Iran will be in pot 3 for the draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran will be in pot 3 for the draw

For the first time they are using the FIFA rankings (16 October 2017) to seed the teams for the WC draw. This means that Iran will be in pot 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_F...ld_Cup_seeding

This means that they will not be in the same group as Egypt for sure and possibly Nigeria, Costa Rica, Iceland and Serbia. If they manage to qualify we will certainly avoid Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Tunisia, Senegal and DR Congo and possibly Croatia, Denmark and Northern Ireland.

Doesn't say much too be honest; still interesting though...

I am really hoping Iceland goes to Pot 2 and we land them.
    Imagine Russia, Iceland, Iran, Panama.

That would be a wide open group for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by naderb94 View Post
      I am really hoping Iceland goes to Pot 2 and we land them.
      Yeah, seems unlikely though. For that to happen 3 teams out of Peru (vs NZ), Switzerland (vs NI), Italy (vs Sweden), Croatia (vs Greece) and Denmark (vs Rep Ireland) have to fail to qualify...

Comment

Originally posted by TAKHTI View Post
        Yeah, seems unlikely though. For that to happen 3 teams out of Peru (vs NZ), Switzerland (vs NI), Italy (vs Sweden), Croatia (vs Greece) and Denmark (vs Rep Ireland) have to fail to qualify...
        I can see Italy, Denmark, and possibly Croatia falling but very unlikely.
        What's the chances Costa Rica gets into Pot 2?

Comment

Even lower...four of those teams has to fail to qualify haha

Comment

Even lower...four of those teams has to fail to qualify haha
            I stated in another thread that if all the top seed European teams happen to lose, and Peru lost to New Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, and Northern Ireland would move up to pot 2.

Highly unlikely scenario, but so was the US missing the world cup. Anything can happen.

Comment

Peru beating New Zealand feels like a certain lock. If they happen to lose that, I find it to be a bigger collapse than US losing to TT especially since its 2 legs

Comment

So does that mean Iran can end up with saudi/japan/korea in group stage?
                Sorry, but really not up to speed with forum.

Comment

Damn, I wanted Denmark so bad..

Comment

Originally posted by onebloodfool View Post
                    So does that mean Iran can end up with saudi/japan/korea in group stage?
                    No the draw will be such that teams from the same confederation are not in the same group (except UEFA of course!). In fact, this constrains quite a bit which team Iran will get from pot 4, especially if Australia make it too.

Comment

No the draw will be such that teams from the same confederation are not in the same group (except UEFA of course!). In fact, this constrains quite a bit which team Iran will get from pot 4, especially if Australia make it too.
                      Imagine getting Saudi Arabia if that was the case. The ultimate bragging rights would be on the line

Comment

Sweden is just very unlucky to get drawn with Italy.

And I wouldn't say they didn't deserve it if they defeat Italy and make it to the WC.

Comment

an Asian tean can not and will not be drawn into a group with another AFC country

Comment

Give me Poland, England and Panama and I'll weep tears of joy till I'm hospitalised through dehydration.

Comment

I also somehow would love to get England for some reason. What a joy that would be. Just imagine. Most overrated pot 2 team!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X