X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Open Letter To Team-e Meli

Dear Team Meli,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

The World Cup is a special time for Iranians to celebrate and unite. It does not matter what ethnic/religious group you belong to, what political ideology you have, if you were born in Iran or have never even been to Iran at all - regardless of your connection to Iran, it is a time to put everything aside and cheer on Team Meli and unite as one.

The truth is, in 2018, when you hear or read the word "Iran" it is not always talked about in a fond way. You will often hear talks about sanctions, political clashes with the United States, and a depiction of a place that people might just want to avoid all around. But Team Meli doesn't allow these negative connotations to persist.

You gave us a reason to be happy, a reason to cry tears of happiness, and a reason for us to be proud. For that, I thoroughly thank you.

Let's talk about character for a second. Let's talk about grit and determination. Let's talk about beating the odds and kicking adversity in the face. I'm talking about some admirable journeys and obstacles some individuals have faced en route to wearing the shirt for Team Meli. Alireza Beiranvand swept the streets of Tehran, worked in pizza shops, washed cars, and battled homelessness before finding a place in Naft Tehran where he would flourish and make a name for himself domestically. Morteza Pouraliganji would wait on the street corners of his native Ganj Afruz for a familiar face to drive by and ask for a ride to his soccer practices because he couldn't afford a 100-200 toman ride (a few cents). Vahid Amiri worked his way up from some of the lowest ranks of Iranian football (where sometimes players don't even get paid) and successfully got a degree in law while also continuing his football career. These characters make up who we are as a team and who we are as people - some of the most resilient people there are on the planet.

The challenges you faced as a unit throughout this journey to Russia was unlike anything a World Cup participant has ever had to endure. From being severely impacted by international sanctions (resulting in lack of funds for friendlies, preparations, etc.) to being told by Nike not to wear their products - you didn't you didn't let any of this stop you from beating the odds. None of it mattered - all that mattered was that you would do everything to make Iranians around the world happy with your performances on the pitch. And you did just that - you gave Iranians all around the world a reason to smile and a reason to unite as one.

When we were drawn into the same group as the European champions (Portugal), one of the world's strongest teams (Spain), and the only team in the world to qualify for the World Cup without conceding a goal + one of Africa's finest teams (Morocco) not many gave us a chance to get more than (maybe) a point. But that didn't stop you from believing - you knew all along that with your hard work and dedication to the shirt of Team Meli you would make Iranians proud. Thank you for your efforts, thank you for your dedication, and thank you for your beautiful display in Russia. Iranians all over the world are united, proud, and have a reason to smile now more than ever because of you.

WE LOVE YOU!!!!
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

The love Iranians have for their history and their nation will outlast the last drop of water that evaporates from the oceans.

Comment

Originally posted by somebuffguy View Post
      The love Iranians have for their history and their nation will outlast the last drop of water that evaporates from the oceans.
      This!!
      Team Meli Iran
      Perspolis FC
      Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

I have been sad since yesterday, in tears, and looking at Taremi's pic after the game all over. I cant forget it, the love for this team and these boys is so strong, nothing can compare to it. I am out of words. Have been following this team step by step since WC 2006, every game, every interview, news, video, picture. Team Melli, hamishe asheghet hastam! Bacheha, shoma baesse eftekhare yek mellat hastid!

Comment

Working...
        X