This is the best draw Iran could ever hope for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shahin K View Post
    This group is only beneficial if we make it to the next round. But if we end up with 1 or 2 points and go home. Nobody will remember.
    Hence the need for an upset of a big-name team.

Comment

Why do some of you care if we cause an upset? To me, its much more enjoyable, memorable and historic if we FINALLY get out of the group stage.

I don't care about playing big teams, for the love of god I just want us to increase our grand total of 1 win at the WC and make it out of the group stage. It is so disheartening for me every time I hear a commentator mention that we have never got out of the group stage and we have just 1 win at the WC.

Sure we had a great game against Argentina but at the end we ended up with 0 points from that game and once again eliminated at the group stage. Therefore, I would MUCH prefer facing an easier group, increasing our win total at the WC and making it out of the group stage.

Comment

Who remembers great displays and close loses or draws in the World cup. The only thing that matters is winning and making the next round. All I know is that this group of death has diminished the chances of Iran making the next round, I am not saying it is impossible but diminished our chances. Let us say Japan makes it to the next round, no one will say they did it from an easy group, they will be remembered that they went to the round of 16, and with the group they have there is a higher chance they can make it to the next round. I would have liked TM to be in that position, not make a valiant effort but finish with 1 draw or 2 draws and go home after the 1st round.

In any case, we are where we are and have to make the most of it, if we do make the next round from this group then we will be breaking new ground, not only for us but the whole of Asia. Do Dorodo IRAN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sarbaz View Post
          Japan and Saudi Arabia Soosmars got the easiest groups ever 😡😡😡😖😖😖
          AGREE WITH YOU! AND I FEEL IT IS A SET UP BY FIFA

Comment

This is a fantastic draw from so many perspectives (exposure for iranian football, opportunity for la liga clubs to find out more about iranian players, and who knows, maybe a surprise...) AS LONG AS we don't underestimate the tactical unit which is Morocco. That needs to be a world cup final for us.

Comment

Actually if this world cup is going to be our World Cup, then we got the perfect group for it. As I have said before in related threads, if we want to make history and be the sensation of this world cup, we can achieve that with a couple of good result already in group stage. Advancing from our group will be one of the biggest sensations of this world cup. And our young prospects will get a perfect exposure and a good chance to transfer to La Liga.
              sigpic

Zendeh bad IRAN
              >-----------------<
              Marg bar dictator
              >-----------------<

Comment

Originally posted by Persian-Pride87 View Post
                Why do some of you care if we cause an upset? To me, its much more enjoyable, memorable and historic if we FINALLY get out of the group stage.
                I don't care about playing big teams, for the love of god I just want us to increase our grand total of 1 win at the WC and make it out of the group stage. It is so disheartening for me every time I hear a commentator mention that we have never got out of the group stage and we have just 1 win at the WC.
                Sure we had a great game against Argentina but at the end we ended up with 0 points from that game and once again eliminated at the group stage. Therefore, I would MUCH prefer facing an easier group, increasing our win total at the WC and making it out of the group stage.
                Very well said. I think a lot of people fail to see how our standards are different from other teams. To us, the world cup is getting out of the group, or getting a win or 2. That is a victory, we can be proud of that.
                Chelsea FC || Esteghlal || Team Melli

Comment

Originally posted by Hadi View Post
                  disagree
                  whats the point of going to the next round? are there going ot be easy teams in the next round too? how is progressing to the next round sign of "progress" in our football. making it to the world cup is the roof of our national football unfortunately. we still need to take many baby steps like winning the Asian cup in order to count as "progress".
                  theoretically if we finish third however cause an upset and not allow either Spain or Portugal to qualify is a much much bigger success than actually making it to the next round in a group like group 1 for example.
                  besides, I do not see how our chances would be any higher or lower in any of the other groups. all 32 teams are strong and the top 2 teams in every group are miles ahead of Iran. so there is not a single group where you can give Iran a more than even chance to qualify.
                  Chi chi what is the point of going to the next round? It means we won a game or two. In case you haven't noticed, we have 1 WC win in our entire history. It means we went the furthest we ever have in the world cup. That, by definition, is an improvement. It is an achievement for a country like ours who doesn't have the talent of other countries. Our ambitions are not to win the world cup, it is to make a mark, to improve from our past. If we go to the next round, that is a very satisfying world cup for us, our standards are different to other teams.

