This is the best draw Iran could ever hope for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the best draw Iran could ever hope for

I think majority of Iranian fans are looking at the world cup groupings the wrong way.

I think We got the best possible group

This group allows us to do the single thing that we should hope/dream of doing. i.e: causing an upset by beating a world cup / European cup winner!

In the end what is the purpose and goal of Iran in a world cup? Is it to progress far? Is it to win the world cup?

I think not. I see people here praying for teams like Panama and Poland as if we have a decent chance of going to the next round )

Iran and countries like Iran must chase for upsets which w ill go down in history.

what is the point of having an easy group and getting knocked out quietly after three games? But the world remembers upsets for decades to come.

Besides when is the next time we can go to the world cup let alone having a good team with a good coach?

This is a god-given chance. The pressure is off. if we lose, we bow out with pride and in the unlikely event of a win or draw versus Spain or Portugal, we will go down in history and our football as a whole will change one gear up!

In a tournament like the Asian Cup, we must hope for easy groups because we know we have a chance to win the whole thing and we want to avoid stronger teams. But in a world cup, we are lucky to get grouped with giants!

peace

I agree that upsets are always memorable: who here does not remember with pride the TM win over US in 1998 (best feeling at a world cup for TM, ever).

Comment

we can beat them, however we have to beat morroco so we have the confidence and cusion to take risks

Comment

Also our players will get much more exposure this way, and it will increase their chances of signing with good teams.
        --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
        --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
        ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
        --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
        ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

I agree. Its not a big deal to make the knockout stage in a garbage group. But if we could upset one of the two big teams it will send shock waves throughout the football world...
          "Formerly known as AliDaeiClone"

Comment

I view these matches as semi final, quarter final & final in WC.
            Best exposure for the kids
            "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."~Bruce Lee

Comment

I have been saying this sincr before the draw. I rather see HOW we play vs. world class players and its the best chance for our young players to get picked up. Possibly Azmoun’s last chance to redeem himself after his Kazan disaster this year.
              Ezatollahi, Ghoddos, Jahanbakhsh have the best chances to get a good top 5 league contract. Ansarifard and Hajsafi can probably do something too. Im super excited. Didnt care to play poland denmark serbia iceland or whoever.

I just wish Morocco was the 2nd game, not the 1st

Comment

I wanted an easier group so we can have a chance to just go to the next round. I would be extremely happy with that, because for us- that in itself would be an achievement. Why? because that would be the furthest we'd have gone in our history (how many world cup wins do we have in our history? I was 2 years old the last time we won a wc game!), it shows progress, it gets the attention of european clubs watching our talents closely. Going to the ro16 also means another game for us, we stay longer and who knows- maybe if group B wasn't such a disaster we might have even had a chance against whoever comes first in group A. Instead, there is a good chance that we're the first, or one of the first teams to go home. Putting up a fight against a top team like Argentina or Spain is all well and admirable, but what did it do for us? Almost nothing. Everyone thinks back to our last world cup campaign as Argentina having a bad game not being able to break down Iran and Messi bailed them out and then getting dicked by Bosnia- when in reality, it was a remarkable performance by us in a game where we could have not only drew, but won due to our great chances and penalty shout that no one apart from us remembers. None of our players got scouted or anything from that game either. Results are what matter.. Anything is possible if we perform like that, but that was a day that every single player played the game of their lives which is rare. 9 times out of 10, when there is a huge gulf in talent and quality between two teams- it ends up only one way- there is only so much a coach can do.
                This world cup, we have a good mixture of youth, experience, and plenty of depth but most importantly is Carlos Quieroz who (as I understand) will be leaving after this world cup. There is a good chance that this was the chance for us in a long time to make an impact in a world cup, to go to the next round, to go as deep as possible. Unfortunately, this shithouse group greatly reduces our chances of that happening. I'm not writing off our chances of going to the next round by the way, before someone jumps down my throat and tells me to stop supporting my country. I'm just explaining why many Iranians like myself aren't over the moon about this group, especially considering the absolute joke of a group Japan got considering they were in pot 4. I don't care about the "experience" or priveldge of playing in front of Iniesta and Ramos like I've heard circling around lately- be jahanamo darak. I care about the success of TM and being in a group where the European champions aren't even close to being the strongest team in our group is a bit disheartening.
                Chelsea FC || Esteghlal || Team Melli

Comment

I totally agree. Good post.

Comment

Japan and Saudi Arabia Soosmars got the easiest groups ever 😡😡😡😖😖😖

Comment

Good post!

