• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by armen View Post
    Croatian newspaper interviews Skocic about what happened with TM:
    https://sportske.jutarnji.hr/sn/nogo...ednik-15265636

Here's the translation:

An incredible change of Croatian expert: 'I was replaced by a new president, some players and - my successor!'
    Written by: Goran Čičin-Mašansker Published: October 23, 2022 07:01

Dragan Skočić took over the national team of Iran in February 2020, in 18 games he achieved 15 wins, a draw and two losses. He was first in the qualifying group with South Korea, the United Arab Emirates, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon, and secured an appearance at the World Cup in Qatar.

However, the Croatian expert will not lead Iran at the tournament in Qatar, instead the Portuguese Carlos Queiroz was returned to the selection position. After a month and a half, Skočić decided to announce the details of his sudden job loss in an interview with Sportske novosti.

How do you feel a month and a half after leaving the position of coach of the Iranian national team?

- I feel good, I am slowly returning to normal after the obvious injustice that was done to me and my staff. They took away the World Cup from us, but they can't take away the fact that we achieved the fastest qualification ever for the WC in Asia, with the most victories and points won. From the 33rd place in the FIFA ranking, we raised Iran to the 22nd place and left them as the first national team in Asia. Even when we know that we didn't start from scratch, but from a point deficit, it's harder for us to understand and accept all this, but life goes on - said Dragan Skočić.

How were you informed that you are no longer a selector?

- After Mehdi Taj was elected president of the Football Association of Iran, they told me that they no longer count on me. The president, who had previously worked with Carlos Queiroz, announced that if he wins the elections, he will hire the same coach again. It is normal there, that when the new president comes, they sweep away the selector who he did not bring, so that in the event of a possible success of the national team, there is no situation where the president cannot be credited.

Queiroz previously led Iran, from 2011 to 2019, and Mehdi Taj led the Iranian Football Association at that time as well...

- It is interesting that this is the same president who resigned before my arrival, and who, among other things, was under great pressure from the public for signing a multi-million dollar contract with the Belgian Marc Wilmots. During his reign, the national team was already one foot outside the WC. We returned Iran to where it realistically belongs, and Taj was returned and rewarded with a trip to the WC, I might even add that he returned as a hero. Who can understand that logic...

Do you resent Taja for firing you?

- Professionally, I can't blame him for anything, because he used his powers. He didn't promise me anything, but if I were in his place, I would have kept the coach who saved me from the stigma of elimination already at the first step of qualifying for the World Cup.

And how do you comment on Queiroz?

- In our life or our profession, we meet people almost every day who have achieved impressive careers in their field of activity. When we talk about coaches, they coached the biggest clubs or led national teams at the WC. But among them we can single out only a few to which we can add the prefix 'big'. Those who are "big" do not reach the goal by all possible means. They do not negotiate with a team that has a coach, nor do they advertise in the media by posting messages to players coached by another colleague.
    Ready for anything

Did you already notice that something like this was coming your way, or was the shift a surprise to you too?

- It was a surprise to me, considering the results achieved. It all went against common sense. But, during my entire mandate, I was "replaced" on many occasions by various interest groups without any reason, so I was ready for anything. At first they ignored me, because everyone thought we would be eliminated in the first qualifiers, which were played in Bahrain. We had no right to drop a point there, we were written off by everyone. We won in a row, reversed the dynamics, and continued in the same style in the next qualifiers. We were undefeated, and they started criticizing me, which I understood as personal progress, because after the ignoring phase, criticizing is something like reaching the next level. After we qualified, I started to literally get in the way, the attacks came from all sides. They finally realized that I'm good, but also that I don't let myself be led.
    Meetings with politicians

However, it turned out that you had too strong opponents in your "own ranks". Did you manage to figure out who was doing everything behind your back?

- Behind my dismissal stands the newly elected president, some players inclined towards him, who supported him during the election out of their own interest, and the coach who succeeded me on the bench. He was in communication with these same players and people from the alliance for a long time.

So the players also had an active role in the whole story?

- The passive reactions of the decision makers towards the players allowed them to enter into something that is not their competence. The Alliance's consultation with the players on decisions irrelevant to their jobs gave them more and more importance and encouraged them to interfere more and more. It was completely disappointing to learn that in the end the players began to "overlap" the Federation and meet with high-ranking politicians, especially the minister of sports, who was in contact with Queiroz through one of the previous people from the administration.

What were the reactions of the national team members after your dismissal, did any of them contact you?

- A few of them publicly supported me, and most of them were afraid that this would compromise their trip to SP, so they sent messages personally. These few who had their favorite coach and who judged me based on their preferences and interests, they did not declare themselves publicly. They said that they were soldiers of the national team and that they did not want to get involved, and they were really involved.

This is the first time you are talking about this topic to the media, why didn't you announce it right away?

