Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Qualifiers - Other Games Thread (AFC & beyond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
    After a full day of watching African WCQs I have to say it hits me even more now how much of a shame it is that one of the two between Senegal and Egypt won’t be at the WC. Easily the two most organized teams in Africa which the results showed in the latest AFCON and reinforced today for anyone who was following and watching closely.
    Agreed. Both are deserving. The result means the return leg will be a cracker!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Cannot believe we lost Carlos Queiroz for Dragan friggin’ Skocic.

What a downgrade! Thank you IR and Mehdi Taj.
      "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

The very fact CQ in such a short space of time reorganized a faltering egypt team that couldnt beat libya and gabon, got them to AFCON final where they only lost on PKs to Senegal, and now beat them in 1st leg of WCQ is very telling.

Egypt are not on Senegal's level on paper. One look at their respective rosters shows that. He has already identified multiple new young players and trusted them with highly critical xi spots (Abdelmoneim, Marmoush, Fattouh).

They fight tooth and nail for each other on the pitch and knows their job.

Even on each Senegalese try from range, down to the very last seconds, Egyptians were throwing their bodies around on the ground trying to force a bad shot. Meanwhile yesterday, the best player in asia recieves the ball, turns, advances 15 yards, and unleashes a shot without ONE single player out of 5 (!) nearby applying any serious pressure. If you want to see the difference in quality of coach look no further. These are basics that have nothing to do with the quality of the players.

Comment

G
          Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
          The very fact CQ in such a short space of time reorganized a faltering egypt team that couldnt beat libya and gabon, got them to AFCON final where they only lost on PKs to Senegal, and now beat them in 1st leg of WCQ is very telling.

Egypt are not on Senegal's level on paper. One look at their respective rosters shows that. He has already identified multiple new young players and trusted them with highly critical xi spots (Abdelmoneim, Marmoush, Fattouh).

Even on each Senegalese try from range, down to the very last seconds, Egyptians were throwing their bodies around on the ground trying to force a bad shot. Meanwhile yesterday, the best player in asia recieves the ball, turns, advances 15 yards, and unleashes a shot without ONE single player out of 5 (!) nearby applying any serious pressure. If you want to see the difference in quality of coach look no further. These are basics that have nothing to do with the quality of the players.
          Even the best teams will have a very hard time breaking down this Egyptian team.
          "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

All fair comments...but also recognize what happened in Columbia. They have improved massively since CQs departure. Didn't they lose a match in WCQ 6-1 with CQ...Egypts job is not done yet.

"Joojeh -ha akhareh paiez mishmarand"

Comment

Iran can still get pot 2.

Japan is now ranked above Iran. There is a slim chance that Iran could overtake Japan. There is only 1.5 points between them and if FIFA awards a little more points for a win against Lebanon than what Japan earns if they beat Vietnam, then Iran goes back up to 21.
              Or else, Japan needs to draw or lose to Vietnam while Iran wins against Lebanon.

If one of the above happen, then Iran only needs 3 of the following 4 outcomes to get pot 2.

Based on the current situation, the following 4 outcomes must happen:

1) Portugal doesn't qualify. This is very unlikely but possible considering that North Macedonia beat Germany and eliminated Italy.

2) USA or Mexico end up 4th or don't qualify. Unlikely to happen but between the two, there is a higher chance for USA to end up 4th because their last two games are against Costa Rica and Panama.

3) Sweden doesn't qualify. This could likely happen because Sweden is facing a rested Poland team away.

4) Senegal doesn't qualify. Considering that they lost today, it is very possible that they don't qualify.
              #BanNoorafkan

Comment

we will for sure be Pot 3 in the end, but so be it

hopefully we draw US, Swiss, Mexico maybe even Denmark. as long. as we dont face a team with a lot of fire power we will be ok, and for Pot 4 if we get a team like Panama it could work out

for Pot 1, we are SOL because the host is an asian team, every other team in there is a monster, so it will still be fun to see!

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
                  All fair comments...but also recognize what happened in Columbia. They have improved massively since CQs departure. Didn't they lose a match in WCQ 6-1 with CQ...Egypts job is not done yet.

