X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragan Skočić interview with Croatian media

https://www.vecernji.hr/sport/hrvat-...sam-se-1531075

HE WAS DRIVEN BY EMOTIONS

Croat on the giant's bench: When I saw that the Iranians paid tribute to Cica, I cried

- It has nothing to do with football and tactics, this man was simply wonderful as a person.

After playing 1: 1 with the strong South Korea led by Heung-min Son in the most demanding match so far , Croatian expert on the bench of Iran Dragan Skočić continues to walk towards the World Cup in Qatar next year in his incredible series of invincibility.

The fourth Croatian coach of Iran

He has led 11 games since joining the Iranian national team, and the last one with South Korea is the only one he has not won so far. In the first part of the qualifiers, he took over from Marc Wilmots the type that was in a "shaky" state (two defeats in four matches) and scored four victories to enter the second part of the qualifiers in which Iran is currently leading, ahead of South Korea. In 11 games under Skočić's leadership, Iran remained clean in as many as eight, and its total goal difference is 30: 3. What is the secret of Skocic's revival of the Iranian national team?

- I think that the most important thing is that we work with quality and detail. Of course, it helped me that I have been in Iran for seven years and that I know the league and the players, but quality work with the staff, which includes Mario Tot and Mladen Žganjer , is the main reason for good results.

Iran now has one of the best generations in the history of the national team. He is currently 22nd in the Fifa rankings, five places behind Croatia, and his best placement so far was 15th place in 2005, when the legendary national team players Ali Daei and Ali Karimi played, and the strategist was Croatian expert Branko Ivanković , highly regarded in Iran. In addition to these two of our experts, the Iranian national team was also led by Stanko Poklepović , Tomislav Ivić and Miroslav Blažević . Many other Croatian coaches worked in Iran, so we were interested in whether the strategist behind winning the Croatian Cup with Rijeka in 2006 contacted someone before taking over the Iranian national team.

- I was not in contact with them before the takeover of Iran, nor did I ask for advice, but we are all on good terms here and we communicate. Perhaps I was closest to Zlatko Kranjčar , who was really human. I was in Iran when I found out he had died and I cried all morning. That day I went to a Persepolis match in the afternoon and calmed down a bit, and when I entered the stadium and saw that a large picture had been placed in the stands in his memory , I cried again. When Branko and I once came to Qatar to watch the matches of Iranian clubs in the Asian Champions League, he heard that we were coming and welcomed us as friends by preparing a big feast for us. It has nothing to do with football and tactics, this man was simply wonderful as a person - Skočić said emotionally.

Now you have several European-renowned names in the national team, such as Azmoun (Zenit), Jahanbakhsha (Feyenoord) and Taremi (Porto), and among those European names is Dinamo's Sadegh Moharrami . What do you think of him?

- I have known Mohu since he was 16 because I was leading Malavan at the time , and he was in the junior selections. Even then, he showed a lot, and now he is growing into a top football player. He is still in Dinamo , but due to injuries and unfortunate circumstances he has not yet managed to reach his full potential, but if everything goes as it should, he will show it. He is a great guy and footballer.

How would you describe the difference on the field in the Iranian and Croatian leagues?

- Iranian footballers are individually technically savvy and physically resilient , truly at an enviable level. And what they lack and where I see a lot of room for improvement is tactical ability, they’re not that good at it yet, but when I look at the long term, it’s something that can be learned and that will raise the Iranian football ladder even further. Europeans have always been tactically tidy, and as Iran has more and more players in European clubs, that is slowly starting to change.

Lack of understanding

You have already talked about this in the talks, but we are interested in how you would briefly describe the Iranian mentality to a Croat , since many of our people do not understand the difference between Arabs and Iranians.

- The first characteristic that Iranians are specific for is exceptional hospitality , I would first say that to every Croat and I am already explaining it to them. In European countries, due to lack of knowledge and understanding, a completely wrong image has been created about Iran, and when you come to Iran you would realize how wonderful a nation it is and how much it respects and values ​​other people.

Hopefully people actually read the interview as for what it is and not what Iranian media interprets the actual interview as... I bolded the part in which Skocic describes Iranian football strengths and weaknesses within a footballing context in the interview as I have seen a lot of posts on PFDC misinterpret what the coach actually has said.