- For the last month, Iran has been in a situation that has deeply worried and saddened me, as someone who has spent a long time in that country. I did not announce my departure in the media out of respect for all my friends and all those who were going through uncertain and difficult days at that moment.

After all, you're probably pretty disappointed that you won't be seeing the World Cup as a coach?

- For all of us who are in football, the World Cup is the pinnacle of our career, including for me. I have given my all in these almost three years and it is normal that I am disappointed. However, there are human values ​​for me that are much more important than SP. The concept of success has a somewhat deeper meaning for me. I am proud of the way I went through the qualifications. From the first day to the last, I faced many obstacles and difficulties, and I managed to remain myself, I kept my integrity and dignity until the very end. I knew how to handle the pressure around me. I was immune to a considerable number of fabricated stories and petty hoaxes by pseudo-football experts and analysts from the media and from social networks. In addition, we brought a sum of money with which they could cover expensive mistakes from the past and use it for the development of football in the country in the future.
    Recreational role

What can Iran do in Qatar in the company of England, USA and Wales?

- Iran has the quality to pass the group, provided that they do not accept a reactive role again at the big competition, which does not benefit them considering their attacking potential. Everything that is not passing the group should be considered a failure of the first Asian national team - said Dragan Skočić.

LOOKING AT THE WORLD CUP I will support Croatia and Spain

Who do you see as the favorite for the world title?

- Brazil, the Netherlands, Belgium and France. And personally, along with Croatia, I will cheer for Spain to win the title, their football has always been the closest to me.

Croatia defends silver from Russia. What prospects do you give the Vatren and how does our national team look to you at the moment?

- I believe that ours can go far, it is important that everyone is healthy when it is most needed. I like the young people who are coming, they bring new energy. The positive experience from Russia is also important, it brings with it a certain mentality that can be decisive for this great competition. Going to the Final Four of the League of Nations is also a confirmation that we can, and that we are on the right path - believes Skočić. (gcm)

HNL We sell good players to buy bad ones

How much do you follow HNL, how do you comment on the current season?

- I follow the league as much as I can. An absurd paradox is happening in our domestic football; we sell good players to buy bad ones. It is difficult to maintain the quality of the league that way. Dinamo's standard quality level is higher than the others. Hajduk can hardly match them in this championship. Osijek is in a good dynamic. Varaždin and Slaven Belupo positively surprised me. The biggest disappointment is certainly my Rijeka, which this year failed in its intention to revalue the players it brought in, and it succeeded in previous seasons, and Gorica, which compared to last season is in an obvious decline. (gcm)

CAREER Of course I would go back to Iran, wonderful people live there

You have accumulated rich coaching experience in the Middle East. Would you go back there again or maybe it's time for a European destination?

- Somehow, it is most logical for me to continue my career in Asia, I have been on that market for years, although the European destination is my constant target. I already had some offers, but I didn't want to rush. I need some rest and certainly patience to find a team with which I can repeat the success.

Would you return to Iran one day?

- Of course. Just because I had a negative experience with certain people does not mean that all Iranians are bad. I have always tried to break prejudices and myths about Iran as a negative country, as suggestively offered by the Western media, scaring the Iranian world.​

Comment

IR Iran: Five players to watch

• IR Iran are ready for a third consecutive FIFA World Cup appearance
      • Azmoun and Taremi double-act lead the line
      • Abedzadeh following on his father’s footsteps
      As IR Iran prepare to participate in their third consecutive FIFA World Cup campaign, the nation’s finest generation aspires to make it past the group stage at the sixth time of asking.
      To date, Team Melli fans remember with agony Mehdi Taremi’s squandered chance. The ball on his left foot, eight yards out and only Rui Patricio to beat, the would-be Porto goal machine failed to hit the target for what would have been the goal to send Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal crashing and Iran miraculously into the next round out of a group that also included Morocco and 2010 world champions Spain.
      Four years on, Taremi is one of the players who has grown in stature since Russia 2018, while others - such as goalkeeper Amir Abedzadeh and midfielder Ahmad Nourollahi - have come to the fore. As for the likes of Vahid Amiri, Mourteza Pouraliganji and Karim Ansarifard, whose international careers have dwindled over recent years, they will hope that the return of former mentor Carlos Queiroz as coach - announced today - will revive their hopes.
      Here are five players worth keeping an eye on as Team Melli look to create history in Qatar 2022.