And yes, there are other groups where we would have had a better chance. The teams are strong, but one of the teams in our group is the champions of europe and the other is top 3 in the world. The likes of Poland, Russia from group A and Peru, England from pot 2 would have given us a much better chance. Not saying we would have qualified if we had these teams, no, im saying that Spain are just far likelier to get the expected result against us than those teams.

Comment

1- I like the purpose of the thread and agree with Hadi that creating an upset is the big prize for teams like us.

2- But the premise of him discounting us wanting (now, irrelevant) an easy group is to at least advance through to the next stage, which by itself is another form of achievement for teams and nations like us.

what's wrong with having an easy group so we advance and THEN cause an upset in the next round?

3- I also dont see why you automatically assume we'd not have advanced had it been an easy group when you said : "what is the point of having an easy group and getting knocked out quietly after three games?".
                    I mean the whole point of wanting an easy group is becoz we feel we would have a chance at advancing, and notching up an unprecedented achievement.

But, I tend to agree that now that we've been given a tough group, creating an upset is just as note-worthy goal for us as any

Comment

^ the problem with your argument is that in the world cup, there are no easy groups for a team like Iran.
                      we will have very little chance of qualifying no matter which group we are placed in.
                      So in the end, I'd rather be in the group of death so that in case of a miracle we manage to cause an upset (or even better, qualify), our name will go down in history.

the Iran-Argentina game is still famous to this day among football fans even though we lost. However our draw versus Nigeria and Angola are some of the most forgettable matches in the world cup.

Comment

This group is only beneficial if we make it to the next round. But if we end up with 1 or 2 points and go home. Nobody will remember.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk
                        strongly disagree. A draw (not even a win) versus Spain or Portugal will be remembered especially if it stops either of them qualifying to the next round

Comment

Originally posted by Hadi View Post
                          ^ the problem with your argument is that in the world cup, there are no easy groups for a team like Iran.
                          we will have very little chance of qualifying no matter which group we are placed in.
                          So in the end, I'd rather be in the group of death so that in case of a miracle we manage to cause an upset (or even better, qualify), our name will go down in history.
                          the Iran-Argentina game is still famous to this day among football fans even though we lost. However our draw versus Nigeria and Angola are some of the most forgettable matches in the world cup.
                          There are no easy groups, but there are groups that are possible to advance from, and other groups where we are very unlikely to advance from. It's not like every team that qualified is Spain or European champion level. There is a difference between a team like Spain and a team like Peru. There is a difference between a team like Brazil and a team like Poland. Whereas some teams Iran would need a miracle to win against, other teams we would stand a decent chance to get a result against, even if it isn't very likely. Japan has a decent chance of advancing, is it likely? not necessarily, but they have far greater odds than us of advancing because of the group they are in, even if Iran are a stronger team than Japan.
                          And the Iran-Argentina game is only famous amongst Iranians for our performance. Most other fans just remember it as "Messi rescues Argentina again" from a shit argentine performance or something along those lines.
                          Also, it's not like being in an easier group completely removes the possibility of causing an upset to a giant. If we actually stay in the world cup for longer than 3 games for once, the next team we play against will likely be a team that is much stronger then us in which case there is the opportunity to upset them.

Comment

Originally posted by shahname View Post
                            Actually if this world cup is going to be our World Cup, then we got the perfect group for it. As I have said before in related threads, if we want to make history and be the sensation of this world cup, we can achieve that with a couple of good result already in group stage. Advancing from our group will be one of the biggest sensations of this world cup. And our young prospects will get a perfect exposure and a good chance to transfer to La Liga.
                            We will be making history and will become a sensation in the world cup if we qualify to the next round from any group - even the easiest group. So why start by being on the back foot by being in a very, very tough group. I don't agree that this is the best scenario for TM by being in this group when our aim is to qualify to the next round. This group severely hampers that aim. It would have been better if we were in an easier group like Japan or Saudi Arabia are in.

Comment

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk
                              Ofcourse people will remember, specially if the points comes from the games against Portugal or Spain. People still remember the game against Argentina even though we lost the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Essi View Post
                                Ofcourse people will remember, specially if the points comes from the games against Portugal or Spain. People still remember the game against Argentina even though we lost the game.
                                How many remember what NZ did in 2010 WC? Three draws against all odds. One of the teams in the group was Italy. Do you remember the rest without googling it? I would think not. Even if some do most wouldnt.

Comment

Working...
                                X