"Joojeh -ha akhareh paiez mishmarand"

I think Colombia are not that great since CQ removal either. They have only won 2 matches out of 11 qualifiers since removing CQ (Lost 3 and tied the rest). Im not sure if thats a massive improvement.

Having said that I do not think it was a great fit to begin with. CQ gives players limited freedom and has a highly regimented system which really goes against inherent nature of colombian players. on the other hand such tactical setup works wonders for the likes of Egypt and Iran and allows them to compete at a higher level than they would be able to normally (as evidenced by Iran getting record points tally at WC, pushing likes of Spain, Portugal, Morocco, far superior teams all the way). We are seeing this again with Egypt.

And with regards to your last comment I never said their job was done. I still fancy senegal although it will be a close return leg. I just dont think that Egypt's squad is anything special compared to Senegals, which highlights the gains CQ has been able to make in short space of time. The performance tonight + those in AFCON shows that it is not a fluke either, but part of a recurring pattern with this CQ led egypt side. They can raise their game and prove to be a very difficult nut to crack for teams on the continent with far superior personnel.

Comment

Does anyone have any updates on Daniel Arzani, the young Iranian who played for the Socceroos in WC 2018?

Comment

Originally posted by shahin2000 View Post
                      Does anyone have any updates on Daniel Arzani, the young Iranian who played for the Socceroos in WC 2018?
                      He's hanging out with Tommy St Jago on his insta story:
                      https://www.instagram.com/iamdanielarzani/?hl=en

Fallen off the radar in football since his ACL injury

S - E - C - U - L - A - R - I - S - M

Comment

Originally posted by Preezy View Post
                        Japan is now ranked above Iran. There is a slim chance that Iran could overtake Japan. There is only 1.5 points between them and if FIFA awards a little more points for a win against Lebanon than what Japan earns if they beat Vietnam, then Iran goes back up to 21.
                        Or else, Japan needs to draw or lose to Vietnam while Iran wins against Lebanon.
                        Japan gets 5.13 points if they beat Vietnam, and we get 5.30 points if we beat Lebanon. So we cannot overtake Japan unless they lose or draw to Vietnam

Comment

I think Colombia are not that great since CQ removal either. They have only won 2 matches out of 11 qualifiers since removing CQ (Lost 3 and tied the rest). Im not sure if thats a massive improvement.

Having said that I do not think it was a great fit to begin with. CQ gives players limited freedom and has a highly regimented system which really goes against inherent nature of colombian players. on the other hand such tactical setup works wonders for the likes of Egypt and Iran and allows them to compete at a higher level than they would be able to normally (as evidenced by Iran getting record points tally at WC, pushing likes of Spain, Portugal, Morocco, far superior teams all the way). We are seeing this again with Egypt.

And with regards to your last comment I never said their job was done. I still fancy senegal although it will be a close return leg. I just dont think that Egypt's squad is anything special compared to Senegals, which highlights the gains CQ has been able to make in short space of time. The performance tonight + those in AFCON shows that it is not a fluke either, but part of a recurring pattern with this CQ led egypt side. They can raise their game and prove to be a very difficult nut to crack for teams on the continent with far superior personnel.
                          Some of the ties are impressive. They drew Brazil for example. They can qualify for WC still but this was not looking so good when CQ was in charge. They have picked up enough points to have a slim chance. They are a point behind Peru for the playoff spot. They face last place Venezuala while Peru has Paraguay next.

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
                            He was subbed out, it was a serious injury that did not allow him to continue after further evaluation.
                            An update: Mohamed Abdelmoneim broke his nose (as expected) and 'needs an urgent operation tonight’.

Comment

Oceania semifinal qualifiers

Solomon Islands vs Papua New Guinea - 7 am PT
                              https://elevensports.com/en/view/eve...ld0jfs7e4dwm5l

New Zealand vs Tahiti - 10:30 am PT
                              https://elevensports.com/en/view/eve...sm0jfsig88csic

S - E - C - U - L - A - R - I - S - M

Comment

Italy's WC record

2010 - group stage exit
                                2014 - group stage exit
                                2018 - didn't qualify
                                2022 - didn't qualify

Comment

Working...
                                X