Amir AbedzadehAmir Abedzadeh

Position: Goalkeeper Age: 29

Four years ago, Iran goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand made headlines in Russia 2018 when he saved a penalty kick from Portugal ace Ronaldo as 25-year-old Amir Abedzadeh watched from the substitutes bench.
      Back then, no team amongst the 16 eliminated from the group stage conceded fewer goals than Iran (2), and if they are to achieve their elusive dream of advancing to the next round in the closest tournament to home yet, goalkeeping heroics will be of utmost importance against the likes of Harry Kane, Gareth Bale and Christian Pulisic.
      Heading into Qatar 2022, that task seems to be destined for Abedzadeh, who came through the ranks at Tottenham Hotspur and Brentford. Now approaching 30, he has firmly overtaken Beiranvand into the pole position to start between the sticks as he continues to impress in Spain where he represents second division side Ponferradina.
      The clash against the United States will particularly be a special moment for Abedzadeh whose father, Ahmad Abedzadeh, captained Iran when they played the USA in the FIFA World Cup France 1998, leading them to a famous 2-1 victory.

Omid NoorafkanOmid Noorafkan

Position: Left-back/defensive midfielder Age: 24

One of only a few starting players for Team Melli who ply their trade at home, the Sepahan defender adds versatility to the Iran side. Capable of playing as left-back, defensive midfielder or even central defender when called upon, Noorafkan has steadily grown in influence.
      He narrowly missed out on the previous edition of the World Cup, having been part of Queiroz’s extended squad before being cut out of the final roster. Since then, however, the former Esteghlal player’s blend of steel and elegance saw him gradually take over the starting role from national team captain Ehsan Hajsafi.
      While Qatar 2022 will be Noorafkan’s first World Cup, the utility man had the experience of captaining his nation at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea Republic 2017, their first appearance in that age group in 16 years.

Ahmad Nourollahi Ahmad Nourollahi

Position: Central midfielder Age: 29

For years, Queiroz’s Iran had three mainstays rotating in the heart of midfield, with one of Saeed Ezatollahi, Omid Ebrahimi and Hajsafi starting every one of the team’s nine matches in major competitions since 2018.
      Nourollahi, meanwhile, was slowly but steadily developing into one of the most reliable midfielders in Iranian and Asian football, leading Tehran powerhouse Persepolis to two AFC Champions League finals and four consecutive Iran Pro League titles. A place in Team Melli’s starting XI had to wait, though, with Nourollahi a few months shy of his 26th birthday when he made his international debut.
      The arrival of Dragan Skocic as coach resulted in a drastic change of fortunes for the midfielder, who became an indispensable part of the national team setup throughout the Asian Qualifiers for Qatar 2022. Combative off the ball and calm in possession, Nourollahi’s ability to strike the ball from range saw him register three goals in the qualifiers, and he has gained further experience following a move to UAE club Shabab Al Ahli.
      While not necessarily the fastest or most physical player, Nourollahi’s exemplary positioning and eye for a progressive pass means he is expected to play a key role in protecting the back four as well as starting attacks for Iran in Qatar.

Mehdi TaremiMehdi Taremi

Position: Winger Age: 30

Very few players have experienced the rapid rise to stardom that Mehdi Taremi underwent in recent years. In 2014, the versatile forward was plying his trade in the second tier of Iranian football, and nowhere near the national team. Fast forward to 2022; Taremi is a household name in European football, with a FIFA Puskás Award nomination and the top scorer award in the Portuguese Primeira Liga to his name.
      On the international front, Taremi formed a devastating trio alongside Sardar Azmoun and Alireza Jahanbakhsh, with the three of them combining for over 170 international goals between them. Taremi is headed to his second FIFA World Cup as seventh amongst Iran’s all-time top scorers with 27 goals in 58 caps.

Sardar AzmounSardar Azmoun

Position: Striker Age: 27

The Yin to Taremi’s Yang, Sardar Azmoun has spearheaded Iran’s attack for the past seven years with great success. While Taremi drifts wide and hovers around the box, Azmoun uses his combination of poacher’s instinct and imposing physique to convert chances.
      Having never played his senior club football at home, Azmoun started his senior career at Russian Premier League side Rubin Kazan, opting for a move abroad at the expense of offers from Iran giants Esteghlal and Persepolis. In nearly a decade in Russian football, Azmoun established himself as one of the most recognised goalscorers in European football, becoming the all-time highest Iranian top scorer in the UEFA Champions League.
      In January, it was time for a new adventure as the 27-year-old moved to Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen.
      After missing out on a place in the Iran squad for Brazil 2014, Azmoun enhanced his reputation at the AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015, where he scored a wonder goal against Qatar in the group stage then opened the scoring in their quarter-finals 3-3 draw against Iraq; a game they eventually lost on penalty shootouts.
      Four years later in UAE, Azmoun finished second to Qatar’s Almoez Ali in the competition’s scoring charts, bagging four goals. He is currently the nation’s third all-time top scorer with 40 international goals. Only the legendary Ali Daei has a better strike rate than Azmoun’s 0.63 goals per game for Team Melli.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/art...moun-noorafkan