Comment

The first time that I read this and now that I read this again, I get the same impression that he is trying to portray Iran and Iranian soccer players in the best light possible. How people have a problem with this article, I'll never understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Farzadfarhangni View Post
        The first time that I read this and now that I read this again, I get the same impression that he is trying to portray Iran and Iranian soccer players in the best light possible. How people have problem with this article, I'll never understand.
        Iranian people are an emotional bunch, and sometimes we don't want to accept things the way they are. I am willing to bet Taremi read a "summarized" version of this interview, fired off a Tweet without even sitting on it for 30-45 minutes, and here we are. Hell even if Skocic had criticized our domestic league...is he wrong? Even right on PFDC we criticize our domestic league on a daily basis.

Comment

Thank you Leicester City jaan for the posting the Sko's interview again. Facts are better than any argument.

Any objective mind reading Sko's interview would say (as Navidkia said a few days later) that this he is speaking on what he sees as lacking. It's the job of any decent coach to focus on what is missing both generally and specifically. Obviously, Sko is not talking about Sardar, Azmoun or likes of them who have been playing in Europe. He actually says that Iranian players playing in Europe is changing the lack of tactical awareness. REGARDLESS of whether Sko's comments were right or wrong, Taremi's response along with his other comments on lack of restoration of team unity after CQ's departure were and are uncalled for since he attempted to publicly humiliate the TM HC. He has had his forum with Sko, Hashemian and Bagheri during the camps and I am sure all of them would answer his phone call (again regardless of whether they called him or not). Also, the issue of tactics and strategy and tactical ability of players is really in the domain of technical staff and technical committee of the federation. The player's domain is to focus on execution. Players have every right to provide their input in private forums yet it is not in their domain of responsibility.

Once and for all, before this gets any worse, Mehdi needs to first pick up the phone, call the coach and apologize for his behavior and then complement that with a public apology. It doesn't get any simpler than that when it comes to taking responsibility. He should learn from the Risespor fiasco that costed him six month suspension, $100k (he delivered the check to Perspolis himself when they were in Qatar for a match) and a public apology since it also hurt Perspolis who got a six month transfer ban. Since this is not his first time, Mehdi should tells us what he he is going to do to avoid making similar mistakes in the future since he caused damage to TM and the position of its HC (jayegah-eh sar morabi eh Team Melli) REGARDLESS OF WHO THE COACH IS.

Come on Mehdi, show that you are a person of character and take action. It's the TM we are talking about here.

Go TM!

Comment

It's NOT from this interview where the problems started. Taremi had a problem with Skocic from the beginning. The interview was just an excuse to attack him once again. No sane person would feel insulted by such a comment from Skocic.

Comment

If anything, he was being too generous. The truth is:

- Iranian players are technically good, thanks to years of Gol-Kuchik.

- Until CQ era, they were physically weak, with low-stamina. Vey few were 90 minute players.

- They were and are psychologically weak and fragile. The loss to Japan in AC was a prime example of this weakness.

- Tactically weak, due to no lack of youth program and competent youth coaches.

- Back to phycological issues, most were and are more interested in individual glory than team victory. Most with inflated egos. Most lack basic professional discipline. Most have problem with leadership, each wanting to be the head-honcho rather than a role-player.

So, he was being waaaaaay too generous. Hats off to him.
              Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

Thanks for posting it. So members here can read it.

I always thought iranians inside in iran are not educated enough (due to oppression and censorship) to use internet and search stuff , but now i can see that some iranians outside are in the same boat if not worse! I've seen so many member here judging skocic without even reading his full interview.

Comment

TM's practice today in Beirut. Still missing Sardar, Allahyar, Gholi, Abedz and Milad.

Here is a link to all the photos: http://ffiri.ir/fa/news/10159/%D8%AA...B1%D9%88%D8%AA

Go TM!

Comment

Originally posted by Leicester City View Post
                    Hopefully people actually read the interview as for what it is and not what Iranian media interprets the actual interview as... I bolded the part in which Skocic describes Iranian football strengths and weaknesses within a footballing context in the interview as I have seen a lot of posts on PFDC misinterpret what the coach actually has said.
                    No. some ppl suffer from vertigo, migraines, constipation or diarrhea if they actually READ something for themselves ..... instead of listening to some third or fourth hand accounts!!!

we just LOVE our "1-crow , 40-crows"!

Comment

Working...
                    X