFDC fans that are die hard CQ fans like to call it: Hyper modern counter attacking system...

But to be fair, CQ has done a tremendous job with this particular squad selection, overall discipline, regenerating the team in the right way, and team building in terms of squad. I just don't rate him as a coach. He's a meticulous organizer not a tactician. He uses the same old plan over and over again. I think it is the time for our NT to bring new coach but it should be done after we pass the WCQs. Using CQ in head coach position won't get us anywhere higher than group stage in WC and we stagnate after ward. We need someone with more plans not just parking the bus.

Comment

Do you remember,the period after head coaching of Ali Daei..and afshin Ghotbi.....?
                    we all here,were talking about total lack of talents,and aging legioners ,and drying up talents....then the embarressment of " Clemente ",who was too good for IRAN..and wanted to coach TM remotly.....
                    so,why so much lack of talent..after CQ,has come to the point,where we have just too many good players..the new TM players keep showing up ! and we have been ranked number one in Asia for so long !
                    ..these new players all existed..just nobody to judge them..every coach,came and chose same old experinced players...and keep using them untill they were 34 ,37 years of age.....but,CQ....just has done majic......
                    :..indeed a huge difference in what he himself calls:

PRE CQ...............( PC )
                    and
                    After CQ.............( AC ).....
                    Last edited by zzgloo; 08-14-2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X