Comment

Originally posted by Arshia42 View Post
                        I wanted an easier group so we can have a chance to just go to the next round. I would be extremely happy with that, because for us- that in itself would be an achievement. Why? because that would be the furthest we'd have gone in our history (how many world cup wins do we have in our history? I was 2 years old the last time we won a wc game!), it shows progress, it gets the attention of european clubs watching our talents closely. Going to the ro16 also means another game for us, we stay longer and who knows- maybe if group B wasn't such a disaster we might have even had a chance against whoever comes first in group A. Instead, there is a good chance that we're the first, or one of the first teams to go home. Putting up a fight against a top team like Argentina or Spain is all well and admirable, but what did it do for us? Almost nothing. Everyone thinks back to our last world cup campaign as Argentina having a bad game not being able to break down Iran and Messi bailed them out and then getting dicked by Bosnia- when in reality, it was a remarkable performance by us in a game where we could have not only drew, but won due to our great chances and penalty shout that no one apart from us remembers. None of our players got scouted or anything from that game either. Results are what matter.. Anything is possible if we perform like that, but that was a day that every single player played the game of their lives which is rare. 9 times out of 10, when there is a huge gulf in talent and quality between two teams- it ends up only one way- there is only so much a coach can do.
                        This world cup, we have a good mixture of youth, experience, and plenty of depth but most importantly is Carlos Quieroz who (as I understand) will be leaving after this world cup. There is a good chance that this was the chance for us in a long time to make an impact in a world cup, to go to the next round, to go as deep as possible. Unfortunately, this shithouse group greatly reduces our chances of that happening. I'm not writing off our chances of going to the next round by the way, before someone jumps down my throat and tells me to stop supporting my country. I'm just explaining why many Iranians like myself aren't over the moon about this group, especially considering the absolute joke of a group Japan got considering they were in pot 4. I don't care about the "experience" or priveldge of playing in front of Iniesta and Ramos like I've heard circling around lately- be jahanamo darak. I care about the success of TM and being in a group where the European champions aren't even close to being the strongest team in our group is a bit disheartening.
                        disagree

whats the point of going to the next round? are there going ot be easy teams in the next round too? how is progressing to the next round sign of "progress" in our football. making it to the world cup is the roof of our national football unfortunately. we still need to take many baby steps like winning the Asian cup in order to count as "progress".

theoretically if we finish third however cause an upset and not allow either Spain or Portugal to qualify is a much much bigger success than actually making it to the next round in a group like group 1 for example.

besides, I do not see how our chances would be any higher or lower in any of the other groups. all 32 teams are strong and the top 2 teams in every group are miles ahead of Iran. so there is not a single group where you can give Iran a more than even chance to qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadi View Post
                          disagree
                          whats the point of going to the next round? are there going ot be easy teams in the next round too? how is progressing to the next round sign of "progress" in our football. making it to the world cup is the roof of our national football unfortunately. we still need to take many baby steps like winning the Asian cup in order to count as "progress".
                          theoretically if we finish third however cause an upset and not allow either Spain or Portugal to qualify is a much much bigger success than actually making it to the next round in a group like group 1 for example.
                          besides, I do not see how our chances would be any higher or lower in any of the other groups. all 32 teams are strong and the top 2 teams in every group are miles ahead of Iran. so there is not a single group where you can give Iran a more than even chance to qualify.
                          I don't see any respect from the world for Australia -the current asian champion) who was in group of death last time (with very decent performance against Chile, Holland & less against Spain).
                          Nobody remember deserving losers, specially after several years. I don't see lot of reference about our good performance against Argentina last time before the draw when France, Germany, England, etc.. want to be grouped with Iran for easy points. In the contrary people remember Algeria for qualifying from a mickey mouse group last time.

About the post regarding Azmoun, JB and other getting picked by ggod team, I smell all these players will start to play "Zorro", try to dribble all the opposite team (iranian cancer) while at the contrary we need to play collective.

Yes nothing is guarantied against Poland or Colombia but if Portugal & Spain decide to go fast & furious against us, all the azmoun & CQ of earth won't be enough to contain them (let alone shine).

Comment

I agree with your post. The United States, with quite frankly, inferior talent, was able to come out of the group of death (Germany, Portugal, and Ghana). I don't see why it would be impossible for us to do the same.

Comment

This group is only beneficial if we make it to the next round. But if we end up with 1 or 2 points and go home. Nobody will remember.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

BARCELONA-IRAAAN-PERSPOLIS
                              CITY

Comment

Working...
                              X