Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Qualifiers - Other Games Thread (AFC & beyond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia wins over Peru by a tiny margin of 5:4 on penalties after 90 + 2x15 mins extra time, thanks to some crazy antics by their substitute goaly Andrew Redmayne.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
      Australia qualify!!!

Big win for AFC to have one of their teams beat a South American team. Looks great for Asian football and those who like to talk trash about it are choking on their words now
      They rarely mention it as a “win” for Asian football. They talk of Australia in terms of Aussie football—if they do mention Asian, it’s usually comparing them to Japan and South Korea——maybe the saudis sometimes too

Comment

Very happy a team from Asia made it. Some here were thinking that Peru would easily win. Don’t overestimate South American teams. Only Brazil, Argentina and perhaps Uruguay are strong, the rest are on par with Asian teams.

The 5th Asian team eliminated the 5th South American team.

Comment

AFC with 5 spots in the world cup. I think this is a first.

Now let's have Iran go to the round of 16 to further boost the AFC rating!

Comment

Originally posted by ParthianDE View Post

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but we have Skocic

Comment

6 if you include Qatar - the most Asian teams ever at a World Cup. And it says a lot that the play off team was able to beat a South American team.
              Team Meli Iran
              Perspolis FC
              Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

I am hoping New Zealand makes it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Damavand View Post
                  I am hoping New Zealand makes it tomorrow.
                  I think they will win and if they do that should end the debate of AFC vs CONCACAFF on which one is better.
                  Team Meli Iran
                  Perspolis FC
                  Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                    6 if you include Qatar - the most Asian teams ever at a World Cup. And it says a lot that the play off team was able to beat a South American team.
                    Thanks for the correction. 6 AFC teams is even more incredible!

Skocic or no Skocic, lets go TM to the round of 16!

Comment

Happy australia won, i have another team to cheer for in the WC and dreaming is free as far as Iran reaching round of 16 is concerned

Comment

If there is something to learn from every game it is that mentality is key.

If our players are shell shocked at the whistle with England we are dead before the game starts. We need a plan, emphasizingnour strengths and we need to rattle these teams in our group that tend to be overconfident of themselves.

If we hold off an assault in the first half, they will start to get anxious because they worry about their media etc trashing them.

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
                          If our players are shell shocked at the whistle with England we are dead before the game starts. We need a plan, emphasizingnour strengths and we need to rattle these teams in our group that tend to be overconfident of themselves.
                          If we hold off an assault in the first half, they will start to get anxious because they worry about their media etc trashing them.
                          Yes, Australians are like Americans in that sense. They always believe they can win. Even when they're terrible.

Comment

S - E - C - U - L - A - R - I - S - M

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post

To hold off an assault in the first half requires both planning and readiness on Irans part. The way the team is shaping up right now we have none of that. They fast press will starve us of any possession, the constant raids and overlaps will throw our already fragile defensive lines out of shape creating lot of space for England to pepper shots on goal. One goal early on and possibly the flood gates will open and the prediction 'Its Iranian men, hallelujah!' will come true. It can get ugly.

Comment

That was a smart substitution by Graham Arnold to change the goalkeeper for the penalty shootout.

Comment

Working...
                                X