ESPN's Roger Bennett reflects on Iran-USA game in 1998

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESPN's Roger Bennett reflects on Iran-USA game in 1998

Was listening to NPR and there was ESPN's Roger Bennett speaking of two major blows to US football (I refuse to use the term soccer. Let them use "Hand-egg").
    Seems a lot of ppl deem their loss to Iran as a historically significant one! Along with their failure to qualify for Russia.
    Enough for the chap to write a book about!

http://8by8mag.com/american-fiasco/

Men in Blazer’s Roger Bennett previews American Fiasco, a new podcast from WNYC Studios about the United States’ calamitous 1998 World Cup campaign.

Two of the worst results in American men’s soccer history were both 2-1 losses. All U.S. soccer fans remember with awful clarity the catastrophic 2017 loss to Trinidad and Tobago that kept the USMNT from qualifying for this summer’s World Cup. Less familiar, however, is the U.S. team’s 2-1 loss to Iran in the 1998 World Cup, which ended the World Cup dreams of a talented and ambitious American squad after just two matches.
    The disaster of the U.S. team at the 1998 World Cup in France is the subject of American Fiasco, a new podcast produced by Roger Bennett and WNYC Studios. .....
    Ctd

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
    (I refuse to use the term soccer. Let them use "Hand-egg").

I dont like the term soccer either (when I am talking to non americans )
    But the reason they call it (hand-egg) football is because its a “foot long ball”.

PS: Philly Eagles sarvareh Patriots e.
    Brady bayaad Berakhseh!
    Brady, Brady haya Kon, Tokmeh Morgh o Raha Kon!
    CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

I, too refuse to call it 'soccer'. And on that topic, I simply call it 'American Rugby'

I do have to say USMNT today is much different than those years - Iran's '98 team was very talented itself. Today, USMNT manages to get impressive results (i.e. against France, Holland, etc.) but it hasn't been in matches that actually count. Good luck to them.

Comment

In that particular game twenty years ago, Iranians were a little bit more clever in terms of taking advantage of their opportunities to score two goals and the way they controlled the game after they scored each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Irandoust View Post
          In that particular game twenty years ago, Iranians were a little bit more clever in terms of taking advantage of their opportunities to score two goals and the way they controlled the game after they scored each time.
          Clever yes but I don't think we've had a team before or since as physically fit as that '98 squad. And to be fair that particular US team was quite a strong one. The Yugoslavia game was a shame however because that was a weak side with a lot of internal turmoil. We really should have won that one.

Comment

Despite all the shortages that our preparations have had, I think this current side is the best team that we have had since the 98 squad in terms of being fit, motivated and united.

Comment

20 years ago, Sampson (coach) completely underestimated Iran. He formed a 361 formation thinking he was going to walk in with a 7 man attack and pour on the goals. Obviosly, Zarinche/Estili and Daei/Mahdavikia had different idea.
              I remember that game so vividly like it was yesterday.
              "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."~Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by puddha View Post
                20 years ago, Sampson (coach) completely underestimated Iran. He formed a 361 formation thinking he was going to walk in with a 7 man attack and pour on the goals. Obviosly, Zarinche/Estili and Daei/Mahdavikia had different idea.
                I remember that game so vividly like it was yesterday.
                yep. and that fundamentally has been the problem for US soccer across the board. Until they had Klinsmann they'd approach their games with a certain arrogance and strategy that they need to get rid of - they wouldn't adapt and they'd expect good results because of physical superiority. Their game against France this week is a good example of a team knowing its limits and playing within its capabilities and plan tactics accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                X