Comment

training in Dubai under TM physiotherapist Micael Moreira

Comment

In the event that CQ needs them for practice or more, 11 U21 players listed below are added to the U19 team for training.
          1 Sina Abdollahi Naft MS RB 21y 6m 13d
          2 Mohamadmehdi Ahmadi Persepolis LB 21y 9m 18d
          3 Arya Barzegar Naft MS FW 20y 0m 18d
          4 Alireza Bavieh Foulad MF 20y 2m 7d
          5 Mohammadhossein Eslami Zobahan RW 21y 6m 15d
          6 Mohammad Hossein Ghorbani Sepahan CB 21y 5m 7d
          7 Mehdi Hasheminejad Tractor RW 21y 0m 1d
          8 Mohammadamin Hazbavi Foulad CB 19y 5m 22d
          9 Amirali Sadeghi Esteghlal RW 21y 8m 19d
          10 Ahmad Shariatzadeh Sanat Naft FW 20y 3m 27d
          11 Saman Toranian Mes Kerman RB 20y 10m 16d

لیست اسامی دعوت شده به شرح زیر است:

محمد قربانی (سپاهان)، امیرعلی صادقی (استقلال)، محمدحسین اسلامی (ذوب‌آهن)، محمدامین حزباوی (فولاد)، سامان تورانیان (مس کرمان)، آریا برزگر (نفت مسجدسلیمان)، سینا عبداللهی (نفت مسجدسلیمان)، احمد شریعت‌زاده (صنعت نفت آبادان)، محمدمهدی احمدی (پرسپولیس)، علیرضا باویه (فولاد) و مهدی هاشم‌نژاد (تراکتور
          Last edited by St_Mark; 10-28-2022, 06:46 PM.

Comment

So much for Taremi's criticism of Skocic regarding inviting too many players to TM camps. CQ is looking at so many new players over the past few weeks. Clearly both him and Skocic felt that our current players are deficient / team lacks depth.

Comment

Comment

*Thursday, Nov 10
                11:00 َAM

Comment

Originally posted by koorosh View Post
                  So much for Taremi's criticism of Skocic regarding inviting too many players to TM camps. CQ is looking at so many new players over the past few weeks. Clearly both him and Skocic felt that our current players are deficient / team lacks depth.
                  he had to name a provisional squad of 55 players so he would have wanted to look closer at more players. Also if there are players out injured who can’t make the squad this will also give him a better understanding of some players qualities who maybe he had not enough knowledge on before.

Comment

Nour suffer from knee ligament injury, most likely miss WC, huge loss😔😔

Comment

Today's training - Only 10 player.

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
                        Nour suffer from knee ligament injury, most likely miss WC, huge loss😔😔
                        The day he left persepolis
                        I said he will miss the WC.
                        I didn't know he will get injured but I knew
                        His level of play will drop going from being the man in pp to
                        a uae league..
                        Hey at least he is financially secure .

Comment

here is the video of nourollahi injury. Would be incredible if he managed to escape serious ligament damage (ACL probably). Knee twists bizarrely after plant.

I am not his biggest fan but he definitely would have been a useable player, at least off the bench to keep energy levels high in second half. He performed this role well vs Uruguay.

I guess this guarantees involvement of Ali Karimi, and also opens window for somebody like Khodabandelou or mehdipour

Comment

In the area which Ahmad n can play
                            we
                            Have
                            Saeed. Rozbeh. Omid. Saman Sarlak mehdipour

Cq might call up ali karimi now

No difference in results with Ahmad or not
                            IN CQ SYSTEM
                            AS OF RIGHT NOW ONLY PLAYER IS NOR PLACEABLE
                            IS MEHDI TAREMI.
                            TAREMI.

IN CQ WE LOVE
                            IN CQ WE TRUST
                            GOD SAVE THE KING.

Comment

This is a big loss, i know people here don't like him but he has been the most consistent CM in TM in the last 4 years, he became almost regular since the last Asian cup and since 3 different coaches keep trusting him as regular.
                              It is simple, he cover lots of field, he is all over
                              ​​​​​​, anticipate the game very well and between Saeed, Ebrahimi, Sarlak, Karimi has the better vision.

And yes it is UAE but these guys they don't keep you play if you don't perform and this is one of the toughest position to play in such money matter leagues because they can get tons from south america or brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post

here is the video of nourollahi injury. Would be incredible if he managed to escape serious ligament damage (ACL probably). Knee twists bizarrely after plant.

I am not his biggest fan but he definitely would have been a useable player, at least off the bench to keep energy levels high in second half. He performed this role well vs Uruguay.

I guess this guarantees involvement of Ali Karimi, and also opens window for somebody like Khodabandelou or mehdipour
                                He was going to start all 3 games. I had no doubt in my mind. Hope it is not serious.
                                Non of mehdipour, AK are not close to him in level of being much better package

Comment

Working...
                                X