• Show
Clear All

World cup dream team

Name your dream team of the World cup. Mine is:

--------------Torres----Klose-------------

C.Ronaldo---Riquelme----Zidane----Rodriguez

Lahm-----Thuram-----Cannavaro-----Sagnol

-----------------Buffon--------------------

The main disappointment is this WC was the strikers (except for Klose), they just didn't play well and I had a real hard time finding a partner for Klose and only picked Torres because he was the better of the other strikers and not particularly because he was stunning.

Also I didn't want to include Ronaldo since I really don't like him but he was to be honest the best left winger so I've got to swallow my pride...

Other than that its a great team

--------------Messi----Tevez-------------
    ---Pirlo---Riquelme----Zidane----Rodriguez-
    Grosso---Thuram-----Cannavaro-----Kaebi-
    pretty similar

Comment

--------------Henry------------
      -------------Zidane------------
      Malouda------------------Ribery
      -------Viera-----Makalele-------
      Abidal--Gallas---Thuram--Sagnol
      ------------Barthez------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rooz
        pretty similar

good team!

sadly Tevez and Messi weren't given enough time to prove they were the best.

swap Zambrotta for Kaebi and Lahm for Grosso though and I'd prob go with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Sraosa
          --------------Henry------------
          -------------Zidane------------
          Malouda------------------Ribery
          -------Viera-----Makalele-------
          Abidal--Gallas---Thuram--Sagnol
          ------------Barthez------------
          Barthez and Abidal...hmmmm...I'm not even sure they're the best gk and left back in the French team!

If I was gonna pick a team it would have to be Argentina.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooz
            pretty similar
            Umm have you got something against Germans

Comment

Originally posted by zereshk-ali
              Barthez and Abidal...hmmmm...I'm not even sure they're the best gk and left back in the French team!
              If I was gonna pick a team it would have to be Argentina.
              Argentina? Yes, they scored a couple of memorable goals and had a couple of good performances but I mean come on, Serbia were the whipping boys of Group D. They truly sucked in this WC, everyone beat them - so 6-0 wasn't such an amazing achievement. If it was 6-0 against France, Spain, Brazil, e.t.c. then it would be an achievement!

In any case, your talking about the same Argentina that failed to even make it past the quarter finals, some team they are!

Comment

---------------------Henry----Torres---------------------

-------C.Ronaldo------Pirlo----Zidane-------Tevez-------

---------Grosso----Thuram----Cannavaro-----Zambrotta--

-------------------------Buffon--------------------------

Coach:
                Marcello Lippi
                The Worker-communist Party of Iran (WPI)
                For the struggle in Iran: "In retrospect, all revolutions seem inevitable. Beforehand, all revolutions seem impossible.
                http://iransolidarity.blogspot.com/
                http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=96192296995
                http://worker-communistpartyofiran.blogspot.com/
                http://www.youtube.com/user/WPITV

Comment

Argentina? Yes, they scored a couple of memorable goals and had a couple of good performances but I mean come on, Serbia were the whipping boys of Group D. They truly sucked in this WC, everyone beat them - so 6-0 wasn't such an amazing achievement. If it was 6-0 against France, Spain, Brazil, e.t.c. then it would be an achievement!
                  In any case, your talking about the same Argentina that failed to even make it past the quarter finals, some team they are!
                  Rarely do the best team in a tournament actually win it. I think most pundits would agree that they were the most impressive team in the tournament.

Failed to make it past the quarter finals yes, but losing on penalties when they had the better of the game against Germany. They went home unbeaten.

Comment

Originally posted by TAKHTI
                    Umm have you got something against Germans
                    lol no, germany were good as a team, individually they're shocking (except for ballack, Lahm, lehman, kloser, podolski, frings, sweinstiger, boroski......yes i have somethign against them... ...no seriously, i dunno, only ballack an dlahm stick out for me.)

for me grosso has been the best left back without a doubt, you cant fault the others.

Comment

Rarely do the best team in a tournament actually win it.
                      Really? that's BS. You are confusing 'Best team' with 'Most attractive team to watch', and the two are not necessarily one and the same. Argentina played some nice football and were good to watch, but their performance against the Germans was way below par and this supposed 'best team' failed to do anything at all, not to mention their tie with Holland. Calling Argentina the best team is an insult to many more deserving nations such as Germany who were much more consistent.

I think most pundits would agree that they were the most impressive team in the tournament.
                      Which pundits who this be now? the very same English ones you are constantly bashing?

Failed to make it past the quarter finals yes, but losing on penalties when they had the better of the game against Germany. They went home unbeaten.
                      What the hell? perhaps the concept that after a tie a penalty shoot-out is employed to find the winner hasn't quite driven home yet? Claiming they went home unbeaten, you're only deluding yourself....and if this Argentina of yours was ever so special they would have produced something in the 120 minutes of open play they had to win the match.

