Iran-Iraq, 1989 Peace and Friendship Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran-Iraq, 1989 Peace and Friendship Cup

This was the first match between the two country after the ceasefire The match had been played in a tournament(Iran was in group B with Iraq, Guinea, Yemen and Group A was with the host, Kuwait, Uganda, and Lebanon) and despite being a friendly, there was lot of tension and attention around from all over the world. The match ended 0-0. Iraq as well as Kuwait had very strong team around that time. Uganda won the tournament, we lost to them in P.K(no surprise i guess lol), and we lost the 3rd place to Kuwait.
    Iran line up in this match:
    Abedzadeh
    Zarincheh-Panjali(C)- Morteza Fononizadeh-Moharrami
    Eftekhari-Ansarifard
    Namjoo-Gheyghran-Abtahi
    Shahrokh Bayani

Parvin used very conservative line-up in this match, i guess he was afraid to lose it, so Shahrokh Bayani started as the striker. later on Reza Abedian came as sub.

Here is what Parvin said about this match:
    https://tamasha.com/v/LEJLz

The Iranian TV station showed the game after the game had ended although they insisted it was live. They offered no explanation as to why the teams went straight to the second half with no break upon conclusion of the first half.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
      The Iranian TV station showed the game after the game had ended although they insisted it was live. They offered no explanation as to why the teams went straight to the second half with no break upon conclusion of the first half.
      Yup, i remember that.

I can't remember why Pious didn't make the squad for the tournament, do you remember?

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
        Yup, i remember that.

I can't remember why Pious didn't make the squad for the tournament, do you remember?
        He was playing in qatar and Parvin was only using domestic players. Not that we had that many legionnaires anyway.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

He was playing in qatar and Parvin was only using domestic players. Not that we had that many legionnaires anyway.
          Not sure Derakhshan didn't make it for same reason, he wasn't around TM for quite sometime after the conflict with Dehdari and up to 1994 WCQ!

Comment

Not sure Derakhshan didn't make it for same reason, he wasn't around TM for quite sometime after the conflict with Dehdari and up to 1994 WCQ!
            I think Derakhshan was pretty much out of the picture at that point although Parvin gradually brought him in as he did with pretty much the entire Persepolis roster.

Comment

short highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO8R9EhwkvM

Comment

I think Derakhshan was pretty much out of the picture at that point although Parvin gradually brought him in as he did with pretty much the entire Persepolis roster.
                I still don't get this! At around 33-34 during the first round of WCQ 1994, he was probably our best player. obviously everyone other than Daei sucked during the 2nd round disappointing tournament for us!

Comment

Some notes:

1. Iran topped the group

2. Iraq won the tournament not Uganda.

3. Michel Platini (French and Juventus Star), Juan Antonio Samaranch (Head of IOC) and João Havelange (President of FIFA) watched that game live at the stadium.

4. Reza Ahadi, Shahrokh Bayani, Shahin Bayani and Mohammad Panjali were the only former Team Melli players who returned to Team Melli from voluntary retirement for that tournament. Derakhshan and Nasser Mohammadkhani still were playing in Qatar League and not made their return to Team Melli at that time.

Comment

I really enjoy these posts about Iran’s football history. As my only knowledge of the national team pre 98 World Cup qualifiers is highlights of there games in the 78 World Cup, so thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by rooyintan View Post
                      Some notes:
                      1. Iran topped the group
                      2. Iraq won the tournament not Uganda.
                      3. Michel Platini (French and Juventus Star), Juan Antonio Samaranch (Head of IOC) and João Havelange (President of FIFA) watched that game live at the stadium.
                      4. Reza Ahadi, Shahrokh Bayani, Shahin Bayani and Mohammad Panjali were the only former Team Melli players who returned to Team Melli from voluntary retirement for that tournament. Derakhshan and Nasser Mohammadkhani still were playing in Qatar League and not made their return to Team Melli at that time.
                      You are right Iraq won in P.K in final and not Uganda.
                      Nasser Mohammadkhani and Shahin Bayani came back for 1990 Asian games that we won the title, both weren't as good as their prime days.

Comment

You are right Iraq won in P.K in final and not Uganda.
                        Nasser Mohammadkhani and Shahin Bayani came back for 1990 Asian games that we won the title, both weren't as good as their prime days.
                        Yes, you are right about Shahin Bayani he was not in the team for 1989 Peace & Friendship.

I liked that tournament it was like a mini World Cup for West Asia-Africa teams

Comment

Were there any other P&F tournaments?
                          sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
                            Were there any other P&F tournaments?
                            The tournament was for muslim countries. I think it may have evolved into the Islamic Solidarity Games although that also seems to have died ever since the 8-0ers began crying about the medals having Persian Gulf written on them.
                            Edit: I see the Islamic Solidarity Games are still being held.

Comment

Working...
                            X