Comment

Really? that's BS. You are confusing 'Best team' with 'Most attractive team to watch', and the two are not necessarily one and the same. Argentina played some nice football and were good to watch, but their performance against the Germans was way below par and this supposed 'best team' failed to do anything at all, not to mention their tie with Holland. Calling Argentina the best team is an insult to many more deserving nations such as Germany who were much more consistent.
                        Really? I'm not sure Bolton fans would be well positioned to tell which is the best team or the most attractive having to regularly watch the kind of anti-football Fat Sam plays

Argentina went out of the tournament due to penalties and some bad coaching decisions. And they were unbeaten.

Germany were a better and more consistent side than Argentina? Well, how come a "below par performance" from Argentina against Germany saw them through to penalties with nearly 60% possession, more shots on goal and - aside from the 30 minutes where Germany were desperately searching for an equaliser - took the game to Germany for the entire match.

As for consistency, when beating Serbia (who finished top of Spain's qualifying group) 6-0 you really can't keep that football up for the whole tournament. How many teams came up to the standard of football that Argentina produced? Certainly not Germany. When it mattered most they got played off the park against Italy and this despite getting the home team refereeing decisions for much of this match and the Argentina one.

And in terms of Germany's consistent performances up to the qf I don't think the likes of Costa Rica, Poland, Ecuador and Sweden can be compared with Ivory Coast, Serbia, Holland and Mexico. Do you?!

Don't get me wrong, Germany were a very good team that deserved a good run, but to say they were more deserving than Argentina is fanciful.

Which pundits who this be now? the very same English ones you are constantly bashing? .
                        Well, not all the British media conscribed to the anti-Ronaldo witch hunt that was a p*ss take. Some of them are intelligent, well-observed journalists who lamented the early exit of what they saw as the most complete technical team who deserved to go a lot further.

What the hell? perhaps the concept that after a tie a penalty shoot-out is employed to find the winner hasn't quite driven home yet? Claiming they went home unbeaten, you're only deluding yourself....and if this Argentina of yours was ever so special they would have produced something in the 120 minutes of open play they had to win the match.
                        Well that argument doesn't really wash since none of the final four teams managed to win the tournament without the need for penalties. Indeed only France managed to reach the final without needing a penalty shoot out and some may argue that this might have been different but for a couple of dubious decisions given to Henry....

Comment

----------------------Buffon---------------------
                          -----------Canavaro------------Thuram----------
                          ---Zambrotta---------------------------Lahm----
                          --------------------Maniche--------------------
                          -------Ribery-----------------------Pirlo--------
                          --------------------Zidane---------------------
                          -----------Henry-------------Klose-----------
                          Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

Originally posted by Amin_
                            ----------------------Buffon---------------------
                            -------Ribery-----------------------Pirlo--------
                            -----------Henry-------------Klose-----------
                            amin jan, i like ur line up, nad my line up is almost the same except that i would replace pirlo with christiano ronaldo.

henry didnt have a very successful worldcup campaign either but i neither did the other forwards,,, crespo, tevez, torres, raul, toni, gilardinho, rooney, owen, nistelroy, all were about the same level as henry.

maybe podolski with klose would be good enough but anywayz, i will just put henry there.

---------------------Buffon---------------------
                            -------Ribery------------------C. Ronaldo--------
                            ----Henry/podolski-------------Klose----------

on second thoughts, maybe viera deserved to be in that list more than henry & podolski, so i will go with a 4-2-3-1

---------------------Buffon---------------------
                            --------------Viera------Maniche--------------------
                            -------Ribery--------------------C. Ronaldo--------
                            -----------------Zidane---------------------
                            ------------------------Klose----------
                            Originally posted by siavasharian
                            ESTEGHLAL:

بهترین خط دفاع.بهترین خط حمله.ثبت رکورد بیشترین گل زده.پر امتیاز ترین تیم ادوار لیگ برتر با ۴۰۹ امتیاز.پر افتخار ترین مربی لیگ برتر با دو قهرمانی
                            بهترین گلزن لیگ: آرش برهانی [استقلال] با ۲۱ گل زدهبهترین خط حمله: استقلال تهران با ۷۰ گل زده

Comment

-----------------------Buffon---------------------
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              -----------Cannavaro-------Thuram---------------
                              --Sagnol--------------Viera----------------Lahm--
                              ----------Ribery--------------C. Ronaldo----------
                              ----------------------Zidane---------------------
                              ------------Henry---------------Klose------------

Subs: Barthez, Abondanzieri, Gallas, Ayala, Zambrotta, Grosso, Pirlo, Van Persie, Schweinsteiger, Deco, Podolski and Torres

This would be my 23 man squad.
                              Open to disucssion of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X